PDA

View Full Version : Review on 2004 cavalier

fluid
10-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Anybody own this before, hows the realibility? Also anybody have any input on the value for one with about 100000km?

Thanks!

ercchry
10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
dont do it

bituerbo
10-28-2009, 08:25 PM
About $800.
Seriously.

Kloubek
10-28-2009, 08:30 PM
There was talk about reliable and unreliable cars on here a few weeks ago, and the j-bodies were mentioned.

They are alright. Lots of rotor warping problems (at least in earlier models), but other than they they are no less durable than many other economy cars out there. But don't expect good fit and finish, nor anything resembling actual quality.

Just don't pay a lot for it - resale stinks. $800 is a little low, but a 2004 with that kind of k should be available at around 3500.

Jason Lange
10-28-2009, 08:31 PM
If you can get it for free take it and sell hopefully someone will give you a couple hundred bucks for scrap metal.

bituerbo
10-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
There was talk about reliable and unreliable cars on here a few weeks ago, and the j-bodies were mentioned.

They are alright. Lots of rotor warping problems (at least in earlier models), but other than they they are no less durable than many other economy cars out there. But don't expect good fit and finish, nor anything resembling actual quality.

Just don't pay a lot for it - resale stinks. $800 is a little low, but a 2004 with that kind of k should be available at around 3500.

$3500 is a rip off dude.
People might be *asking* that on car lots, but nobody smart is going to pay that.

fluid
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
seriously what would be a good price?

Im a student and i dont have enough $$ to buy anything that wont be scrap metal in some people views...

these seem to be the cheapest cars i can get, given the year; so it seemed like a decent deal. Alot of people seem to be asking aroun 3700+ depending on condition

msommers
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Post an honest budget and we'll help you find something better. Don't be shy, I can't even afford a car!

corsvette
10-28-2009, 08:41 PM
They are quite reliable,cheap to fix and maintain.True they are not worth a whole lotor very exciting,but good basic transportation that should go for a long time given the low kms of the car you are looking at.

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Fluid how much is the car? My brother in law has a 2004 Sunfire with 65000kms on it, original owner from Vancouver. It's now registered here in Alberta and I bet he would take $3500 for it if you are interested in it.

Gibson
10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Or you could buy my Metro...

Like a Cavalier but...uh...cooler, in so many unmentionable ways...

But no, seriously, my car would be an effing fantastic student car.

/end shameless plug.

jwslam
10-28-2009, 10:15 PM
i think 3g for that would be reasonable

but for 3g i'd get a 5/6gen civic

Aleks
10-29-2009, 07:10 AM
2500-3000 seems reasonable for that car. See if you can get an inspection first and run the VIN to check for accidents and writeoffs. If that checks out go for it. I would rather buy a Cavalier with 100k than a Civic with 250k for the same money.

They are just fine for basic transportation. I had a 1991 Cavalier in hi school and part way thru university and it was just fine for my needs. Only thing to go wrong was the alternator once while I had it.

tentacles
10-29-2009, 07:38 AM
If it's a 2004 and it has the 2.2l Ecotech engine then it means it has the revised timing chain tensioner. It should be pretty reliable and the parts are cheap. I think 2004 they still sold the version with the 2.2l pushrod engine which should be pretty reliable as well.

I would take it over a Civic, problem with J-bodies is that they are literally the most unsafe car on the road in North America, we are talking 0 or 1 star NHSTA side impact ratings and "Poor" ratings on every single IIHS test. If you get hit from the side in a Cavalier you are going to DIE. Spending a little bit more money on a safer car like a larger GM/Chrysler sedan, or a Ford Focus, is worth the peace of mind for me.

If you're already a heroin addict or something and have nothing to live for, then buy the Cavalier and save a few bucks.

fluid
10-29-2009, 08:37 PM
its too funny how people hate cavaliers haha, again my price range makes me have to save a few bucks.

Im also looking at a sunfire now...

I know dont rub it in, these are all cars that i used to say "id never drive" but things change! haha

5000Audi
10-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
If it's a 2004 and it has the 2.2l Ecotech engine then it means it has the revised timing chain tensioner. It should be pretty reliable and the parts are cheap.

I beg to differ, take it to a shop and its min 6 hours diagnostics ( from when i worked at Kal Tire)

I think 2004 they still sold the version with the 2.2l pushrod engine which should be pretty reliable as well.

Ecotec came in in late 02 and standard on 03 Cavalier/Sunfire/Gran Prix

If you get hit from the side in a Cavalier you are going to DIE.

I had a 03 Cavalier, Got T boned by a girl running a stop sign. Hit at around 30-40 kms an hour on my drivers door. I walked away with only a egg on my head from hitting it on the roof/door.

here are pros/cons when i had mine
(sold at 70kms)

Cons=
-Blown head gasket@ 40kms
-Fuel filter @ 20kms
-VERY HARD time starting when its under -25 and would puff black/grey smoke, it has to be plugged in.
-had ABS problems( RR would lock up)

Pros-
Great mpg's
easy to do oil changes on as oil filter access on top of engine
comfortable
pretty peppy for 140HP

All around it was a decent car, would i buy one again? probably not.. but if the price is right.. possibly

SR240SX
10-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by fluid
its too funny how people hate cavaliers haha, again my price range makes me have to save a few bucks.

