PDA

View Full Version : PST in Alberta

Daxin
11-17-2003, 04:53 PM
I can't remember why and when the province of Alberta hid the PST tax. Does anyone know the reason for this and how come it's cheaper here in ALberta then in other provinces except for the fact that we are the richest Province.

thich
11-17-2003, 05:04 PM
the best information i can find thus far:

http://www.canlii.org/ab/sta/csa/20030217/r.s.a.2000c.a-36/whole.html

from what I understand from a business standpoint, Klein's government wants to foster an atmosphere where business can boom in Alberta - a provincial sales tax would just add to the burden of taxation for businesses in Alberta... possibly detracting from any type of investment appeal.

no pst is good - less money for us to have to pay at the till :clap:

rage2
11-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Daxin
I can't remember why and when the province of Alberta hid the PST tax. Does anyone know the reason for this and how come it's cheaper here in ALberta then in other provinces except for the fact that we are the richest Province.
The province of alberta never "hid" the PST, they never had it in the first place.

If you're talking about hiding the MST (manufacturer's sales tax), that was "hidden"/replaced by the GST.

link785
11-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Yep, Alberta is the only province with no sales tax. Honestly tho, we pay more in a LOT of other fields, so it really makes no difference.

GTS Jeff
11-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by link785
Yep, Alberta is the only province with no sales tax. Honestly tho, we pay more in a LOT of other fields, so it really makes no difference. like what?

link785
11-17-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
like what?

Friday night movie at Silver City - $13.95 + GST

Friday night movie back east - $8.95 + HST (15%)

Just one example, there's hundreds more, from our higher than average insurance premiums to electricity costs to health care.

4wheeldrift
11-17-2003, 07:02 PM

And if people stopped going to movies, you can bet you'd see ticket prices dropping a lot. The price rises on a luxury item like that rises because people are willing to pay it.

link785
11-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
And if people stopped going to movies, you can bet you'd see ticket prices dropping a lot. The price rises on a luxury item like that rises because people are willing to pay it.

I agree with you. However, the movies in Calgary are no more popular than anywhere else I've lived in Canada. They are the most expensive here tho, not sure why.

I'm just saying, PST is not the WORST thing in the world, we pay out the ass in other places, so in my opinion, we're still being ripped of money, it's just not going to the government.

rage2
11-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Last time I checked, movie ticket prices in Toronto are in the $13.50 + PST + GST range at all theaters.

link785
11-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Last time I checked, movie ticket prices in Toronto are in the $13.50 + PST + GST range at all theaters.

Could be, never lived in Toronto :thumbsup:

googe
11-17-2003, 07:17 PM
nah, not true. movies are expensive in calgary. go to red deer even and they are like 7-8 bucks again. province has nothing to do with it.

link785
11-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by googe
nah, not true. movies are expensive in calgary. go to red deer even and they are like 7-8 bucks again. province has nothing to do with it.

Could be also, never lived in Red Deer, lol. However, do they have big theaters like Silver City and Paramount Chinook?

civic_stylez
11-17-2003, 07:23 PM
yeah went to a movie in brampton ontario... cost me 9.00 calgary is such a rip off for movies.

szw
11-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Food in calgary restauraunts definately sucks compared to other cities (well vancouver and toronto) ...in quality, quantity, and espcially price!

gpomp
11-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Movie tickets are $13 something out here...

lam-boy
11-17-2003, 07:59 PM

Just one example, there's hundreds more, from our higher than average insurance premiums to electricity costs to health care.

its not 13.95 + gst

its like whatever + Gst = 13.95 or 13.50 or whatever.
its not 13.95+gst.

rage2
11-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Well obviously, smaller theatres are cheaper. Even in Calgary, the SilverCities were more expensive (well they used to be when they first opened). Someone's gotta pay for the expenses. Most small towns are cheaper because the theatres are smaller and not as well equipped in the audio department. I'll bet you Saskatchewan theatres are dirt cheap!

