PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1

lint
11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
I know there are a few guys on this. Just wanted to start a discussion on personal experience, what worked, what didn't, what accessory exercises etc.

I did my first cycle at the beginning of summer, was pretty lazy about it and skipped accessory work for the most part. Made gains, but not to the level that I would have liked. Then got busy with kid #2 and didn't have time to pick things up until last month where I started my second cycle. In between I still lifted, but not as regimented. I decided to stick with the scheduled increase even with the lag, but I also made sure that I was doing accessory work this time. Boring but big fit the bill. Cycle 2 felt better week to week. The accessory work did the trick. I started off quite conservatively, dropping the weights down to around 60% and stayed in the 10-12 rep range and 5 sets. I also followed the program lead where I would aim for max reps on my last set. Just started cycle #3 and I'm going to keep with BBB, and throw in HIIT (bear complex, kb swings etc).

I've learned that 5/3/1 is great because it's so flexible, but bad because it's so flexible. In order to see the gains, I need to be more disciplined and HAVE to do the accessory work. Looking forward to milking this for the foreseeable future. Once I hit a BW press, I'll re-evaluate.

Anyone care to share their insights?

Oz-
11-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I have been doing this now for about 10 cycles or so. Primarily the Triumvate one. Initially, I was on the 4 day per week cycle, but felt that after fantastic gains my CNS was just not recovering quickly enough to move to the next day. So I went to a 3 x per week schedule with the deload hitting every 5th week now.

The moneymaker lifts were helped quite a bit by my accessory lifts, however I sometimes have to reduce the sets/work (ie: 3-4 x 6-8). Recently, I moved my accessory lifts for Deadlift day from Good Mornings & Abs to Pullthroughs & Abs. This has helped me a bit more with my off the floor strength.

There are some days that I do the boring but big template, if I feel that my form may be off a bit and want to work on the form with a lighter weight. Constant accessory lifts in my program are Dips and Kroc Rows. Both have great crossover for me with every lift for me...especially Kroc Rows for my bench and deadlift.

Having 2 kids myself, I love the fact that I can move the program around to what I need that day and rarely go over my 45 minutes. My strength has increased quite a bit in all lifts, from when I started but I also haven't tested my 1RM in quite some time. Planning on that sometime in December.

Note - Don't know if you have or not Lint, but for everyone else. Buy the book if you plan on doing this program. Do not butcher it by compiling bits of information from various other forums/sources. $20 for easy straight forward book from Jim Wendler, likely a better purchase than that SuperPump 250 shit that some get monthly.

TurboD
11-04-2009, 09:35 PM
nm

liquidboi69
11-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't find that the 5/3/1 program has enough volume, which is why in my opinion, you should never skip out on the accessory work. I would also never skip accessory for programs like WestSide variants as well.

I read what works best for people who are still growing are higher volume programs like Sheiko. While people with enough muscle, that want to just work on their neural efficiency have better results with 5/3/1 or WestSide variants (depends on how advanced you are I guess.)

I'm currently on a modified periodized Sheiko program (where only one lift is worked/day with various accessory exercises), and finish off with complexes.

I have tried 5/3/1 and WestSide's Conjugate Method, and noticed that work capacity and GPP was not improved in these programs vs a program with higher volume. I also noticed I got alot bigger, had more practice/more consistent technique with higher volume programs.

It's weird that WestSide, and low volume high intensity variants like 5/3/1 was interpreted to be what we all know of them today, however Eastern European powerlifters and oly lifters all use a more volume orientated program. I'm wondering if Louie misinterpreted or mistranslated...

Anyway sorry for that huge tangent; are you finding programs like 5/3/1 work better than the typical periodization block programs, or higher volume programs? You are probably more advanced than me, so I'm assuming that you don't really need to put on size...which may be why 5/3/1 is working well with you guys (and not for me :()

Or maybe I'm just a newb that needed more technique practice that volume programs provided.

lint
11-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Oz- I do indeed have Wendler's manual and find it an excellent read. Well laid out and easy to understand.

liquidboi- I can't speak for everyone, but getting back into things this year, I made very good progress on a linear progression before stalling out twice on squats at the same poundage. Time was a big factor in choosing 5/3/1 over other intermediate programs (texas method, madcow's 5x5). I just don't have time, or desire frankly, to spend 2 hrs in the gym. Past experience training also told me that I tend to respond well to medium volume. I'd say that's why my first cycle wasn't as successful as it could have been. Simply too low a training volume to elicit adaptation. For myself, I think that the accessory work I incorporated into the second cycle not only brought my volume up, but working within that rep range also helped with hypertrophy. I believe that I had reached a point were progress would be very slow unless I added some size as well. Experimentally, that seems to be the case.

In short, I would say that 5/3/1 isn't a low volume high intensity program if done properly. Accessory work should not be looked at as optional. They really need to be done to make the most out of the program.

Oz-
11-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I ran a Westside variant for a bit more then 1 year. My body was exhausted and I didn't like the amount of time that I was spending in the gym. Westside allowed me to increase my strength significantly, while gaining muscle and losing fat.

