PDA

View Full Version : Block heater install pricing on SR20DET

Chantastic
10-29-2009, 09:07 PM
hey guys, I need your opinions.

So this morning I dropped off my 240 with a SR20DET to a Nissan dealer, I'm not going to mention which one. I talked to them earlier on the phone and they said they have all the block heaters Nissan uses, so they'll test to see what will fit (it's different than the KA). When I went in, I was quoted by the guy at the desk at $360 labour + $40-50 on the block heater itself (haven't paid either yet). I signed the sheet with the estimate on it.

Later in the afternoon I get a call saying they don't have the correct block heater because it's an SR20, and I have to go pick up the car and possibly order a SR20 block heater from japan. A minute or two later they call again, and they found one that will work, but it will take longer. It would be $460 + the block heater itself (I assume still 40-50). I didn't think I had much of a choice so I said yes, and that I would pick up the car tomorrow at some point. So I go home today, and check old invoices from them when I first dropped the car off to have work done. I had a block heater installed on the old KA, and labour was only $240! Doing some math I've concluded they charge $120/hr, so they charged me for two hours on the old KA, yet when they quoted me this time before the service guy knew it was a SR20, he quoted me at $360. So that's one hour over what they charged me the first time they did it on the old KA. On top of that, since it's apparently more difficult for the SR, they added another hour making it $480.

So, if it is more difficult to install it on the SR, then fine, charge me another unit over the price of what they would have done if it were a KA. But last time when it actually WAS a KA, it was installed for 2 units of labour instead of 3. So now, they are charging ontop of that because it's an SR... but really shouldn't I be able to argue that the original quote when the service guy thought it was a KA was inaccurate, and the additional hour for the SR should only be slapped ontop of the old $240 job?

as a quick summary in case this was all to confusing:
I had a block heater installed on my 240 last year for $240. Back then I had a KA motor. Now I have a SR20DET. Need a new block heater. Dealership charges me $360 thinking it was a block heater on a normal KA. Why would the same job cost more less than a year later?
(later they found out it was an SR like I told them, and now want to charge me 480)

Thanks

se7en
10-29-2009, 09:13 PM
seriously dude...learn to work on your own car....most block heaters cost like 10-40$ and take like 20 minutes to install...worst case scenario just put the lower rad hose one that circulates warm coolant....easy as borscht to install.

I can hardly even imagine someone paying 460 + block heater to install a block heater.....tell them to eat your hat and do it your self...otherwise...for 250 I'll drive up there and do it for you :P

sr20s14zenki
10-29-2009, 09:13 PM
A block heater from a 1995 infiniti g20 should work.....it has an sr20de..........

Chantastic
10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I can't imagine it being as simple as a 20 minute job if it's costing anywhere near what it is. Mind you I have heard of multiple block hetaers being 20 minute jobs, but apparently some must have the block drilled? I assume this is what needs to be done?

Jim Rome99
10-29-2009, 09:45 PM
A block heater takes less than twenty minutes to install. They're ripping you off.

Chantastic
10-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Does anyone have real experience with a sr20det block heater? Does it take more than 20 minutes? If it doesn't, I am going to be raging balls.

sr20s14zenki
10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, you need to use a slidehammer to get the frost plug out. So, i think the intake manifold or exhaust manifold would have to be removed, i forget which side the frostplugs are on hahaha.

honestly dood, try a lower rad hose heater, or spend 110$ and get yourself a circulating block heater. It taps into your heater core hoses and constantly circulates and heats your coolant when its plugged in.

bmeier
10-29-2009, 11:08 PM
you are getting raped.

also why do you need a block heater? just use a synthetic oil and you should be fine. Most new cars Porsche, Bmw etc dont even have the option of installing block heaters...

se7en
10-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Well, you need to use a slidehammer to get the frost plug out. So, i think the intake manifold or exhaust manifold would have to be removed, i forget which side the frostplugs are on hahaha.

honestly dood, try a lower rad hose heater, or spend 110$ and get yourself a circulating block heater. It taps into your heater core hoses and constantly circulates and heats your coolant when its plugged in.

2nd..this dude also know what he is talking about.

Chantastic
10-29-2009, 11:09 PM
So basically, it's alot more work than just slipping something in taking twenty minutes. That's good to hear lol.

The problem is I've already signed that est. sheet that said $360. I wonder if they've started yet...if they haven't, maybe I'll just have them stop and just buy the block heater from them and take it elsewhere. If they're done already, then I'm going to at least try and knock down that one unit of bogus labour, the one extra hour 'needed' to install if it were on a KA, cause I am well aware they can do it in two, since they did before.

zieg
10-29-2009, 11:14 PM
I'd just go with the coolant heater honestly.

cocoabrova
10-29-2009, 11:17 PM
The circulating heater is an excellent suggestion, although I would add an oilpan heater as another one. IMHO heating up the oil, as opposed to heating the coolant, would reduce cold-start engine wear better.....

Chantastic
10-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I need the block heater or something like it because I don't garage the car, and I'd really rather not wreck my engine I just had swapped in with needless cold start engine wear. My old KA I forgot to plug in once and it took about twenty minutes to start it. I'd rather preserve what I have and not wear it down. Plus it's nice for those super cold days, where cars that don't necissarily need block heaters (my friends '03 1.8T) can't even start.

