PDA

View Full Version : gas prices expected to hit $1.20

corsvette
11-01-2009, 03:57 PM
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/10/31/11589006-sun.html

What has my attention is the forecast of $2-3dollars per litre in the next couple of years,yikes!Weak U.S dollar and increased demand must be the motivator for the price increse.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Meh, I will suck it up and pay.

sr20s14zenki
11-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Fuck that, i have 45 gallon drums, im going to go and fill them up and store them in my basement

ya right.....but im sure some people are thinking this :D

black13
11-01-2009, 04:27 PM
^^ seriously not a bad idea. It'll be like an investment.

1 barrel = 160Liters @ 95c/L = $152
160L @ 1.2c/L = $192
save $40 in a two week period!

RecoilS14
11-01-2009, 05:29 PM
AFAIK, Gasoline has a 6 months shelf life or something like that, just keep that in mind.

2EFNFAST
11-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
AFAIK, Gasoline has a 6 months shelf life or something like that, just keep that in mind.

And homeowners policies usually only allow you to store a nominal amount of gasoline on your property (e.g., 2-3gallons). So if you ever have an accident/garage fire/etc..., you'll be screwed.

old&slow
11-01-2009, 05:41 PM
The economy, according to some sources, Jeff Rubin being one, fell not primarily because of the housing fiasco but also because of the quick rise in oil, (gas prices).
If it shoots up again, I figure the same thing will happen again.
Our economy cannot sustain that kind of strain. High gas prices will stifle and possibly kill all growth and right back into recession we go.

That's my take on it!

KandabashiDevil
11-01-2009, 08:21 PM
^^ That's the truth

Gouging the public by raising fuel prices will have a detrimental effect on the economy. Businesses who heavily rely on transport will also feel the sting of increased fuel surcharges.
Everyone knows gasoline isn't the ideal "renewable resource", and supply reserves are dwindling as demand explodes.

As much as I hate to say it .... Gas prices have to be raised out of necessity. But it certainly won't be for the good of anyone outside the fossil fuel industry :(

Xtrema
11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
^ good for this city but it's not news. Everyone is into alternatives now.

Cooked Rice
11-02-2009, 12:31 AM
this is where having a dinky 1.5L/1.6L daily driver will be nice.

syritis
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Pump prices going up in winter? yeah just like increased supply makes any product cost more. Every time the pump price jumps huge amounts it puts the oil industry in the center of media attention, so the oil corps spend vast amounts on propaganda so they can stay below the radar and raise the prices slowly as often as possible. thus these market analysts that are usually on the payroll and spew out these ridiculous numbers so that in a couple month time your happy that price of fuel has only increased half of what was predicted.

i laugh when these market analysts say that the cost of gasoline is set by the cost of collection/production/distribution. yet when i had my learners license, the price at the pump was roughly 0.008% of the cost per barrel. then during the booming economy the price was pretty consistently 0.01%/barrel (150$/barrel- 1.50$/liter).
then the recession hit, the cost gas was 0.022% (36$/barrel-0.82$/liter)
now. it's at 0.012% (78$/barrel-0.94$/liter)

so even though the process of refining the crude oil hasn't changed at all in the last like 20 years the manufacturers continue to increase prices of refining steadily thus giving themselves more profit.

syritis
11-02-2009, 11:02 AM
it would be nice if canada just legalized electric cars so that at least there is an alternative.
Right now any electric cars is categorized as a golf cart and is restricted to 40km/h, doesn't sound like a viable alternative to me.

atgilchrist
11-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by syritis
i laugh when these market analysts say that the cost of gasoline is set by the cost of collection/production/distribution. yet when i had my learners license, the price at the pump was roughly 0.008% of the cost per barrel. then during the booming economy the price was pretty consistently 0.01%/barrel (150$/barrel- 1.50$/liter).

so even though the process of refining the crude oil hasn't changed at all in the last like 20 years the manufacturers continue to increase prices of refining steadily thus giving themselves more profit.

You prove you own point wrong in your example. The cost of oil plays only a part of the total cost of gasoline. The cost of production and distribution has gone up in recent years, and taxes always amplify an increase in the price of gas.

syritis
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

You prove you own point wrong in your example. The cost of oil plays only a part of the total cost of gasoline. The cost of production and distribution has gone up in recent years, and taxes always amplify an increase in the price of gas.

distribution cost? like the cost of filling up the transport trucks with diesel? crude costs + pump price = higher pump price.
like i said if the crude costs are the same but the pump price goes up, the transport drivers then fill up at the higher price and pass the cost onto the consumer.

If you made a product and NOTHING else in the economy kept your prices competitive then what would stop you from charging the customer an unjustifiably large amount?
I worked in the manufacturing industry (in alberta it's largely dependent on the oil industry) I noticed that when the pump price was high, the amount of waste and careless spending amplified 10 fold. again with no market regulations it allows other companies to put their hand in the money pot and pass that cost to the consumer.

YamahaV8
11-02-2009, 12:00 PM
When the prices are around $2-3 per liter my civic will be worth more than your fancy SUV's :devil:
/evil laugh

blownz
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
meh, your civic still couldn't tow my trailer. :poosie:

And if gas prices went up and it meant fewer people clogging the roads then I would be happy, but it seems like everyone still drives to work so I find it annoying. lol

freshprince1
11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have bought that Envoy.

ClearBluewater
11-02-2009, 01:02 PM
:clap: the oil and gas industry :clap:

FraserB
11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't care. I'll still drive the gas hog, maybe I'll even be able to get an O&G internship this summer.:clap:

ClearBluewater
11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by syritis
Pump prices going up in winter? yeah just like increased supply makes any product cost more. Every time the pump price jumps huge amounts it puts the oil industry in the center of media attention, so the oil corps spend vast amounts on propaganda so they can stay below the radar and raise the prices slowly as often as possible. thus these market analysts that are usually on the payroll and spew out these ridiculous numbers so that in a couple month time your happy that price of fuel has only increased half of what was predicted.

Thanks for proving the theory of supply and demand :facepalm:

syritis
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by ClearBluewater

Thanks for proving the theory of supply and demand :facepalm:

considering that during the boom last year when gas prices where highest there was more oil in storage then ever before. and the fact that on any given weekday the number of cars driving doesn't change very much yet the prices fluctuate continue to escalate.

Criticull
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
When gas costs $2 a litre here, I will feel sorry for my british relatives who will be paying 2 pounds a litre. They will be pissed.