PDA

View Full Version : Q: Swine flu and infants.

spikerS
10-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Ok doctors office is closed, and google searches are not helping any.

background info:
This past week, I have been sick with what the doctor has said is swine flu. There was no test done, just the explination that, the test was not needed as my symptoms were not severe, and that I was fighting it naturally just fine, and that the swine flu is the only one making itself known and doing the rounds right now.

Ok cool, that's fine.

I did my best to stay away from the wife and 5.5 month old daughter. didn't pick her up, touch her toys ect.

but yesterday she started to develop a cough and sneeze. today it has become worse, she has become very irritable (i swear she is normally the happiest baby alive and is usually all smiles), she has become a little lethargic, and is not eating much, either from the breast or the bottle.

We are super worried here as we hear this flu is especially hard on children under 5, and even worse for children under 2.

Should we be running her to the hospital or just wait for our doctor to open up office on Monday?

And yes, I am still on hold with health link, and have been for almost 90 mins now.

suen17
10-31-2009, 12:29 PM
What's her temp like?

xrayvsn
10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
If she is not eating or taking anything by mouth, she runs the risk of becoming dehydrated. Is she still getting wet diapers, or have those diminished along with her oral intake?

Is she laboring to breathe?

spikerS
10-31-2009, 12:32 PM
temp seems ok, 37.5 but i am not trusting this god damn thermomiter. it is an oral one, and i am trying to keep her still enough to get a temp from under the arm.

as for the wet daipers, they seem to have diminiished as well, thankfully her breathing still seems ok, but she is crying alot right now.

we have also given her a bit of childrens tylenol in the hopes that some of the discomfort is from her teething.

xrayvsn
10-31-2009, 12:42 PM
You need to watch out for increasing lethargy, or signs of labored or rapid breathing. She needs to maintain her fluid intake, even moreso if she is running a fever.

For maintenance, a general rule is 100ml of fluid per day per kg body weight up to 10 kg, and an additional 50 ml/kg per day. If she can't keep up with that, then you may need to bring her in. Keep an eye on the wet diapers, and watch to see if she tears when she cries. No tears = dehydrated, and you need to increase her oral fluid intake or bring her in.

Respiratory symptoms also should prompt you to bring her in.

It is a tough choice to make, since you don't want to go in to the ER or Influenza Assessment Clinic since it may expose her to the flu if her symptoms are due to another process. Do your best to try to settle her symptoms at home, but don't hesistate to go in to get her assessed if you are worried about her.

JordanLotoski
10-31-2009, 01:19 PM
I realy feel for you right now, as i have been in your shoes many times. Its heart wreching seeing your child ill.

First thing i do is call health link 403-943-link. talk o a nurse about your childs symptoms. If they advise you do go to the hospital then id go.

If you live in the south head over to urgent care in sundance. They seem to rush kids through pretty quick.

Best of luck, hope you all feel better soon (hopefully its just a everyday flu)

spikerS
10-31-2009, 01:23 PM
well, i am totally pissed. i was on hold for 2.5 hours with health link, finally someone picked up, only to hang up on us.

I just said screw it, and sent the wife and baby to the childrens hospital to get assessed.

CMW403
10-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by spikers
well, i am totally pissed. i was on hold for 2.5 hours with health link, finally someone picked up, only to hang up on us.

I just said screw it, and sent the wife and baby to the childrens hospital to get assessed.

probably the best choice in the end. i really hope your daughter is ok, please let us know how it goes.

xrayvsn
10-31-2009, 01:39 PM
It is always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to kids. Hopefully all she needs is general supportive care, and nothing else. Please let us know how she does.

Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
Best of luck, hope you all feel better soon (hopefully its just a everyday flu)

Essentially all of the influenza activity in the region is H1N1. There are really no cases of seasonal flu currently, so if she has the flu, it will probably be H1N1. This is the reason why they did not bother to do a nasal swab on the OP and assumed he had H1N1.

JordanLotoski
10-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
It is always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to kids. Hopefully all she needs is general supportive care, and nothing else. Please let us know how she does.

Essentially all of the influenza activity in the region is H1N1. There are really no cases of seasonal flu currently, so if she has the flu, it will probably be H1N1. This is the reason why they did not bother to do a nasal swab on the OP and assumed he had H1N1.

Good to know, Thanks.

spikerS
10-31-2009, 03:41 PM
ok, well, i just got the call from the wife.

Doctor at children's thinks that Madison has H1N1, again no test done. Doctor thinks she is doing well, and vitals are all good, breathing easily, pulse and such are all good.

the question was to give her something called "tamiflu" (sp?) or not. I guess it is supposed to help her fight this, but apparently the side effects are pretty ugly. Doctor came out and said that if this was his child, with how well she is doing, he would not give it to her, but if she got worse at all to bring her back and they would give it to her.

so they are now on the way back home.

now we just gotta watch her really closely.

Kritafo
10-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Hope your daughter get better soon. Make you have everything you need at home just in case your wife starts to show symptoms as well. I think they are enough beyonders that are kind enough to offer help if you need it. Please ask if you need a drop off of anything. Take care of yourselves.

5000Audi
10-31-2009, 09:58 PM
hey dood, im actually in the same boat right now.. MY 4 month old had the same symptoms yesturday and last night. Not eating, very hot body, crying ALOT, not sleeping.. but once 5 am rolled around this morning she fell asleep and shes been fine since.. her body has cooled down, shes not irritable, seemed like it was some 24 hour cold.. But if your little one has the H1N1 make sure to keep using the hand sanitizer..

Oh and to the doctor dood, is the H1N1 test not a blood test? thats what i was told....

spikerS
10-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
Hope your daughter get better soon. Make you have everything you need at home just in case your wife starts to show symptoms as well. I think they are enough beyonders that are kind enough to offer help if you need it. Please ask if you need a drop off of anything. Take care of yourselves.

Thanks Kritafo! really appreciate it!

I am over the swine flu now, and feeling about 95% as it didn't really hit me that hard. I have been alot sicker in the past that this was a cake walk for me. Took about a week to get over it.

Wife and Daughter are both about the same point, about day 3 for me. I should be able to take care of them, but if the need arises, I hope I have built up enough Beyond brownie points with helping random Beyond members move that someone might give me a hand. lol.

Kritafo
11-01-2009, 12:16 AM
NO problem. I just think we are a large enough group to help if we are needed. Take care of your family.