PDA

View Full Version : Are there any decent gluten free restaurants around?

r0g3r
11-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Do you guys know of any gluten free restaurants in Calgary? Vegetarian friendly would also be a bonus.

I'm trying to look around but can't seem to find much. A friend of mine has celiac disease.

Grogador
11-03-2009, 11:33 PM
There's a place on 17th Ave SE in the hood that's really good but I can't remember the name of it. Will ask...

Jynx
11-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Edo Japan has some glutten free options. Refer to their website.

SScott
11-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Try The Coup on 17ave SW

Coup Inc The
www.thecoup.ca

924 17 Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2R
(403) 541-1041

ReflexFX
11-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Joeys tomato has a glutten free menu...

benyl
11-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Most Vietnamese food is gluten free, is it not?

Kritafo
11-04-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.calgaryceliac.com/#
Has a listing for Gluten Free restaurants for Calgary

A790
11-04-2009, 10:39 AM
http://www.jacquelinesuzannes.ca/our-menu/

you&me
11-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
There's a place on 17th Ave SE in the hood that's really good but I can't remember the name of it. Will ask...

That was "A Tasty Menu" and they closed over the summer. It was only good in that celiacs could feel completely comfortable eating there, but the food was terrible.

There is an EXCELLENT gluten-free bakery in Cochrane - http://www.gfpatisserie.com/

The best gluten free option in Calgary is the french place on 4th street (can't recall the name right now).

you&me
11-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I know a few celiacs and the main concern is getting a confirmation from staff at Vietnamese places that the food is indeed gluten-free. Do you know of any places that are confirmed/trusted to be gluten free?

BeeGirl
11-05-2009, 10:30 PM
The problem with viet places is that I find they often don't really understand what you mean. There is gluten in some soya sauces as well, so watch out for that.... it's used on a lot of the meats in the rice noodle bowls.

Chianti's has a few gluten free menu options too - but that often only applies to the pasta itself, careful with the sauces.

To be honest - I don't find any "gluten free" place that good, it sucks, but it's part of the struggle I find. The best meals I have are at home.

Most major chain places will tell what is gluten free on the menu - they don't want to risk the person getting sick, just make it clear it's for an allergy.

The GF bakery in Cochrane is worth the drive for sure. Planet Organic has a great GF section, and actually, so does Superstore.

Good luck!

clem24
11-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by BeeGirl
There is gluten in some soya sauces as well, so watch out for that.... it's used on a lot of the meats in the rice noodle bowls.

*ALL* soy sauce has gluten unless it specifically says so. And the gluten free variety is VERY expensive. And hence that's the problem with many places that offer so called "gluten free". It's essentially a gamble because even though the main ingredients might have no gluten, it's sometimes quite difficult to determine if everything they use is actually gluten free. And more often than not, most front line workers (i.e. waiters) have no clue...

r0g3r
11-09-2009, 05:47 PM
thanks for your help everyone :-)

sputnik
11-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by benyl

So are most "meat and potatoes" dishes.

Eating gluten free doesn't require special restaurants. I know a few people that are celiac and get by just fine at most restaurants.

BeeGirl
11-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by clem24

*ALL* soy sauce has gluten unless it specifically says so. And the gluten free variety is VERY expensive. And hence that's the problem with many places that offer so called "gluten free". It's essentially a gamble because even though the main ingredients might have no gluten, it's sometimes quite difficult to determine if everything they use is actually gluten free. And more often than not, most front line workers (i.e. waiters) have no clue...

The gluten free stuff isn't that expensive, at least not at Superstore, I have never had a problem with the price of it. Honestly - most Gluten free stuff is costly, that's why I save my receipts and use them at tax time.

clem24
11-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by BeeGirl

The gluten free stuff isn't that expensive, at least not at Superstore, I have never had a problem with the price of it. Honestly - most Gluten free stuff is costly, that's why I save my receipts and use them at tax time.

Um compared to what regular soy sauce costs.. Yeah that stuff is freakin' expensive!!! And doesn't taste as good either.

frozenrice
11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
There's a coffee shop/cafe around 37th St and 27th Ave SW that advertises a gluten free menu.