PDA

View Full Version : 2007 BMW 335i?

ClearBluewater
11-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Thinking of buying one of these and i am doing some research. Has anyone owned one and have any kind of feedback on it? Thanks!

G
11-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Bad new worse used.

ClearBluewater
11-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Very insightful thank you :dunno:

A2VR6
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Coupe or Sedan? Auto or Manual? The earlier build date Auto Sedans had no oil cooler (before March 1st 07 I believe).

ClearBluewater
11-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
Coupe or Sedan? Auto or Manual? The earlier build date Auto Sedans had no oil cooler (before March 1st 07 I believe).

I'm gonna have to check the date then, and that would be the auto sedan probably.

benyl
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by G
Bad new worse used.

:werd:

My car got dropped off this morning for the following:

1. HPFP or injectors are acting up when cold outside.
2. Comfort Access doesn't work intermittently.
3. Buttons on the radio don't hold preset shortcuts.
4. Waste gates are ticking.
5. Rear brakes make lots of noise when it is warm outside.

Make sure you get one with warranty!

G
11-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Don't want to say too much otherwise I will be accused of not being a true car enthusiast.

Originally posted by ClearBluewater
Very insightful thank you :dunno:

G
11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I have 3 out of the 5 issues. Last week it went into safemode for no reason.

benyl
11-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Oil coolers only come in sport package equipped cars for 2007 and 2008.

funkedelic2
11-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I have an 08 i haven't had any issues with mine other than this

5. Rear brakes make lots of noise, which is annoying as hell.

Other than that the car has been fantastic for me. (knock on wood) many 2007's don't have oil coolers and of 335i's have had HPFP issues. They have huge potential. I came over from an M3 and have enjoyed this car a lot more. Try to get one with sport package.

I recommend joining e90post.com, you can research the car and learn a lot more about it. Many issues have been covered on that forum, just do a search.

Hope that helps a bit.

benyl
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by G

I have 3 out of the 5 issues. Last week it went into safemode for no reason.

When it is really cold out, my car goes into safe mode and idles like a diesel truck.

I actually got a real CEL and when the codes were pulled, cylinder 1, 2 and 3 all had misfires detected.

funkedelic2
11-02-2009, 04:59 PM

When it is really cold out, my car goes into safe mode and idles like a diesel truck.

I actually got a real CEL and when the codes were pulled, cylinder 1, 2 and 3 all had misfires detected.

Damn you have had lots of issues. Is it an 07? Almost sounds like a Lemon.

benyl
11-02-2009, 05:11 PM
2008. November 2007 build.

The issues are all related to the HPFP and injectors. Many, many people have had their HPFP replaced multiple times.

funkedelic2
11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
2008. November 2007 build.

The issues are all related to the HPFP and injectors. Many, many people have had their HPFP replaced multiple times.

Yeah i've seen that on the forums, i think i read about a guy being on his 4th. The dealership will replace it without an issues for free but still it's gotta be a huge hassle.

Pretty ridiculous that BMW hasn't fixed this issue. Even some of the brand new ones are experiencing HPFP failures.

If i'm driving around and the car dies on the highway i'm going to be fucked. The nearest dealership is 2 hrs away.

JordanLotoski
11-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Ill sell you mind for 39,900. Cheapest in town,

sport and prem pack
49,000km
3m
19's wheels
Black on black

driven mostly by my wife

well maintained, Father works at Calgary bmw so its been well taken care of.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7100/bmws005.jpg

for an extra 2000 ill include these wheels (cost me 4800 last summer)

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7842/335i028small.jpg

A2VR6
11-02-2009, 08:53 PM

Oil coolers only come in sport package equipped cars for 2007 and 2008.

yes, but even the early build sport package cars didnt have a cooler.

2000TL
11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

Other than that the car has been fantastic for me. (knock on wood) many 2007's don't have oil coolers and of 335i's have had HPFP issues. They have huge potential. I came over from an M3 and have enjoyed this car a lot more. Try to get one with sport package.

I recommend joining e90post.com, you can research the car and learn a lot more about it. Many issues have been covered on that forum, just do a search.

Hope that helps a bit.

+1 i have an 08 and haven't had any major issues. My brakes are making a lot of noise as well and I have had it checked but it still makes noise.

e90post.com is a good place to research issues.

InRich
11-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I never knew these cars had such problems... Guess I'll stop looking at 335s altogether, I was hoping to get a 09 or 10. But these issue's are a joke

Love the cars, total friggin eye candy. IMHO best looking cars on the road.

