PDA

View Full Version : What kind of microphone to use?

oceanblue
11-03-2009, 01:29 AM
For people who record there own music or know alot about this stuff, im looking to get a microphone which will be used for recording vocals.

Im not looking to spend alot(they can get damn expensive), but I do want good quality, any opions on a particular type to get?

Also opions on if it should be dynamic or condesor, from what ive reseached condensor is better quality but more expensive?

thanks!

300havoc
11-03-2009, 01:39 AM
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_SM58-CN_content

probably the greatest basic studio mic I've seen. I have a small hobby studio in my house (read=bunch of gear in my basement, no where near professional) but I've done demo recordings and lp recordings using that mic for vocals, and sometimes guitar.

IMO one of the cheepest, but surprisingly good quality mic you can find, i know AXE music has them, but long&McQuade also rents them, so they probably have some there as well.

msommers
11-03-2009, 10:08 AM
SM58 is a staple in the recording world and what I was going to suggest as well. But then again, what kind of budget did you have in mind? And what equipment do you have already?

TKRIS
11-03-2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=37-202&Category_Code=microphones

These are supposed to be very good mics. Not exactly like an SM58, but really, really close.

Mibz
11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I'd look at something like a Rode NT1A if it's strictly for vocals. The SM58 won't be as good for voice but you'll be able to use it almost anywhere else, and buy 3 of them for the price of the NT1A.

msommers
11-03-2009, 10:46 AM
If you're going to be at ~$300 price range, I'd consider looking at the Blue Bluebird as well. That's not to say the NT1A is bad though.

b_t
11-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Shure SM58 for sure. If you want to go all out, the SM7B is also good.

oceanblue
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM
im deciding between sm58 and a few usb condensor microphones, i know reviews of sm58 are really good, but do they compare to cheaper (100ish range) usb condensor mics?

thanks for the replys!

zipdoa
11-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I just picked up an SM58 for $60 at a pawnshop on macleod trail... keep your eyes open and look around kijiji/craigslist and you should be able to find one!

I also use an Audio Technica AT2020, I think it was around $250 @ long and mcquade and it does an INCREDIBLE job at recording anything from vocals to a few people jamming at once. You'll need phantom power to use it so make sure you factor that into your budget.

DRKM
11-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I have some SM58s and 57s but when I record vocals in studio you gotta use a condensor. The Audio Technica AT2020 is pretty good for the price but for vocals I find that Studio projects c3 is AMAZING!

The up side on the SM58s is that they can be used live.
The condensor gives a much richer sound and has a much wider bandwidth. The C3 picks up everything and more.

As for USB condensors my only experiance has been shitty and I took it back...

msommers
11-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I would really advice against using a USB mic. Quite honestly, you get what you pay for.

Maybe look at the M-Audio Fast Track Pro or E-MU 0404. They are both very basic audio interfaces at ~$200.00. M-Audio has a firewire and usb version; E-MU only USB as far as I know. Also, the E-MU has phantom power for as I'm looking at it right now :) Can't remember about the M-Audio.

I only have 1 mic now, an SM57. I really want to get back to recording some acoustic stuff I was working on, but 1 mic and a 57 at that, just doesn't cut it!

Oh I forgot to mention, check out steve's music online. They had better prices than anyone in town and Axe price matched no problemo.

oceanblue
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
serious thats sweet, did you just print out the page with the price and take it into the store?

I called axe and they recommended Samson C01U, i was looking at that too before, it seems pretty good. cad u3 seems decent also.

oceanblue
11-19-2009, 11:49 AM
DKRM- which one did you buy? hopefully not all of em suck

zipdoa- thx ill check those sites out