However, my goals changed just around Christmas time last year. My strength is still going up and will likely be close to a 5 1/2 to 6 wheel pull when I retest this Christmas. With the Triumvate template, the accessory work I only leave 60-90 seconds rest time as well.

Out of curiosity I was thinking of running a Sheiko program for 8-12 weeks, just to see how my body responds. The volume is ridiculous compared to what I am used to.

lint
11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by TurboD
nm

awww, and I was really looking forward to your pearls of wisdom

lint
11-04-2009, 10:08 PM
is Sheiko similar to Smolov?

Oz-
11-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by lint
is Sheiko similar to Smolov? I am not familiar with Smolov, but here is a link for some templates that were translated from Russian. This program is likely great for liquidboi69, as he competes in IPF (or raw) and a lot of the Russians that are trained by Sheiko do fantastic in this fed.

http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/

Another site

http://www.joeskopec.com/programs.html

The underlying principle in Sheiko (someone please correct me if I am wrong) is frequency and volume at relativley low intensities driving progression. Sheiko believes that you can perform a lift many times a week, thus getting better at the actual movement (ie; neural recruitment). However, you have to keep the intensity low in order to be able to recover from so many reps a week.

liquidboi69
11-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Ya mine is modified a lot though. I basically don't bother doing the 50-65% sets that they list, and just do a normal 5x5 followed by a 3x3 (or 3x5, followed by 3x3, or 3x5 followed by doubles, changing every few weeks.).

Then a core exercise variant (bench press variant would be close grip) for higher volume. Also I only do one core exercise/workout instead of 2-3 that they list.

Volume is around the default sheiko.

Another thing to note, their programs over there are listed as REPS x SETS. Not SETS x REPS.

So for example, here's a day's worth of squats in Sheiko:
50% 5rep x 1set, 60% 4rep x 1set, 70% 3rep x 2set, 70% 5rep x 5set, 80% 3rep x 5set

I can only ASSUME, that the 50% 60% sets are for warmup, as they only do 1 set. Or do they do it for speed? I may not understand the program properly, but I interpreted it as just warmup sets. So if you want, you can just skip 50-60% sets and do whatever warmup you want. So basically I would just do something like warmup, then 70% 5x5, 80% 5x3 (using the north american set x rep convention.)

That is how my lifting partners modified basically from what I can see at least. Taking the heavy sets of the sheiko day's squats, throwing in another exercise related to the squat, and then doing a bunch of accessories in a circuit.

kutt3r
11-04-2009, 11:23 PM
I ran 5/3/1 for the last year as I took a long break from any serious training.
Sq= 225 to 450ish
DL= 300 to 425ish
MP= 85 to 155ish
BP= 125 to 225ish 275 with a loose shirt

I tried two cycles of Boring but big and it floored me, I am not and cannot imagine I will ever be a volume guy. It certainly helped me get back the weights I had been training at previously.

Sheiko and Westside should not be classed with 5/3/1. 5/3/1 is a basic plan that will make you stronger and will not work as well as a specific PLing routine nor was it intended to.

I personally loved 5/3/1's simplicity you have to be stupid to screw it up. I see DeFranco is cooking up something for older guys wanting to get back into it... should be interesting.

TurboD
11-05-2009, 12:56 AM
I was going to ask what 5/3/1 was, cause I typed it into google and i got nothing, but It was just my own search fail, cause I wasn't using quotations.

I was just not clear whether it was a drug or a workout plan or what.

Now I know, now that I've figured out the basic tools of the internet and how to manipulate them.:thumbsup:

Oz-
11-05-2009, 11:00 AM
FYI for everyone

EliteFTS has an e-book sale going on for those interested in the 5/3/1 system.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976

Darkane
11-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Thinking of jumping in and doing a 5/3/1 cycle.

Gonna apply a lot of Thibuadeau's protocols on CNS activation and the "perfect rep".

Once I, BODYBUILDER comes out jump on that.

Excited I am :poosie:

Darkane
11-07-2009, 08:50 PM
EliteFTS isn't working right now? I can't seem to purchase the book

max_boost
11-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I can send you the book for free if you send me a PM with your e-mail. Now this applies to the regulars only.

I've been slacking so bad with my lifting. Been partying too much, can't seem to stay committed to any type of routine. I've been following it on and off and still on the 1st cycle.

I have told myself to stay focus and plan to stick to it.

Darkane
11-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I can send you the book for free if you send me a PM with your e-mail. Now this applies to the regulars only.

I've been slacking so bad with my lifting. Been partying too much, can't seem to stay committed to any type of routine. I've been following it on and off and still on the 1st cycle.

I have told myself to stay focus and plan to stick to it.

Ah, thanks man.

No worries I managed to get the checkout to work. Damn good 20 bucks spent for sure.

Gonna re-check all my maxes this week starting tuesday and I'm gonna make a 5/3/1 log with all lifts for my progress.

:thumbsup:

lint
11-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I created an excel template for tracking/calculating training weights if anyone is interested. Calculates estimated 1rm based on 5rm, then training max (I used 85%). My formula also rounds to the nearest 1/2lb since I have fractional plates. Just need to plug in your training max for each lift and it spits out a 4 week cycle of reps and weights.

