PDA

View Full Version : wall mounting 40" LCD Tv, what kind of supports?

quazimoto
10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Here's the rough idea.

We are building a new estate home, it has this nice wonderful stone covered fire place that goes from the floor to the ceiling. We had the builder leave out a nice area to install the wall mount.

Now they made the box of the fire place going from the ground to the ceiling surrounding the fireplace out of that particle board type plywood. I can't remember the name for it, but it's the same as the subfloor.

The big question, is it ok to hang the mount and TV by just having the lag bolts into this wood or should there be studs attached to the back of the wood to give more support.

I think they are trying to assure me that I won't need additional bracing but it seems a little off when you consider the weight of a 40" LCD.

GQBalla
10-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Hrm, that does seem off since all wall mounts I've installed needed to be in the studs

barmanjay
10-31-2009, 06:40 PM
osb is ok as long as its well attached to the studs

I would try and find where the studs are and add a few more screws. have 1 every 6" along the stud line.

to be on the safe side, i would glue and screw another sheet of plywood - 5/8 to be safe and you can hang yourself on there

Grogador
11-01-2009, 12:33 PM
We hang 65's off 5/8" plywood, holds fine (not permanent installation)

quazimoto
11-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Well the main two bolts would be into the stud right down the middle of the fire place. Then I was going to stick 4 more screws/bolts on each side of the bracket, so 4 on top, 4 on bottom total of 8 screws/bolts on the left and right side that are going in to 5/8" wood. I think It should be ok all considering.

Anton
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Well the main two bolts would be into the stud right down the middle of the fire place. Then I was going to stick 4 more screws/bolts on each side of the bracket, so 4 on top, 4 on bottom total of 8 screws/bolts on the left and right side that are going in to 5/8" wood. I think It should be ok all considering.

Did the exact same thing as you described with my 42" (two in wall stud and 8 otherwise). It was also one of the rotating mounts so it was usually pulled away from the wall about 4-5". Just took off the TV to move and checked the mount and not a single thing pulled so you should be set!