PDA

View Full Version : Engineering: Canadian Electrical Code

JordanEG6
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm revising and de-doing electrical standards for the company I work for. I have a few questions regarding the CEC. I have 2002 and don't have the latest one (I don't want to buy it lol) and I don't know if the rules/standards have changed since.

If anyone (Design leads, engineers, electricians, field workers etc.) can answer these questions that'd be great.

Area Class
- Have the distances changed regarding Class 1, Zone II Hazardous Locations?
- Do flare stacks contain Zone 0 at the top of the stack?

Grounding
- Do groundwells still require galvanized steel ground rods or copper ones?

I guess that's it for now. Haha.

bjstare
11-04-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't have the CEC in front of me, but are you positive that there's been a newer rev? When I was doing work with this on co-op last year, I believe the 2002 was the latest rev.

Also, if this is for work, shouldn't your company be buying it?:dunno:

JordanEG6
11-04-2009, 01:29 PM
There is a current Rev. The latest I know of is 2006. I believe there is a 2009 or a 2010 out or coming out, but I'm not sure. No one in our office has the current version of the CEC. We all have 2002 as far as I know.

HuMz
11-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Distances located in Class I Zone II are summed up as:
Conduit that enters a explosion or flame proof enclosure can't be farther then 450mm.

Rigid unbroken conduit that passes through a Class I zone 2 location with no less then 300mm beyond each boundry need not be sealed.

Conduit leaves a class I zone 2 location outdoors, seal may be located more then 300mm beyond Class I, Zone 2 boundary provided that it is located on the condiut prior to entering an enclosure or buidling.

Cable seals shall be provided in a cable system where:
Cable leaves the Zone 2 area and is less then 10 m in length.

Those are the only distances I could find for class 1 zone 2 summed up in my own words.....way too lazy to type out the full definitions lol.

Can't seem to find anything on Flare stacks, what was the rule number in the 2002 edition?

And after reading the Grounding electrodes section it doesn't mention groundwells, but it does say groundrods must consist of manurfactored, field assembled, and in-situ ground rod.

Nowhere does it say the chemical makeup of any of those types, but I used galvanized rods back in June for a service and it passed. And I know copper is still allowed for sure.

HuMz
11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
I don't have the CEC in front of me, but are you positive that there's been a newer rev? When I was doing work with this on co-op last year, I believe the 2002 was the latest rev.

2002, 2005or 6, and now the new 2009 is out.

JordanEG6
11-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by HuMz

Can't seem to find anything on Flare stacks, what was the rule number in the 2002 edition?

And after reading the Grounding electrodes section it doesn't mention groundwells, but it does say groundrods must consist of manurfactored, field assembled, and in-situ ground rod.

Nowhere does it say the chemical makeup of any of those types, but I used galvanized rods back in June for a service and it passed. And I know copper is still allowed for sure.

Yeah I know they've used copper, but I just want to know what companies are typically using nowadays so I can stick it in a book of Elec. Standards for company use.

Also, regarding flare stacks, it's classified as if it were just a vent. Which typically would require Zone 0 with a .05m radius. But since flare stacks normally stand so high and nothing is being installed near the top nor anyone having to go near it, they shouldn't need Zone 0 Classification. I'm just wondering if the new editions state otherwise.

bjstare
11-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
There is a current Rev. The latest I know of is 2006. I believe there is a 2009 or a 2010 out or coming out, but I'm not sure. No one in our office has the current version of the CEC. We all have 2002 as far as I know.

Originally posted by HuMz

2002, 2005or 6, and now the new 2009 is out.

Yep, just looked at a copy of the technical report I wrote, definitely used the 2006 rev.
Sorry, my brain is full of transistor theory and AM/FM transmission right now :barf: :barf:

dj_honda
11-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

:werd:
No offense but how are you creating company standards without the proper copy of the current standards used in Canada?

JordanEG6
11-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by dj_honda

No offense but how are you creating company standards without the proper copy of the current standards used in Canada?

None taken. Haha.
I have no idea why we don't have the latest issue of the CEC. Most changes that need to be done are easy to identify anyway and most don't need to be updated, just redrawn to look a little better. I'm just a little iffy at some of these standards as they may have changed in the past couple years.

BlackArcher101
11-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

God damn cheap companies who think they aren't worth it. My last place was like that... and they wondered why they couldn't compete at a professional level with the big boys.

If anything... and I mean anything is designed and marketed to a major standard/specification, the company should have the current revision of that document and probably be controlled too.

bignerd
11-06-2009, 10:41 PM
if you are installing anything near a flare stack i am pretty sure it is going to be a zone 0, 18-006 of the CEC and appendix B "states that any area immediatley around a atmospheric vents that are venting from a zone 0 hazardous area" I would think that a flare stack is venting IMO and would deem it a zone 0.

I have a book here somewhere on area classification and distances let me find it and will post more when I figure it out.