PDA

View Full Version : Where to find floor outlets?

thetransporter
11-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Where can I find floor outlets, either the ones in shopping malls or home offices, one for power one for telecom. Home depot, no. Google searches, limited. Save-on electric. no.

Thank you.

Tik-Tok
11-04-2009, 10:44 AM
A floor outlet, is the same as a wall one, except with a different faceplate (to protect it from dirt).

They are illegal in houses FYI.

thetransporter
11-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
A floor outlet, is the same as a wall one, except with a different faceplate (to protect it from dirt).

thanks

Strider
11-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Interesting... I have two in my newly built house. :confused:

Oz-
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I know of a few people that have in floor outlets. All of them recent builds. Was the code updated recently?

Tik-Tok
11-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Oz-
I know of a few people that have in floor outlets. All of them recent builds. Was the code updated recently?

Well, I'm not 100% sure on that, but I swear when I was building my basement, and had a copy of the codes, it said you weren't allowed... maybe that was just for kitchen countertops? :dunno:

frozenrice
11-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Try Eecol Electric. They supply a lot of electrical companies so they'll likely be able to help you out. There's a few different locations around town.

black_shadow_18
11-04-2009, 05:46 PM
eecol can get them, so can electrical wholesalers. And they are NOT illegal, in a basement they would be illegal, above grade floors they are fine with the appropriate cover of course.

That code you were refering to about the kitchen is correct, you cannot have upward facing receptacles in the kitchen work surfaces.

Davetronz
11-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah, these have to be installed above grade with a proper cover and then they're ok with the code. So no basements or garage's... Kitchens and bathrooms are the exception for above grade installation AFAIK.