PDA

View Full Version : New Grads

believe
10-29-2009, 08:32 AM
who's graduating this year? anyone else having a heck of a time trying to get a job for next september?

Marsh
10-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, competition is fierce out there man, fewer spots and way more people applying. Just have to keep applying and make sure you stay on top of your game,,,at this point any slip up will cost you, too many good people out there. Its hard trying to land a gig though

7thgenvic
10-29-2009, 06:33 PM
GOOOD LUCK KIDS :) It's still terrible times for being a new grad. You will be up against those who have been laid off with experience, and other grads who have summer experience in their field.

Hakkola
10-29-2009, 06:42 PM
I graduated this August. Sent out probably a hundred resumes, the only calls I've received are from banks like ATB Financial and Scotiabank for pretty much entry-level positions.

Hopefully things will look better for you guys next year.

Nusc
10-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Hakkola, have you started working for those banks? If I recall correctly you did your degree in communication & culture? When did you say you were going to law school?

l/l/rX
10-29-2009, 11:13 PM
move to another country where english is a big plus to have :D

HK here i come!!!

TomcoPDR
10-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
move to another country where english is a big plus to have :D

HK here i come!!!

I would had thought Mardrian would be more of an asset.

l/l/rX
10-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I would had thought Mardrian would be more of an asset.

I am learning mandarin right now too :) Its not really an asset if you work in HK though, in HK fluent english is a big asset. Mandarin is really only good in the mainland.

cjab
10-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Where has everyone been looking for new grad posistions? I've mainly just been sifting through the posts on the Ucalgary and Haskayne job sites. So far no luck, was hoping to lock something in before convocation rolls around in june.

believe
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I graduated this August. Sent out probably a hundred resumes, the only calls I've received are from banks like ATB Financial and Scotiabank for pretty much entry-level positions.

Hopefully things will look better for you guys next year.

wow thats harsh. if you dont mind me asking, what are you doing in the mean time?

and all this time i thought sticking through engg would land me a steady gig :cry:

GQBalla
10-30-2009, 03:24 PM
maybe i should move to HK

jwslam
10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
beyond migration to HK
i'm set... i can read probably like gr5 chinese there lol
and my canto is fluent as ever

Hakkola
10-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by believe

wow thats harsh. if you dont mind me asking, what are you doing in the mean time?

Not really, fair question. Home reno's and job searching. The 100 resume's is hyperbole though.

Originally posted by Nusc
Hakkola, have you started working for those banks? If I recall correctly you did your degree in communication & culture? When did you say you were going to law school?

No, I probably could have got the job at the ATB Financial call center but I have an LSAT prep course that conflicted with the training. I have a phone interview with another bank for a "Customer Service Officer" position on Tuesday.

I'm hoping to be in law school next fall, we'll see what happens.

l/l/rX
10-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

beyond migration to HK
i'm set... i can read probably like gr5 chinese there lol
and my canto is fluent as ever

I'll be there next sept/ oct. I cant speak any cantonese nor read it, but I can understand it. haha.
After 22 years of life I'm finanlly learning a 2nd language, a language I should of known years ago. (different dialect though)

max_boost
10-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

If you think people are materialistic here.....try HK! haha

My best friend moved there to further his modeling career last year and he's doing great. If you are good looking, that's 90% of the battle. LOL

spolumbomalumbo
10-31-2009, 04:24 PM
it's brutal out there. quite comical are the new grads who act arrogant and are ultra selective in their job search :rofl: mom and dads safety net will catch them though.

Xtrema
10-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

I am learning mandarin right now too :) Its not really an asset if you work in HK though, in HK fluent english is a big asset. Mandarin is really only good in the mainland.

Wrong

China's plan was to eventually reduce importance of HK. China do what China do best, ton's of mainland Chinese are now embedded in HK. Since the puppet HK government allow migration as long as you buy a home, tons of mainland Chinese are buying their way into HK.

My aunt in HK was asking someone in Cantonese and that bitch told her to speak Mandarin.

Eventually, everyone will speak Mandarin. Cantonese will be treated worse than French in Canada.

DRKM
10-31-2009, 05:31 PM
My wife just finished her Accounting degree in December! She has put out 45+ resumes plus posting her resume online and has gotten nothing.

The job market kinda sucks right now.

l/l/rX
10-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Wrong

China's plan was to eventually reduce importance of HK. China do what China do best, ton's of mainland Chinese are now embedded in HK. Since the puppet HK government allow migration as long as you buy a home, tons of mainland Chinese are buying their way into HK.

My aunt in HK was asking someone in Cantonese and that bitch told her to speak Mandarin.

Eventually, everyone will speak Mandarin. Cantonese will be treated worse than French in Canada.

really? i got a couple friends working there and they say everyone uses either cantonese or english. Got a friend working at Merryl Lynch, other one is a property assesment person, other works at hsbc, one does engineering of some sort, buuut yaa. I guess I'll find out when I get there. Either way I'll know a little mandarin, more mandarin than i know cantonese. haha. Fail.

austic
10-31-2009, 07:18 PM
i just graduated in june, I was lucky and managed to get on with the company i spent the previous summer with. Good luck to the new grads as the market sucks right now... Best advice is to land the summer position, work your butt off and get the job that way. but now its even hard to get the summer position.