You get what you pay for.

link785
11-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy
its not 13.95 + gst

its like whatever + Gst = 13.95 or 13.50 or whatever.
its not 13.95+gst.

Alrighty, here you go, screen shotted, acutally my bad, it's more expensive than I thought:

http://www.velocityaddicts.com/movieticket.jpg

rage2
11-17-2003, 08:46 PM
Yea, there's a $1 "sucker fee" for buying online :).

link785
11-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Yea, there's a $1 "sucker fee" for buying online :).

Oh, so I was right with $13.95, lol

szw
11-17-2003, 09:03 PM
no he didn't say you had the price wrong...he said the gst is included in the 13.95, not on top of the 13.95 like you said.

link785
11-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by szw
no he didn't say you had the price wrong...he said the gst is included in the 13.95, not on top of the 13.95 like you said.

I know, GST is on top, not included.

szw
11-17-2003, 09:14 PM
holy shit...you can admit you are wrong...

btw...you are wrong

Daxin
11-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Are you sure Alberta has no PST? I remember in Economics class, the prof mentioned something about hiden PST taxes. I was like barely awake for those classes.

link785
11-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by szw
holy shit...you can admit you are wrong...

btw...you are wrong

Well, if I had a scanner, I would scan my movie tickets from last week, which came to a total of:

$29.86 for 2 general admissions.

szw
11-17-2003, 10:14 PM
you've got a digital camera don't you? lol

lam-boy
11-17-2003, 10:32 PM

Well, if I had a scanner, I would scan my movie tickets from last week, which came to a total of:

$29.86 for 2 general admissions.

maybe you should be watching your movies else where then man.
i dont know why your paying 13.95 + GST

i pay 13.xx WITH gst.

Weapon_R
11-17-2003, 10:37 PM
Back to the original question, Alberta has never had any sort of Provincial Sales Tax as far as I can remember.

And as for movie tickets being more expensive, what the hell does that have to do with taxes? Prices are based on the equilibrium between supply and demand, and not whether or not the government engages in price manipulation to make up for the lack of PST

TrevorK
11-17-2003, 11:08 PM
I imagine Silvercity in Toronto is pretty much the same price as here. Comparing our Silver Cities to the regular 20+ year old theater in Ontario isn't fair.

Hell, here is Edmonton there's two theaters in West Ed. Mall besides silver city - one charges $5, the other $3.50.

accordboi_02
11-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

Best quote I heard was from a friend that lives in San Fran: "It's only stupid if nobody will buy it"

same is true for this - if ppl are willing to spend $14 for a movie, why not charge it????

thich
11-17-2003, 11:47 PM
the companies have to recover their expenses on all these big expensive theatres = charge more... and ppl will always go watch movies... it's a way of life. so they will pay.

i don't think calgary has ANY small theatres except for that one in Kensington now...

szw
11-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Nope calgary has quite a few small independant theatres. Some REALLY small ones too haha.

Ben
11-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Back to the original question, Alberta has never had any sort of Provincial Sales Tax as far as I can remember.

And as for movie tickets being more expensive, what the hell does that have to do with taxes? Prices are based on the equilibrium between supply and demand, and not whether or not the government engages in price manipulation to make up for the lack of PST

FUCK!!! THANKYOU!!! An Intelligent response.

Please stop making shit up if you dont know.

Spenser
11-18-2003, 12:23 AM
What about the hidden tax we pay to people who can't hear?

link785
11-18-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

You're right, Alberta has never had a PST, and doesn't look like it will in the near future.

Movie tickets were just an example I said about things that cost more in Alberta than in other places. Just pointing out that we don't live in the cheapest place in the country, like a lot of people seem to believe.

Khyron
11-18-2003, 01:50 AM
You guys are all getting screwed! :poosie:

I pay 8.70 for Paramount, Coliseum - it doesn't matter - even Matrix on the Imax baby. Including GST. And I work for a travel agency.

But Abom/Link won't believe it, cause according to him, you can't make deals. :nut: ( You can get 5000+ off of a new SUV too :D )

Bwuhahahaha.

