PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy the same car as your friend?

max_boost
10-29-2009, 03:34 PM
OK this is not targeting anyone but I'm just curious as it's a boring day at work but like the title says, would you buy the same car as your friend? or how would you feel if your friend bought the same car as yours?

It's also possible that you've discussed buying a certain car for awhile and you both just so happen to like it.

I must emphasize the 'friend' part. If you don't know the guy then :whocares: but if you are buddies and hang out, would you think, 'that guy is copying me'. haha

I must also emphasize, the exact same car, same year, same model, same options, same color etc.

Now if you were to buy the same car, would you go out of your way to get different options so it's NOT EXACTLY the same? Or maybe wait for the 2010 instead? Or would you sacrifice picking a different color so your friend won't get mad?

Now that's just for the car, what if they copied some of your mods? If it's performance you can't tell, what if they got the same wheels as you? or same aero-kit? haha

Yeah I'm bored.
:rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
10-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Do what makes you happy :)

Kloubek
10-29-2009, 03:37 PM
:whocares:

Buy whatever the hell you want. Who cars what others have.

It isn't like you are buying matching track suits and prancing down the parkway is it?

bubbley
10-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Man this would be a crappy situation..i dont think i would though..id then have to outdo this mofo in spite

misterrick
10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
a buddy of mine bought an identical blue jdm civic. mines boosted and his isnt, so im quite content :poosie:

Tarrantula
10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I would have no problem owning the same car as one of my friends. Unfortunately for them.. I make more than 99% of them.. so they would have a hard time keeping up anyways ha ha. Especially if I decided to mod said vehicle.

or you can think of it as flattery if someone likes your car that much to buy the same one. :dunno:

max_boost
10-29-2009, 03:42 PM
HAHA I'm just bored. This can apply to a lot of things, what if you just bought that new jacket and you are all styling and then buddy goes and buys the exact same one! haha

Or you are both building a house and he specs his out just like yours because you are more creative and he likes what you have.

:zzz:

Tarrantula
10-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
HAHA I'm just bored. This can apply to a lot of things, what if you just bought that new jacket and you are all styling and then buddy goes and buys the exact same one! haha

Or you are both building a house and he specs his out just like yours because you are more creative and he likes what you have.

Then hes an asshole :rofl:

D'z Nutz
10-29-2009, 03:47 PM
First and foremost, I'd buy any car that I'd consider a good value, practical for my needs, and within my financial means.

Now with that said, if I happened to like a car with the same options, colour, model, etc... that another friend also had, it would not stop me from buying it since it's a car for me, not everyone else. Likewise if it were the same situation reversed, I could care less. I rarely drive anyways!

1-Bar
10-29-2009, 03:51 PM
been there (kinda), at one point there were 3 ppl with E36s in our circle...

Cars are okay, clothes are a no-no

SR240SX
10-29-2009, 03:59 PM

Now that's just for the car, what if they copied some of your mods? If it's performance you can't tell, what if they got the same wheels as you? or same aero-kit? haha

Yeah I'm bored.

I had a guy PM me a couple years ago asking why I copied his car and why I would copy his mods etc...He was pretty choked lol.

I didnt even know this guy....never seen his car in my life, But one day I saw him on deerfoot as I was leaving the city and it was pretty weird lol we drove past eachother going oposite ways but both had the most confused look on our faces haha...

Like I mean the cars were identical, Same wheels, Same CF hood, Same car...Same colour...

Anyways after that year I decided to switch it up and now I dont think I've seen any car that looks identical to mine.

beyond_ban
10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't. UNLESS i wanted a certain car, then my friend went out and bought it before i found the right one. There is just to much variety to copy a friend, no matter how perfect the ride is. You got a STI? I will get an EVO.

Hakkola
10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
I would buy a different colour. If my buddy bought the same rims and other exterior mods I'd be pissed. One or two of the same or similar mods, fine, but the exact same shit? No way.

ICEBERG
10-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Doesn't matter, long as they are different color your good to GO.:thumbsup:

ragu
10-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Doesn't matter at all if my buddy copied the car, rims, mods or w.e. but when he starts copying my clothes; then we have a problem.

rawsensation
10-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Do what makes you happy :)

Have to agree with redlyne, do what makes you happy then you won't regret it as much later.

c63 by any chance?;)

Pollywog
10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Funny that this topic was brought up. After a few months of owning my 2003 C230 coupe, in Orion Blue, my best-friend at the time started mentioning he was looking at buying his first car.

I come back from a vacation in mexico, and he calls me up and says he found a car while I was gone. He had bought a 2002 C230 coupe, in Orion Blue. Everyone thought I was going to have a fit over it, I actually found it kind of interesting. It gave me someone to compare car issues with, I knew instantly how to adopt my gangster lean in the passenger seat, pick up girls and walk them to one of the two shiny blue c230's parked next to each other, etc. The only difference between the two is he has the supercharged 2.3L, I have the 1.8L supercharged.

