PDA

View Full Version : Is FedEx doing the same UPS brokage rip off too?

TomcoPDR
10-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Bought stuff from the US (from 2 companies) within this month, both shipped with FedEx.

Both times, 1-2 weeks later I get a "brokage clearance" invoice, no lube provided.

Is this a common practice now? (I didn't remember Fedex doing that shit)

suen17
10-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Short answer, yes.

That said, so far I've been lucky to mostly have ordered from some companies that cover the brokerage charge, but not duties. Otherwise it's more like DP with no lube.

USPS ftw.

googe
10-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, they have always done that. I usually threw it out, but then Fedex sends the bill to the shipper. UPS won't give up the goods until you pay, so that doesn't work :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
10-29-2009, 12:38 AM
USPS or nothing.

Cooked Rice
10-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Yes FedEx does do that, but it's not nearly as bad as UPS. IIRC, FedEx charges a flat $10 fee + GST on the item. UPS is a lot worst, their fee is $20 and goes up according to the item value, plus they add a collection charge, a "we paid for your fees upfront for you" charge, plus your GST on the item.

adidas
10-29-2009, 01:58 AM
I never knew but DHL is part of UPS!

They charged me an extra 30 bux ontop of the 22ish that i already paid for shipping!

USPS is still the shit!

FiveFreshFish
10-29-2009, 02:31 AM
UPS Ground and FedEx Ground have both charge the brokerage fee.

The premium overnight services of either company include the brokerage fee in the shipping rate.

Cooked Rice
10-29-2009, 03:37 AM
USPS/Postal is good if you don't mind waiting for your stuff and poor tracking. International overnight services via Canadapost/USPS is provided for by FedEx. But there is a max of $100 value for that service, so you never get charged customs etc.

Mitsu3000gt
10-29-2009, 10:08 AM
I ship quite a bit of stuff and I absolutely love UPS air services, particularily Worldwide Express Saver and Worldwide Expediated. Both fully include all brokerage fees & duties, good tracking info, and you just get a COD bill for GST. Often the price differential is the same or less than if you had paid for ground shipping + all extra charges. Also, a lot of companies have deals with UPS (i.e. Monoprice, B&H Photo, etc.) where their overnight services are massively discounted compared to what it would cost you to walk into a UPS store and ship something for.

I absolutely hate USPS. I've never had a package arrive in less than 3 full weeks because it spends so much time at the boarder, regardless of what method is used. Also, their tracking systems are 100% useless. I avoid them whenever possible.

Its almost always worth the extra money for the premium air shipping services IMO.

HondaKid
10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
If you really want to enter a world of pain, try picking up your UPS package at the depot in the NW. Like entering a bread line up in 1979 Poland.

I will not use a company which ships with UPS, troubling to read of FEDEX now playing games, nice depot at FEDEX near the airport, very good service.

Supa Dexta
10-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah the fuckers sent me to collections for 15$... I sent them a cheque after months of notices (the amount never went up from the original fedex amount) and told them to leave me alone.

Crymson
10-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Agreed. I haven't used anyting but USPS in YEARS.

The best is that the USPS stuff usually goes to the nearest drug store when i'm not home, which is always hopen utnil 9. usualyl with a courier package, if they can't deliver it, i have to ditch work early and go to some ridulous shipping centre far ass away from home.

I've never had any delays with USPS, never had antyhing tied up at the border. usually 5 days max from buying to recieving.

revelations
10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
UPS Ground and FedEx Ground have both charge the brokerage fee.

The premium overnight services of either company include the brokerage fee in the shipping rate.

:werd:

In many cases, its CHEAPER to go overnight/express/expedited because of the tacked on fees to ground shipping. :dunno:

scat19
10-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Rapage all around

bubbley
10-29-2009, 01:12 PM
nevermind