PDA

View Full Version : Vag-Com

accord885
11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Just wondering if anyone in the Calgary area has a Vag-com cable. Going to be in the area sometime soon and need a couple of my settings on my Jetta changed.

Ashers
11-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Depends on when "soon" is and where abouts in the city are you staying? I have a Hex-CAN-USB, in the NW. I promised myself I'd never talk to anyone ever again from "the hat" after my little rigmarole with Southland VW (Long story, they screwed me over big time when I bought my Golf). I could always try to make an exception :nut:

PS... Rage... We should start and sticky a "Who has VAG-COM (now VCDS)" thread.

accord885
11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Haha... Prob will be around the end of the month. (I'm not from Med Hat, just live there right now) If you were game I could meet you where ever in Calgary you wanted. Prob the 28-30th ish. And yes a Vag sticky would be a good idea.

Thaco
11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
am i the only one that snickers a lil bit every time i see the term "vag-com"?

accord885
11-03-2009, 01:24 PM
There is a registry site called Vag Tool. I think that's even funnier.

Masked Bandit
11-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
am i the only one that snickers a lil bit every time i see the term "vag-com"?

Nope, you're not the only one.

Ashers
11-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey, no problem, I can help you out. I don't know what shifts I work yet though... but it shouldn't be a problem.

Thaco... they renamed it to VCDS for that reason I think.

ricosuave
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I've got one as well, im in the NW, Thorncliffe...

Mitsu3000gt
11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I have one too, downtown area.

syeve
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
^^Hey Mitsu, what do you use it for on your B6?

Mitsu3000gt
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by syeve
^^Hey Mitsu, what do you use it for on your B6?

Nothing yet, because the car is new (to me) and under warranty until May 2010. I used it on my B5 S4 to help with DIY repairs, and several of my friends have VW/AUDI product so I can help with diagnosis, and at the very least to make sure mechanics aren't screwing them. It's also helpful for anyone looking to buy a VW/Audi....I can scan the car and see if there are any fault codes showing before purchase. Also, it works for any make/model through the OBD II port to check the cause of and/or turn off check engine lights.

It's mostly helpful if you like DIY repairs, have modifications, want to make small electrical system changes, verify problems, etc. If you don't care about that stuff, and your mechanic doesn't charge for the use of a diagnostic tool, it probably isn't that useful IMO.

It can do all sorts of real time data logging of turbo boost, or any other perameter pretty much, which is helpful for the tuner crowd and also problem diagnosis.

There's lots of support for it too, incase the fault code showing doesn't have an obvious cause/fix.

I only know how to use it to identify problems, but it can do a LOT more.

As an added bonus, it has a hilarious name. If you ever need the use of one I'd be happy to help you out.

syeve
11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks! Knock on wood, nothing has come up yet, but I will get in touch should anything arise. Thanks again!

Steve

scat19
11-05-2009, 03:01 PM
also - eurodrivers.ca

mainly vw/audi crowd, tones of guys there. :thumbsup: