PDA

View Full Version : locked my f%&*^$#@)(*&%%& keys in my civic

misterrick
11-02-2009, 06:49 PM
so i stupidly locked my doors while my car is in the GARAGE, and the keys are in the ignition. probably my fault for not having a spare, but point of the matter is,

how the hell do i get in without calling a locksmith? when my car got stolen last year, they managed to not fuck up my locks at all, so i know theres a way. googled has given me nothing but i must just be asking the wrong questions.

A790
11-02-2009, 06:50 PM
First off, what yr is the civic?

eglove
11-02-2009, 07:14 PM
wire coat hanger ftw

TurboD
11-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Is this thread a joke?

The OP claims to be a turbo installer for hire, and has a quote in his signature making fun of someone for not having basic knowledge of a car....

and he can't think of a way to open his door? in his garage?

lol

One time I locked my keys in the car in the middle of no where and had a pair of vice grips which I used to remove the wiper arm and pulled the wiper and used the arm to unlock the door...

misterrick
11-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by TurboD
Is this thread a joke?

The OP claims to be a turbo installer for hire, and has a quote in his signature making fun of someone for not having basic knowledge of a car....

and he can't think of a way to open his door? in his garage?

lol

One time I locked my keys in the car in the middle of no where and had a pair of vice grips which I used to remove the wiper arm and pulled the wiper and used the arm to unlock the door...

unfortunatly this isnt a joke... its in my parents garage and i just moved back so i only have a few tools. i want to avoid wrecking anything. hate all you want, i only want the keys out of the car. and im not in much of a hurry since im pulling the motor right now.

its a 92 hatchback.

FiveFreshFish
11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Some manufacturers provide a key tag with a identifying code on it so car dealers can cut a new key corresponding to that code.

Look in owner's manual folder and it may be in one of the pockets.

misterrick
11-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Some manufacturers provide a key tag with a identifying code on it so car dealers can cut a new key corresponding to that code.

Look in owner's manual folder and it may be in one of the pockets.

its a jdm civic. so the manual wouldnt do me any good if i had it. not to mention that im in a small town that doesnt have a honda dealership....ugh....

FiveFreshFish
11-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Maybe the key pattern is linked to the VIN. Not sure, just tossing out ideas.:dunno:

npham
11-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Here you go,

http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u107/Brick.jpg

or

http://osopher.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/hammer1.jpg

Either one will work pretty well to smash your window out....but seriously, have you never used a coat hanger to unlock your car?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Use a swing press!

misterrick
11-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by npham
Here you go,

http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u107/Brick.jpg

or

http://osopher.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/hammer1.jpg

Either one will work pretty well to smash your window out....but seriously, have you never used a coat hanger to unlock your car?

quite a few times on every other car ive owned. just dont trust myself with not scratching paint. i will use the hanger if need be. trying to call in a favour from a friends brother that works for CAA here in manitoba....

Graham_A_M
11-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah if you bend a coat hanger in just the right way, you can unlock your door. It takes time, but pull the top of the door away from the car, and wedge something in there to give you room to work. Next slide in a custom bent coathanger. You may have to double it up for strength, or use another one on a different axis to "pull" it in the direction you want.
If you can, use a piece of steel as coat hangers are hard to work with since they bend so easily.

-Good luck

misterrick
11-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Yeah if you bend a coat hanger in just the right way, you can unlock your door. It takes time, but pull the top of the door away from the car, and wedge something in there to give you room to work. Next slide in a custom bent coathanger. You may have to double it up for strength, or use another one on a different axis to "pull" it in the direction you want.
If you can, use a piece of steel as coat hangers are hard to work with since they bend so easily.

-Good luck

im more than familiar with the coat hanger technique. however all the hangers i have arent long enough. i realized its more of a big deal than i thought because i need the doohickey to take off my splined lugs :( lamegay

theken
11-03-2009, 12:01 AM
call a tow truck guy for like 50 bucks

chkolny541
11-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by misterrick

quite a few times on every other car ive owned. just dont trust myself with not scratching paint.

what concern do you have on a 15+yr jdm civic?

FiveFreshFish
11-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

-Good luck

Some fuckers broke into my '91 Civic in a similar way, except they bent the window outward from the frame. The only damage done was the black plastic tab normally affixed to the window frame which aligns the window when it's closed; this part was busted off during the break-in. The window is surprisingly bendable.