I'll prob just get an RS4 or an x5-M

2000TL
11-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
Ill sell you mind for 39,900. Cheapest in town,

sport and prem pack
49,000km
3m
19's wheels
Black on black

driven mostly by my wife

well maintained, Father works at Calgary bmw so its been well taken care of.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7100/bmws005.jpg

for an extra 2000 ill include these wheels (cost me 4800 last summer)

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7842/335i028small.jpg

+1
MIWYFSHOT's car is stunning. Here are a couple pics from a year ago of his ride. Amazing!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/cpi29/2663567128_0ea50b4b9b_b.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/cpi29/2664480289_4aed9311c8_o.jpg

ClearBluewater
11-02-2009, 11:35 PM

Wow i didn't realize there was so many problems, I am really set on this car though and i am getting it for a steal (28,xxx) 70k mostly highway.

Hope that helps a bit.

Gonna check out the website as well, thanks everyone for the feedback! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
11-03-2009, 12:22 AM

Wow i didn't realize there was so many problems, I am really set on this car though and i am getting it for a steal (28,xxx) 70k mostly highway.

Gonna check out the website as well, thanks everyone for the feedback! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you're set on getting on then why did you start this thread?:)

nightfx
11-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by InRich
I never knew these cars had such problems... Guess I'll stop looking at 335s altogether, I was hoping to get a 09 or 10. But these issue's are a joke

Why would you look at 335i's if an RS4 or x5M are on your mind?

kwazy
11-03-2009, 03:53 AM
two words.

FUEL PUMP!

benyl
11-03-2009, 09:43 AM

$28K won't seen like such a steal when the warranty runs out in 10K kms.

Also, $28K for that car likely means a base model. Don't bother taking it to the track without an oil cooler. Your oil will overheat and you will get the half engine light and reduced power. Don't even think about modding it either.

But as Redlyne said, if you are so set on it, why would you even ask about issues you are going to disregard anyway?

ClearBluewater
11-03-2009, 11:28 AM

$28K won't seen like such a steal when the warranty runs out in 10K kms.

Also, $28K for that car likely means a base model. Don't bother taking it to the track without an oil cooler. Your oil will overheat and you will get the half engine light and reduced power. Don't even think about modding it either.

But as Redlyne said, if you are so set on it, why would you even ask about issues you are going to disregard anyway?

I'm not disregarding them i just think an oil cooler (which seems to be the main problem) is not a big enough problem to turn this down.

Edit: Not really worried too much about options like nav and 18" wheels, Steptronic would be nice to have though, what else should I be looking for?

AMFH403
11-03-2009, 11:57 AM
As stated before, the oil cooler isn't the main problem because later models with the sport package got them. Fuel pumps and injectors are the main problem IMO. Also after owning a 335i for a year and a half my car goes into safe mode a lot more often now. Also if you wished to purchase a oil cooler from BMW they simply tell you that they can't install/sell you a OEM one and that if you wanted to get a oil cooler you would have to get the Dinan one to keep your warrenty. I got quoted for around 4600 for the cooler! Benyl's right too, without the oil cooler don't track the car or mod it unless you want to see pages of service bills.

Oh and another tip before you purchase the car would be to check all the car's service records. Not for like oil changes and shit like that cause it's mandatory to keep the warranty. Check for things like how many times did they have to get the fuel pump replaced or the injectors.

Anyways good luck on purchasing your car.

GoldenBOY2
11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
You can't complain, I drove a 335i convertible and I LOVED it. It was the smoothest ride ever, when you go 100km/h and go around a corrner it feels like you are only going 60km/h. The pick up and the exhaust sound were amazing, you should injoy it.

ClearBluewater
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by AMFH403
As stated before, the oil cooler isn't the main problem because later models with the sport package got them. Fuel pumps and injectors are the main problem IMO. Also after owning a 335i for a year and a half my car goes into safe mode a lot more often now. Also if you wished to purchase a oil cooler from BMW they simply tell you that they can't install/sell you a OEM one and that if you wanted to get a oil cooler you would have to get the Dinan one to keep your warrenty. I got quoted for around 4600 for the cooler! Benyl's right too, without the oil cooler don't track the car or mod it unless you want to see pages of service bills.

Oh and another tip before you purchase the car would be to check all the car's service records. Not for like oil changes and shit like that cause it's mandatory to keep the warranty. Check for things like how many times did they have to get the fuel pump replaced or the injectors.

Anyways good luck on purchasing your car.

I'm not 100% sure if its the sport package yet but i will find out when he is back in town on Saturday. The fuel pumps and injectors would also be under warranty right?

In the case that its not a sport package the only thing that would stop me from taking it to the track or modding it would be the oil cooler, but since the warranty would be up in about 10k couldn't i just find someone to retro fit one for me for less than 5k?

AMFH403
11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah your right Golden, it is a lot of fun to drive. But as it keeps getting older as with any car it'll be pretty expensive to maintain. With some people having to replace the injectors and fuel pumps 4 times while under warranty it gets rather expensive after warranty. Plus if you've ever bought your car in for a warranty problem at any Calgary BMW dealership, you won't be getting your car back in a week lol. Oh and they don't give you a loner vehicle unless your the first person at the door when they open or if you booked it out before. Then comes to problem of booking one for the time you are away from your car. (Wait time for a loner = 3 months.)

