PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Guys, question for you!

thetransporter
10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I have a Carrier 58pav I put in by fagnans furnace back in 2003 i think.

Anyway, its clean, no dust built up, filters in, new thermostats, (on auto) and replaced the fan limit switch (connects to exhausts)

My question. the blower runs continuously after the gas turns out, about 3 minutes, bring in more cold in car. Should run for about 20 seconds right?

I read various posts, some say its one of my relays are stuck. i tapped a few of them (they are all soldiered into the PC board.

Is there anything else I can do? the furnace returns no trouble codes, I called sears, explained the call center the problem, and the 'tech' who showed up, all he did was give me new air filters and clean the motor and took off with $200 he insisted the extra motor blowing is normal. (idiot)

If someone has a answer to solve this I will buy you a pumpkin spice latte or a Tim Horton's!!

kenny
10-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Are you sure its 3 minutes? Your furnace (according to the manual) runs the motor for 90 seconds after heat demand ends.

On Page 6 there are instructions on how to run a diagnostics test.

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/58p,r-9sm.pdf

prae
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
the majority of the air the furnace pushes around after the gas stops burning is going to be warmer anyway, its just cooling the exchanger... Plus you have to remember 80% of the air its taking in is just air from your house.

I really wouldn't be too concerned about it.

thetransporter
10-30-2009, 10:30 AM
thanks kenny , i did do the diag check last year and this year never brought up anything.

yes it runs for a few minutes. on this pc board theres no option to lower the blower run time value.

and for Prae;

i am very concerned about it, the house never warms up propertly, it puts the furance in a cycle, meaning i set the thermostat to 20, furance turns on with gas, runs, then after gas is off the blower runs for 120 seconds , then tempature drops then furance turns back on.

its exactly 2 minutes. It use to run for about 90 seconds.

legendboy
10-30-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't think that is your problem.

Which fan are you talking about? The small centrifugal fan that is for the exhaust or the actual blower fan that pushes air around your house?

Even if the big blower fan was running for 5 mins after your furnace shuts off it would not lower the temp in your house enough to cause the furnace to come back on. As stated above, its just recirculating the warm air that is already in your house, not air from outside.

Something doesn't make sense with this.

thetransporter
10-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
I don't think that is your problem.

Which fan are you talking about? The small centrifugal fan that is for the exhaust or the actual blower fan that pushes air around your house?

Even if the big blower fan was running for 5 mins after your furnace shuts off it would not lower the temp in your house enough to cause the furnace to come back on. As stated above, its just recirculating the warm air that is already in your house, not air from outside.

Something doesn't make sense with this.

makes perfect sense. its running way to long. if you google the problem theres many other people saying the same thing it seems the only way is to replace the board now.

thank you.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GFRD_en___CA335&ei=tCPrSvbJBJSMMvmWsIQM&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CBIQBSgA&q=furnace+blower+running&spell=1

its recirculating air in the house. this means problem with open relays. i will just go ahead and replace the pc-control board.

nusneak
10-30-2009, 11:51 AM
You paid $200 for some filters and someone to clean your blower motor???

Sears/Fagnans would be one of the last companies I called.
Sears lets anyone do replacements for them, and just changes more on top.

Call an actual Journeymen, since you are paying professional rate, you might as well have an actual professional come in and help.

Mark from Shamrock Heating is a 1 man show, Give him a call.
(403)796-3893
He always has ad's on Kijiji (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-services-skilled-trades-SHAMROCK-HEATING-SAVE-HUNDREDS-ON-HEATING-W0QQAdIdZ141216893)

thetransporter
10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by nusneak
You paid $200 for some filters and someone to clean your blower motor???

Sears/Fagnans would be one of the last companies I called.
Sears lets anyone do replacements for them, and just changes more on top.

Call an actual Journeymen, since you are paying professional rate, you might as well have an actual professional come in and help.

Mark from Shamrock Heating is a 1 man show, Give him a call.
(403)796-3893
He always has ad's on Kijiji (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-services-skilled-trades-SHAMROCK-HEATING-SAVE-HUNDREDS-ON-HEATING-W0QQAdIdZ141216893)

when fagnans installed it was a sale on.

Thank you for your input.

I didnt make a fuss with the sears guy as he was leaving I had guests come.