But now, I think I'm stuck with the block heater option, was not aware of this coolant heater thing.

se7en
10-30-2009, 10:03 AM
geez...it take like 20 mins to install ****ANY**** block heater...where did you get the idea that it was hard??

with 460+ you could put in a coolant circ heater, and oil pan heater, and a battery heater, and still have 250-300$ left....and your car would have instant heat and start everytime you hit the key in the coldest weather....geez. some people just don't read.

Chantastic
10-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Not correct. Manifolds had to be removed, oil even had to be drained. Crappy deal but that's the way it is. Was asking a friend of mine today, VW dealer wanted $1200 just for labour to install a block heater on his Rabbit.

se7en
10-30-2009, 02:52 PM
well, then don't install a OEM one. lower rad hose is in plain view...oil pan heater sticks on the oil pan, and battery warmer goes around battery....but hey, what do I know....

spend your money..see if I care.

Chantastic
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
whoa chill out dude, I just needed some opinions and I appreciate all those who supplied them. Seven, if I somehow offended you then I'm sorry you took it the wrong way, it was not inentional. Had I not already dropped off the car to get a block heater than I may have considered these other options.

Thanks to all.

SR240SX
10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by se7en
well, then don't install a OEM one. lower rad hose is in plain view...oil pan heater sticks on the oil pan, and battery warmer goes around battery....but hey, what do I know....

spend your money..see if I care.

He already has his car at the dealer, Its also his money not yours....If hes prepared to pay what it costs why should it bother you any?

se7en
10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
I doesn't Trust me.

I felt bad for him getting ripped off at the dealership....I am a mechanic by trade, but I will never work at a tech again...crooked crooked Mofo's.

Whateva though, I was trying [albeit in my sarcastic manner] to help.

ShermanEF9
10-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Chantastic
I can't imagine it being as simple as a 20 minute job if it's costing anywhere near what it is. Mind you I have heard of multiple block hetaers being 20 minute jobs, but apparently some must have the block drilled? I assume this is what needs to be done?

nooo it seriously is that easy. i used to do them all the time at honda... the only hard ones are the ridgeline.

se7en
10-30-2009, 10:20 PM

jonfoo
10-31-2009, 01:11 PM
u know a block heater is just like a plug right? its like paying $400 to have a garden hose connected,

also calling u back to change the quoted price because a part doesn't fit is trademark scam, u have the right to say "do it for the price quoted or don't do it at all" at that point

se7en
10-31-2009, 03:09 PM
this dude doesn't want our advice...let him think he got a good deal jonfoo.....

Cooked Rice
10-31-2009, 03:32 PM
i'm almost sure it's easier on a SR than KA cause it's basically bolt on. cause the place the block heater goes is just a large threaded plug, hex bit to remove, then just screwing the block heater in. on KA it requires removal of a freeze plug iirc. They have to drain and fill your coolant obviously, but that costs not even over $100 at most places, and is easy as an oil change to do yourself. Well actually a block heater install is just about as hard as a oil change. $500 is rape for that job, you can get a clutch job done at most shops(not including stealerships) for less than that.

garyb
10-31-2009, 04:03 PM
upwards of $450.....brutal! Last time i installed one i bought it for 19.99 at CT and it took me 4 mins to install....

Gibson
10-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Anyone know what the typical cost of installing one for an RB20 is?

sr20s14zenki
10-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Honestly, just go with a lower radhose one, they work almost as good. I dont even plug my cars in until more than -20. just make sure you have a good battery

n1zm0
10-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Imo a block heater for coolant is not as efficient as an oil pan heater, getting your 'water' warm is important of course but not as important as the oil ithink, hard cold starts with cold oil strain the engine to get going, if it were warm oil your starter/battery would be working less to turn that flywheel.

But as said above if youre intention is just getting a reliable start every morning a good healthy battery will always do it.

pinoyboy88
11-01-2009, 07:51 PM
for the money u paid..shuda jst bought a winter beater:thumbsup:

KoukiS14
11-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Imo a block heater for coolant is not as efficient as an oil pan heater, getting your 'water' warm is important of course but not as important as the oil ithink, hard cold starts with cold oil strain the engine to get going, if it were warm oil your starter/battery would be working less to turn that flywheel.

But as said above if youre intention is just getting a reliable start every morning a good healthy battery will always do it.

Agreed.

Get one of these.

http://www.wolverineheater.com/

Can get them locally at Greggs. http://www.greggdistributors.ca/calgary.htm

Chantastic
11-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by se7en
this dude doesn't want our advice...let him think he got a good deal jonfoo.....

Dude, CALM DOWN

Chantastic
11-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
Anyone know what the typical cost of installing one for an RB20 is?

Probably not very cheap, seeing how a KA24 would cost ya 240-360 through a dealer :(. What about other Nissan motors? Are most of them rape jobs? As I mentioned before, a friend with an '08 Rabbit was going to get one installed through a dealer until he saw the $1200 labour job LOL. For the record, I am never going to a dealer again to install anything. Even if it really did take 4 hours, I still could have saved 120 or so bucks had I found a regular shop that charges 90/hr.

And that wolverine heater is interesting...it simply 'peels and sticks'?

edit: I had a brand new battery in my old KA, could hardly start on extra cold days :(

se7en
11-03-2009, 07:19 PM
yup, dealership is a scam....[read: eastside dodge]