PDA

View Full Version : Highwood @ SAIT

DJ_NAV
11-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Just made reservations there for 3 weeks later. Got lucky I guess since there aren't really taking any resvervations at the moment for until next year. Don't know really what to expect. Has anyone from here been there? My understanding is that its $42+tax+tip for a 5 course meal.

npham
11-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I think you have to rate the food/servers/etc as well, because they are getting marked on their performance too.

cannondale1
11-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Never been there personally, but i've only ever heard great things about this place and how well it is run.

bigboom
11-02-2009, 11:13 PM
a friend of mine is the head instructor at the highwood. its a great value for the food you get, keep in mind that the place is run by students so if you go there with too high expectations you may be disappointed but its a great place and i highly recommend it.

dj_rice
11-03-2009, 12:00 AM
When I was in the PCK program at SAIT, I had my run in the Highwood Dining, yes it is run by students, servers I believe are in the Hospitality Management Program and the cooking is done by PCK students.

For the value your paying and the quality, its quite good but don't expect fancy fine dining here since the students are still learning. IIRC it is 2nd semester cooking students.

Keep in mind, the students are always in rotation, 3 weeks IIRC, so if its good for one point in time, it might be horrible the next since its a new batch of students

xxxazntigerxx
11-03-2009, 12:18 AM
where at sait is this place located ?thanks

dj_rice
11-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by xxxazntigerxx
where at sait is this place located ?thanks

Its in between the John Ware Building and beside the Rez

xxxazntigerxx
11-03-2009, 12:27 AM
so just park at sait then i can find it right?

cooperS
11-03-2009, 11:08 AM
it is right across from the student residential building.

eb0i
11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Just had dinner there with my Lady las night and it was fantastic. Had the 4 courses plus dessert and it was just so delicious. Great service and everything. Be aware that there are no "walk-ins" accepted so you'll have to book in advance.

The Highwood is located in the John Ware Building which is closer to 10th St and 16th Ave.

To get to the parking lot take 16th Ave East bound and make a right turn after the Parkade.

seksy
11-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by eb0i
Just had dinner there with my Lady las night and it was fantastic. Had the 4 courses plus dessert and it was just so delicious. Great service and everything. Be aware that there are no "walk-ins" accepted so you'll have to book in advance.

The Highwood is located in the John Ware Building which is closer to 10th St and 16th Ave.

To get to the parking lot take 16th Ave East bound and make a right turn after the Parkade.

Out of curiosity, what was your server's name?

nonlinear
11-05-2009, 11:27 AM
i wonder what genious decided on the name "highwood." that's even less appetizing than "st. germain" or "capo," which IMO are some of the biggest restaurant name distaters in calgary.

just sayin'.

DJ_NAV
11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
name doesn't really matter to me... along with most people... if the food is good people will go. you could name your restaurant something stupid like 'blank' and ppl would go.

Sil80_D
11-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Ate there a while back. Food was delicious but the service was a little wonky. Duno if they were being tested that night or whatnot but our server's hands were really shaky to the point where he spilled water while trying to pour it and almost tipping over an entree...

dj_rice
11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
i wonder what genious decided on the name "highwood." that's even less appetizing than "st. germain" or "capo," which IMO are some of the biggest restaurant name distaters in calgary.

just sayin'.

At least its better than NAIT's similar restaurant concept Ernest's....:thumbsdow

And when I was going for PCK back in 2000 it was called Highwood Dining so I guess they dropped the Dining part

rinny
11-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

just sayin'.

Im curious, how does the Highwood name detract from it being an appetizing restaurant to go to?? Its a classy name that brings to mind going to a quality lounge that has a fancy wood-top bar...not to mention the Highwood area of Alberta is quite scenic with a river (Highwood river) that boasts some wicked fishing.

Im looking forward to hearing a review for this restaurant...

eb0i
11-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by seksy

Out of curiosity, what was your server's name?

Haha I have no clue.