I know dont rub it in, these are all cars that i used to say "id never drive" but things change! haha

Well you asked for review and just about everyone told you to stay away from them and to look at something else, But you dont seem to be understanding that...and it dosent seem like opinions are going to help if your set on a cavi or sunflower lol

Graham_A_M
10-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by fluid

I really like GM, I've owned tons since my mid teens, which includes an S10 with 850k kms on it, but I'd agree that the Cavaliers are shit... seriously. There is a reason people hate them... its not uncalled for.

GM *REALLY* dropped the ball with them. Mid range reliability at best, lack luster performance and trim... just.... :thumbsdow
$2500-$3000 is all I'd offer. I think the Cavalier is one of the most iconic vehicles that made people take sole interest in european & japanese brands in general.

For a student car, why not? but I'd leave my reservations at the door with them.
For my winter car, I have a '99 Saturn SL2. If I were you, I'd take a look at a '97 or newer SL2, as their very decent cars for the price. I have 300k on mine (been in my family since new) and it still has yet to break down or give me a stitch of trouble. That Twin cam I4 is just a bullet proof engine. I beat the piss out of that car and it just takes it and takes it. Performance, features & egronomics are very good for what they are.
Not quite as gay as a cavalier either. :dunno:
and at less cost.

Diocletian
10-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
If it's a 2004 and it has the 2.2l Ecotech engine then it means it has the revised timing chain tensioner. It should be pretty reliable and the parts are cheap. I think 2004 they still sold the version with the 2.2l pushrod engine which should be pretty reliable as well.

I would take it over a Civic, problem with J-bodies is that they are literally the most unsafe car on the road in North America, we are talking 0 or 1 star NHSTA side impact ratings and "Poor" ratings on every single IIHS test. If you get hit from the side in a Cavalier you are going to DIE. Spending a little bit more money on a safer car like a larger GM/Chrysler sedan, or a Ford Focus, is worth the peace of mind for me.

If you're already a heroin addict or something and have nothing to live for, then buy the Cavalier and save a few bucks.

The 2.2 has chronic head gasket failures

fluid
10-29-2009, 10:32 PM
thanks for the replys everybody, imma continue my car search with some of these comments in mind.

tentacles
10-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

The 2.2 has chronic head gasket failures

Didn't they fix that? I thought it was just the late '90s ones that had the bad HGs.

Shlade
10-31-2009, 12:40 AM
I for one owned a 1999 Z24 and loved the car!

NEVER had a problem with it, 186,000kms when i sold her, I ended up selling it to a buddy who beat the holy shit out of it for almost 3 months..... poor car got beat up so bad the timing belt snapped and bent all the valves :cry:

i personally wouldnt get one unless its the Z24 model....

im thinking of even purchasing it back from him since its just sitting in his back yard right now and tossing in a Built z24 motor from jbodyperformance in it!

we shall see!

Unknown303
10-31-2009, 07:32 AM
I had an older 96 cavalier and other than it burning oil like it was a drug I never had any other issues with it and it was pretty damn reliable.

Sure I damn near bought it off the original owner for a sandwich it was so cheap but for what I was looking for at the time it was exactly what I needed.

jonfoo
10-31-2009, 10:27 AM
gm's are definately hit or miss, my brother had a cavalier for years and never had a problem with it, my friend on the other hand had his in the shop every couple of months, by the end half of the electrical didn't work and his sunroof wouldn't close.

i think your bet with the sunfire is pretty good, all the GIRLs i know that own them have never had a problem, and since they're girls assume the worst ie. no winter warming, minimal oil changes etc.

hideous cars either way tho

403Gemini
10-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I really like GM, I've owned tons since my mid teens, which includes an S10 with 850k kms on it, but I'd agree that the Cavaliers are shit... seriously. There is a reason people hate them... its not uncalled for.

GM *REALLY* dropped the ball with them. Mid range reliability at best, lack luster performance and trim... just.... :thumbsdow
$2500-$3000 is all I'd offer. I think the Cavalier is one of the most iconic vehicles that made people take sole interest in european & japanese brands in general.

For a student car, why not? but I'd leave my reservations at the door with them.
For my winter car, I have a '99 Saturn SL2. If I were you, I'd take a look at a '97 or newer SL2, as their very decent cars for the price. I have 300k on mine (been in my family since new) and it still has yet to break down or give me a stitch of trouble. That Twin cam I4 is just a bullet proof engine. I beat the piss out of that car and it just takes it and takes it. Performance, features & egronomics are very good for what they are.
Not quite as gay as a cavalier either. :dunno:
and at less cost.

Yeah those DOHC engines were tanks. I beat the snot outta my saturn and gave it to my parents when I got the cobalt, they have about 220,XXX kms on it, original clutch and drive it between BC and Alberta almost every 2 weeks.