Danny Meehan
11-03-2009, 12:57 AM
slim jim it

misterrick
11-03-2009, 01:13 AM
i got in. just didnt have the patience to do it by myself. i just had a buddy hold the door pryed out while i popped the hatch latch. way easier than getting it to the lock. minimal paint scrapeage.

and i care because its MY car. what does its age or what side the steering wheel is on have to do with not wanting to wreck my stuff?

it may not be a ferrari, but im a poor ass fucker that will never own something really nice so its MY ferrari.

FiveFreshFish
11-03-2009, 01:18 AM
^^^ Should have taped up the area with painter's tape first.

misterrick
11-03-2009, 01:19 AM
^^^ Should have taped up the area with painter's tape first.

shit!! i have a roll sitting in tha garage now too...

misterrick
11-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by theken
call a tow truck guy for like 50 bucks

that same $50 can now buy some arp rod bolts

jdm_eg6
11-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

what concern do you have on a 15+yr jdm civic?

he has put a shit load in the car, and its his enjoyment.. who gives a shit.

Try a slim jim or find a friend with ama.. then its free.

ShermanEF9
11-03-2009, 02:30 AM
for next time. another way to do it is to pull the moulding at the bottom of the window away, and push down near the lock with a screw driver.... done it many times.

71car2
11-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
for next time. another way to do it is to pull the moulding at the bottom of the window away, and push down near the lock with a screw driver.... done it many times.

Yeah - this

Had done that few times - you'd be surprised how easy some window mouldings can be removed.

Graham_A_M
11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
^Yeah I should have said, go between the cars frame & its moulding. :banghead: dammit, I forgot to mention that.

Some fuckers broke into my '91 Civic in a similar way, except they bent the window outward from the frame. The only damage done was the black plastic tab normally affixed to the window frame which aligns the window when it's closed; this part was busted off during the break-in. The window is surprisingly bendable.
Yeah if you're careful you can pull it off without damaging the vehicle. I've done this a couple times over the years, to both my old S10 & Saturn winter car.

jonfoo
11-05-2009, 10:01 AM
for the 92 civic since the windows did not go into the frames of the doors it is actually very easy to pull the window out up to 3 inches without the window shattering, this makes it easy for skinny criminals to stick their arms in and unlock it, thats y u need a club

Mar
11-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Some fuckers broke into my '91 Civic in a similar way, except they bent the window outward from the frame. The only damage done was the black plastic tab normally affixed to the window frame which aligns the window when it's closed; this part was busted off during the break-in. The window is surprisingly bendable. Got into my 2005 the same way, it's a defect in all the Civics making them so easy to steal. When my pager went off and I went to investigate, he was sitting in the driver's seat. "Uh, can I help you?"

So ya, just pull the top of the window out, hit the lock.

jonfoo
11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
umm i'm pretty sure they fixed that in the 7th gen civic, btw what'd u do? please tell me ur a huge guy and you kicked his ass

Mar
11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by jonfoo
umm i'm pretty sure they fixed that in the 7th gen civic, btw what'd u do? please tell me ur a huge guy and you kicked his ass
They didn't, the window still doesn't go up into the door moulding, it just sits against the door. Very weird design.

And cliff notes:
- caught guy
- chased guy
- guy tried to stab me with screwdriver
- let guy go in fear of life
- forensics pulled guy's print from car window
- guy caught, court date issued for break/enter and assault
- detective never called me back about sentencing details

Thieves Names: John Tillings and John Horton

I explained it in detail in a few other threads. But ya, just pull the window out. But I'm pretty sure you're out of gas by now if the car was running.

misterrick
11-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Mar

They didn't, the window still doesn't go up into the door moulding, it just sits against the door. Very weird design.

And cliff notes:
- caught guy
- chased guy
- guy tried to stab me with screwdriver
- let guy go in fear of life
- forensics pulled guy's print from car window
- guy caught, court date issued for break/enter and assault
- detective never called me back about sentencing details

Thieves Names: John Tillings and John Horton

I explained it in detail in a few other threads. But ya, just pull the window out. But I'm pretty sure you're out of gas by now if the car was running.

lol does nobody read the whole thread? i got into the car a couple days ago already, and it was sitting in my parents garage, not running....

but, i would have tripped if i found someone in my car. i would have been the one stabbing with a screwdriver lol

and the window reason is why i have a quick release hub as well as an alarm :thumbsup:

Kloubek
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Wow - this sounds a lot like a situation I ran into a month ago.

Locked keys in ignition.

Pryed out window. Was able to access power window switch, and roll it down.

Scratched the paint a little too. I also had painters tape.

So don't feel bad op - there are alot of us dumbasses out there....