EDIT: And yah, comparing movies is silly because the population and theater size determines the price. If you want to compare, use something fixed like a Big Mac or a Teen Burger. Or a box of Tide at Walmart. Otherwise you're just spitting in the wind.

Khyron

redec
11-18-2003, 11:09 AM
I catch a movie at paramount probably about once per week, and I honestly can't remember the last time I paid a cent for it :P

JAYMEZ
11-18-2003, 11:16 AM
From what i remember in school we pay our "PST" in health care and house and car insurance. But then again its not called PST but it makes up for it.

link785
11-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
From what i remember in school we pay our "PST" in health care and house and car insurance. But then again its not called PST but it makes up for it.

Ah, perfect, this is exactly what I'm trying to say :thumbsup:

Khyron
11-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Bah he didn't take the bait. :(

Khyron

szw
11-18-2003, 06:59 PM
hey link where did you see hte movie that charged $29.86 for 2 general admissions? maybe it various from theatre, but every theatre i've ever been to includes gst in the price...but there are a couple in calgary i've never gone to.

Anyways i know i'm off topic but this just bugs me :D

TrevorK
11-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
You guys are all getting screwed! :poosie:

I pay 8.70 for Paramount, Coliseum - it doesn't matter - even Matrix on the Imax baby. Including GST. And I work for a travel agency.

All you need is a business and you get movie tickets for $6....

JAYMEZ
11-19-2003, 01:03 PM
just buy two tickets , then go inside , have your friend stay there and return his ticket and get his money back and then go back in with the ticket you have lol

Khyron
11-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Shrug - mine is legal. :P

What's the deal with the business getting 6$? You saying you write half off?

Khyron

TrevorK
11-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Shrug - mine is legal. :P

What's the deal with the business getting 6$? You saying you write half off?

Khyron

This method is perfectly legal too.

When you are a business and want to buy tickets in larger quantities, you can get them as low at $6/ticket.

sputnik
11-19-2003, 02:12 PM
silver city is crazy in calgary...

in winnipeg its $7.95 for all movies at Silver City every day... (no cheap tuesdays)... they are the SAME theatre setup... same sound... same screens... there is also the "Cinema City 8" chain (cheap theatres) for $2.25/movie and WAY cleaner and nicer than any cheap theatre here...

i also paid WAY less car insurance... what was $450/year in winnipeg for full coverage turned into $2800/year here with only PLPD

However property taxes and income taxes are higher there... and the PST of 7% doesnt help either...

davidI
11-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

This thread has gotten so off-topic with the movie theatre thing but I think we pay for 'pst' in a sense with increased user fees. Health care is a good example but insurance isn't really because it's private. Things like registry fees which involve money going to the government have gone up. Also just fees for government run facilities have increased. Since we live in such a privatized province there aren't too many gov't run facilities but the ones that are run by Ralphy cost a lot compared to what they should.

Khyron
11-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK

This method is perfectly legal too.

When you are a business and want to buy tickets in larger quantities, you can get them as low at $6/ticket.

Yah that's what we do (a bunch of oil companies downtown do groupbuys). But the ciniplex ones for 6.xx are worthless for me as all my films are at Famous Players. So 8.70 was the best we got this time around. Last year is was 8.10 I think.

Khyron

-250-
11-30-2003, 11:23 PM
We dont need PST in Alberta, because we are not in dept enough to need it. PST is a way for a province to gather income, otherwise not availble to them but since we are rolling in oil, cows, and grain we can afford not to have it.

It is true, we do pay a little more for luxuries here then other more easternly provinces, but thats okay without PST it cancels each other out.

:drama: :werd:

Toma
12-03-2003, 06:39 PM
You see though, property tax and business tax are really high here.... so the movie prices of course reflect that.

Also, utilities and gas are about 2 times more here then in our neighbour Saskatchewan.

We do not have PST because we help support the rest of Canada with transfer payments, which does come out of our system in the form of taxes, higher prices, and from our education, infrastructure and health care.....