I got better things to worry about then if my buddy has the same car. If anything, it provides more stuff to talk about and can be very beneficial to a friendship, rather than detrimental.

Edit: I actually remember taking it as somewhat of a compliment that my buddy wanted the exact same car I had.

Kavy
10-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Edit: I actually remember taking it as somewhat of a compliment that my buddy wanted the exact same car I had.

QFT

I had 6 friends all own subbies, 3 where the same colors and looked identical.

Personally i also would take it as a compliment that i picked a great car, share the wealth you greedy bastards!

funkedelic2
10-29-2009, 04:57 PM
I would buy the same car, but maybe not the same color and options. If it were absoutely perfect then i would regardless of what my friend had. Sooner or later if you both mod it, they will end up looking different. Your friend will either take it as a compliment or think you wanna be just like him. Either way you guys can cruise together and have something to talk about all the time.

86max
10-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I wouldn't be choked unless they did it more than once. Then I'd start to wonder what their real intentions were.

98type_r
10-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I've had similar cars, but in different colors to friends at 2 times in my life.
There are so many colors and model combinations available, you're bound to run into twins at one point.

max_boost
10-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

QFT

I had 6 friends all own subbies, 3 where the same colors and looked identical.

Personally i also would take it as a compliment that i picked a great car, share the wealth you greedy bastards!

Then you upgrade to a 135i with M-Sport package, 19"wheels in Alpine white and so excited about the new car 300hp twin turbo etc. And your buddy goes out and buys the exact same car a short time later, that's cool right? haha

Just saying.....:D

Is it one of those things, where the more expensive the car, the more you should hold back? Or no? You buy an expensive car to be a bit more different than others? No? 135i might be bad example, how about a LFA? You buy a white one and your buddy buys a white one too. OK?

:devil:

Jlude
10-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Never really thought about it... but I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Exact color might be pushing it a little far, but not the same make/model.

mowglee
10-29-2009, 06:01 PM
two of my friends both got the exact same cars, just in different colors. The one didn't think much of it, just joked around and said "he wants to be like me." The other guy suggested they start doing "photoshoots" and gangster poses beside each others cars. He wasn't joking haha. At that moment I said I'd try my hardest not to own the same car as a close friend of mine, and if I did to not be a douche about it.

A790
10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't see the big deal.

Jlude
10-29-2009, 07:37 PM
let me answer again..

Would I buy the same car as my friend. No.

Would I care if he bought the same car as me. No.

dino_martini
10-29-2009, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't buy the same color or trim level of car as my friend.

Example: My friend has a newer Subaru Impreza 2.5i hatch back in Red. And I like the Impreza as well. But if I were to buy one, I would buy a WRX 265 World Rally Blue sedan

Graham_A_M
10-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't care too much, but I'd probably pick a different color/trim package. Getting an identical car is almost pointless unless the two of you love the exact same things... which is the start of something hella gay in my books at least.

schocker
10-29-2009, 09:29 PM
I dont think I would on purpose, but if one I ended up settling on one that was the same it would be no big deal.

Neil4Speed
10-30-2009, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't really mind, I can't really see it happening though, I typically buy 'different' kinds of cars. Actually in a way I would be flattered.

I had a buddy who bought a new IS when it first came out with some money he had inherited. It was a pretty big deal at the time because he was just out of high school. A couple of months later one of his buddies bought the same car and he was definitely very upset.

Go figure.

topmade
10-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Not a big deal. You are friends for a reason and one of them is probably because you have things in common, like tastes in cars, especially if you are both car enthusiasts.

scat19
10-30-2009, 07:50 AM
How many times are you seen together out of the week and how many times are you driving side by side?

Same mods? No.

jwslam
10-30-2009, 07:54 AM

haha that sounds like my buddy
my buddy has this one friend that i swear idolizes him or something
brand new laptop he bought, the guy copied him even though he just bought a new laptop like a month ago
built his own comp, the guy copied him, every part
installs a UI to look like 7, copied
i find it quite funny lol

BananaFob
10-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Both my friend and I bought our Mazdaspeed3s at the same time last year as part of a package deal at the dealership. We both wanted white, we both wanted the same tint. We werent trying to copy each other, just turned out that we had the same taste in cars. Our license plates are two digits off too haha.

hampstor
10-30-2009, 08:29 AM
If i'm spending on the money on a car I want, i'm buying the car I want regardless of whatever my friends have.

Here I was thinking that only women cared if a friend had the same dress..

ExtraSlow
10-30-2009, 08:38 AM
I'd buy the same car, but them put some kind of distinctive cosmetic mod in it. Like if it was a Subie, I'd buy the biggest RallyArmour mudflaps I could find.
http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/buy-car-accessories/images/BigImage/RallyFlapz/RFFABVRS.jpg
Or maybe some substantially wider tires.
Hell, if I had to I'd put one of those Jack-in-the-box antenna toppers.
I'd want to be able to tell them apart at a distance. Pretty embarrasing if you walk up to the wrong car.

that being said, if i was having a hard time choosing between two cars, I'd pick the one my buddy didn't have.

