PDA

View Full Version : Weight difference in Gold's Gym Eau Claire and Northland

GQBalla
10-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Just wondering if anyones ever noticed the weight difference in the plates between the gyms?

from what i have noticed the 45 pound plate at eau claire is probably off by 10 pounds from an actual 45 pound plate

bubbley
10-29-2009, 11:06 AM
interesting...that could be a cool little marketing/psychological trick

GQBalla
10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by bubbley
interesting...that could be a cool little marketing/psychological trick

definitely.

i went to northland the other day and i put on what i normally do at eau claire and at northland i could barely eve do 8 reps.
ahhah

TimH
10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Put a weight on a scale at the gym to verify this. Maybe the bar you used was the difference in weight?

B69
10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about, I can always lift more at eauclaire. I believe its more of a mental thing, plus its a new gym so maybe you haven't adjusted to it yet?

5hift
10-29-2009, 01:02 PM
are you guys sure that its the same type of bar being used

Oz-
10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
If you actually take most "non-calibrated" weights on an industrial scale, they will very rarely be on the money. Some even a couple lbs difference (+/-).

Almost no gyms have calibrated plates as they are super expensive (http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=165) 4-5x per pound price then a typical gym weight.

Another reason could be that you keep staring at the lunch hour cougars doing Yoga at Eau Claire...that could be making you pump serious iron.

GQBalla
10-29-2009, 01:34 PM
ahah don't think its the cougs at all.

might be all mental but i seriously believe its lighter.

cityhunter2501
10-29-2009, 02:10 PM
its weird but same thing for me working out in WHC Downtown and WHC Sunridge, for some reason weights feel heavier in Sunridge.

buh_buh
10-29-2009, 04:38 PM
I notice I'm way "stronger" at the university. Probably because the weights are made of rubber and are about 36 years old. The actual weight isn't an issue anyway, I think of them more of a benchmark unless you're going to different gyms all the time.

liquidboi69
10-29-2009, 05:16 PM
The weights at university are rubber? Are you talking about the freeweights or machine weights? Because I don't remember any rubber free weights.

We recently got like 4 baalin Invako bars as well. I wouldn't say anything's really outdated.

EDIT: Oh ya I just remembered the DB's are polyurethane/rubber. Those are baller and cost more than metal ones.

Not sure if they're lighter, the weight just might be dispersed better than metal ones.