AMFH403
11-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Clear Blue if it does have a oil cooler then it's not that bad of a deal assuming it hasn't had any fuel pump/injector problems prior. Depending on how much you drive 10k rather coomes up quick. Does the vehicle your purchasing have extended warranty?

Malicious
11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Got a white 2008 335i cabrio w/ sport package for sale if you want it. PM me

ClearBluewater
11-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by AMFH403
Clear Blue if it does have a oil cooler then it's not that bad of a deal assuming it hasn't had any fuel pump/injector problems prior. Depending on how much you drive 10k rather coomes up quick. Does the vehicle your purchasing have extended warranty?

Doesn't have extended warranty, just read on e90post that BMW is able to install the oil cooler for 300 in about 3 hours for a 700ish total, and i need to verify the pump/injector problems as well.

funkedelic2
11-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by InRich

You shouldn't let that discourage you too much from wanting one. Sure there have been people that have had HPFP issues but there are a lot more that haven't had any. Nobody is going to post about their cars not having any issues but you'll hear about it when something goes wrong. I haven't had any, and thousands others have been fortunate as well.

Just try to find one has a factory oil cooler.

I'm not disregarding them i just think an oil cooler (which seems to be the main problem) is not a big enough problem to turn this down.

Edit: Not really worried too much about options like nav and 18" wheels, Steptronic would be nice to have though, what else should I be looking for?

Sport is a must imo.

signature7
11-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I was hoping to purchase a 335i and taking a trip to Germany to test drive my car before they ship it over to Calgary. I'd be all over that when I purchased my X5 M, but they don't make it anywhere near Europe. IMO the 335i coupe is the up there for best looking coupe (I really like the Audi s5 as well). I'm still a bit green when it comes to BMW's so I also didn't know the magnitude of these problems.

sneek
11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah don't buy one without an intercooler. Also if you are buying used, consider adding in an oil cooler as well! These engines run pretty hot. After you get both JB3 it (If it is under warranty )

funkedelic2
11-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by sneek
Yeah don't buy one without an intercooler. Also if you are buying used, consider adding in an oil cooler as well! These engines run pretty hot. After you get both JB3 it (If it is under warranty )

They all come equipped with intercoolers. Juicebox/Vishnu tunes voids your warranty. If you are worried about that, go with Dinan.

sneek
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM

They all come equipped with intercoolers. Juicebox/Vishnu tunes voids your warranty. If you are worried about that, go with Dinan.

A lot of people just remove it before service...

funkedelic2
11-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by signature7
I was hoping to purchase a 335i and taking a trip to Germany to test drive my car before they ship it over to Calgary. I'd be all over that when I purchased my X5 M, but they don't make it anywhere near Europe. IMO the 335i coupe is the up there for best looking coupe (I really like the Audi s5 as well). I'm still a bit green when it comes to BMW's so I also didn't know the magnitude of these problems.

The S5 is beautiful but when you compare it to the 335i it falls a bit short plus its more $$. I guess it depends how much you care about aesthetics. They are both good looking cars and i also considered that car myself before buying my 3 series.

All cars have issues, the 335i isn't the only car that has the N54 motor either. BMW uses it in the following cars:

2008– E60 Sedan 535i
2008– E61 Touring 535i
2008– E82 Coupé 135i
2008– E88 Convertible 135i
2009– F01 Sedan 740i
2009– BMW X6 xDrive35i
2010– BMW Z4 sDrive35i

funkedelic2
11-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by sneek

A lot of people just remove it before service...

Yeah but thats gotta be a pain in the ass. I am considering a JB3 but worried about the lifespan of the car and having issues arrise because of the tune. I'll most likely still get it though, awesome gains :thumbsup:

sneek
11-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Yeah but thats gotta be a pain in the ass. I am considering a JB3 but worried about the lifespan of the car and having issues arrise because of the tune. I'll most likely still get it though, awesome gains :thumbsup:

hahaha it just depends on if you own the car or not. If you are leasing it...I would go for it, if you bought the car out right, then I might be reluctant because of how hard it pushes the turbos! I think it is something like 13.5 PSI! I mean one can't really expect to get the same life out of something when you push it way past what it was engineered for. I think it takes well under an hour the first time you install it, and honestly...it would depend how often you have the car serviced! How often do you actually get your E92 serviced at the dealership? :D The power is defs worth it, however I want a button to cycle through the maps next to the shifter (AT). Doing this however would undoubtedly void the warranty.

ClearBluewater
11-03-2009, 11:40 PM
I read on e90post that it was like 8.5 PSI and the turbos aren't actually pushed that hard.

benyl
11-04-2009, 12:06 AM
8.5 is the stock boost.