Xtrema
10-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah I'm bored.

Go to MBWorld where I swear at least 70% of C63s are black.

I don't see a problem at all. Afterall, if you really want to stand out, there is always aftermarket.

89s1
10-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Jeez Max, I didn't think it would bother you so much that Rage bought a Merc.

j/k j/k :zzz:

I think its perfectly alright. maybe a little odd if its the exact same right down to colours and options. but if its pimpin, then I guess it's just good taste :thumbsup:

Orbie
10-30-2009, 10:01 AM
*cough*C63*cough*

Would really depend on what the car was I think, if you bought a Civic and your friend bought the same one, I don't think you could be upset because driving down the street you'll see another 20 just like yours anyways. The more exclusive a car is the more it would probably irk me. With the entry level luxury cars like the BMW 3-series, MB C-series etc. there are already so many and there will only continue to be more, so I don't think I would get upset there either. On the other hand if this was the LFA, there's only 500 of those, so if my friend bought the exact same car that would suck. Although I probably wouldn't make a big deal about it in the end.

Tomaz
10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't worry about the same car. Most of the time I add little details that make mine unique from the others.

It sucks that my car is so popular with Uni students. I find it hard to spot my car in the lot at school. I guess that means I should do more to personalize!

ICEBERG
10-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I thought about buying a C63 AMG in Black. Still might. :D

CSMRX7
10-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Only if it was a C63 in matte black ;)

max_boost
10-30-2009, 11:11 AM
A few months ago my buddy told me he was buying the same car (SLK55) which is not a big deal and then he told me he was probably going to buy a white one haha so I told him, can't you pick a different color? So he bought a red one.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/8/a/a/167720/slk2-0.jpg?rev=0

Pollywog
10-30-2009, 11:13 AM
A few months ago my buddy told me he was buying the same car (SLK55) which is not a big deal and then he told me he was probably going to buy a white one haha so I told him, can't you pick a different color? So he bought a red one.

The white is gorgeous, but I am surprised at how good the red looks on that car too!

bubbley
10-30-2009, 11:22 AM

What a sick picture

Xtrema
10-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
I thought about buying a C63 AMG in Black. Still might. :D

I think we have enough people to start a group buy. :rofl:

max_boost
10-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Berserkercatsplat took that picture. :thumbsup:

So really my stance is this, same car, no big deal but it would be nice if they picked a different color! Even if they didn't, it's still OK but they can only do it one time. If the next car I buy and they go out and get the same car and same color, then I don't know man. LOL :rofl:

max_boost
10-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I think we have enough people to start a group buy. :rofl:

Time to keep a tally of the C63 color count.

Black -2

I want dibs on white because all my cars are white. Although I hope rage2 doesn't mind, I like what he did with the smoked tails and orange sides:devil: :rofl:

Jlude
10-30-2009, 12:24 PM
I should pick up a SKL55... I was thinking about it a year ago.

maybe a white one...

hmm....

Xtrema
10-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Black -2

I want dibs on white because all my cars are white. Although I hope rage2 doesn't mind, I like what he did with the smoked tails and orange sides:devil: :rofl:

Black -2
White -1
P. Silver -1

max_boost
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
I should pick up a SKL55... I was thinking about it a year ago.

maybe a white one...

hmm....

I'll just sell you mine! :D

JZS_147
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM
I have a couple of friends with Aristo's that looked at mine and wanted to do the same mods, that did the same mods. Not a big deal IMO. It's pretty cool when we go on cruises and everything to have cars match in some sort of way. 3 of my friends with Aristo's have put a VPRO in their car after going for a ride in mine, just because of the amount of power it put down in stock form. I don't think anyone will be copying my new setup haha.

BUT copying my wheels, aero, etc. That's just retarded. I don't think any of my friends would go that far.

You're supposed to customize your car to your own tastes, not copy your buddies because it looks cool.

Jlude
10-30-2009, 02:05 PM

I'll just sell you mine! :D

hahaha... that would defeat the purpose of me having one! :guns:

g-m
10-31-2009, 02:44 PM
who cares

I'd definitely buy the same car and then congratulate my friend on his excellent taste in automobiles

boarderfatty
10-31-2009, 06:16 PM
I had one friend buy a New RSX premium in black on black leather for his first real vehicle, then a few weeks later another friend bought a new RSX type S in black on black ad his first real car... needless to say first friend wasn't reeeaall pleased

That.Guy.S30
10-31-2009, 06:26 PM

Black -2

I would also like to be like Rage2.. lol

spolumbomalumbo
10-31-2009, 06:28 PM
i would savegely murder them. serios

SilverRex
11-01-2009, 07:58 PM
if its rage2's C63 your thinking of, go right ahead, but I dont think I'll get black though

however if you are really going to pick one up, wont it be white again? why break the tradition now :)