Oz-
11-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Here is one that is also premade...utilizes the MROUND function instead of the CEILING. Which is good if you don't have fractional plates, as CEILING auto rounds up to the nearest 5lbs if you are over by .1.

Click here (http://www.apexlogik.net/IronAddict/Hatters%20531%20(v1.2).xls)

lint
11-09-2009, 12:35 PM
damn, that spreadsheet is way prettier than mine

Darkane
11-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Oz-
Here is one that is also premade...utilizes the MROUND function instead of the CEILING. Which is good if you don't have fractional plates, as CEILING auto rounds up to the nearest 5lbs if you are over by .1.

Click here (http://www.apexlogik.net/IronAddict/Hatters%20531%20(v1.2).xls)

FANTASTIC!

Thanks Oz, time to go do some maxes. Out.

Oz-
11-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Just some an email reply by Jim on Elite FTS on how to measure progress on this program.

Hi Jim,

I really like the 5/3/1 program (hope I did it right ^^)but I am a little confused about Rep Records, how to measure progress and progress in general.

So I understand I do an all out last set every training day. Then I use the formula you gave in your book to predict my 1RM and compare different days.

So my question is should I try to beat my predicted maxes every time (as a main goal) and ist it bad if I can't do that?

What days should I compare (wk1 5x day/wk1 3x day; or wk1 5x day / wk 5 5xday)?

...or should I just measure progress over time by doing cycle after cycle and increasing weight?

Damn, I hope you can at least guess what I mean but I have some trouble to make my problems understandable.
Somehow I feel I am too caught up with the comparing of predicted maxes...

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,

You measure progress by:

1. Making it through another cycle and keep moving forward.

2. Comparing records via the Rep Max Formula.

3. Simply doing more weight for X reps...OR doing more reps and X weight.

As mentioned in the book, you won't break records all the time.

Thanks,
Jim Wendler

Darkane
12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Any of you guys posting logs anywhere?

lint
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I just keep my own spreadsheet at home.

Oz-
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Any of you guys posting logs anywhere?

I was using RPF for quite some time and then moved to IA. But not very consistently. I always keep my logs in a binder and then update it with the weights on my spreadsheet.

Darkane
12-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Oz-

I was using RPF for quite some time and then moved to IA. But not very consistently. I always keep my logs in a binder and then update it with the weights on my spreadsheet.

Yeah. I keep the hand written log, the spreadsheet and now a Beyond and Tmuscle log. My log is whored out.

urban.one
12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
nm

lint
12-30-2009, 01:59 PM
1. wrong thread to be asking for a freebie
2. why and where to buy the ebook are in the first page of this thread

kutt3r
01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Oz-

LOL tell me about it... :)

Oz-
01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Testimonial about weight loss and maintaining strength on 5/3/1.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/weight_loss_strength.htm

Weight Loss and Strength: A 10-Week Experiment with Shelby Starnes and 5/3/1
By Will Irby

For www.EliteFTS.com

For years, I’ve been told that you can’t expect to lose weight without losing a ton of strength. Over and over that idea was pounded into my head. Yes, losing significant amounts of body weight can impact strength, but that doesn’t mean just because you decide to drop a few pounds, you’ll shrivel up and become the weakest guy in the gym.

For the last five years, I’ve done nothing but train with the goal of getting as big and as strong as possible. I’m six feet three inches, and I ate my way from 220 lbs to 285 lbs. I had been training for many years before this, but much of that training, while strength related, was focused more on passing military PT tests than it was on building strength and size (my maximum body weight when I was in the Navy was 215 lbs). Over the last five years, I had put on a good amount of size and strength. However, not all of the size was “good size.”

In February 2009, I had some blood work done and the results weren’t ideal. The doctor told me to clean up my diet and drop some weight. With state and national powerlifting meets coming up, that went in one ear and out the other. I put up totals at both meets and tried to go right back into training, but I just hit a brick wall as far as motivation and results. I was beat down. I went through the motions for a while but finally decided I needed a change.

In September 2009, my wife and I welcomed our daughter into the world. I no longer had the desire to go through 2–3-hour training sessions trying to get my squat or bench up. So I enlisted the help of Shelby Starnes (http://www.troponinnutrition.com/shelby.htm) to help me whip my body into shape. The goal was (and still is) to get as lean as possible and maintain my strength levels as much as possible. I had also been put on cholesterol medication that I wanted to stop taking.

I started working with Shelby on October 9, 2009. I was set up for a 12-week progressive fat loss plan. The diet started with a basic carb rotation and cardio plan. As the weeks progressed, Shelby adjusted the diet and cardio as needed. (Currently, I’m at 70 minutes of cardio a day seven days a week.)

At the beginning of the diet, I decided to run a little experiment to measure how my strength levels would be impacted by weight loss. I had used Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program in the past for raw work and decided to use it as my training template. It’s straightforward and easy to follow, and there have been no shortage of success stories surrounding the program.

I keep a pretty thorough training log, so I track my numbers very regularly. The 5/3/1 training actually started one week before I began the diet, and the starting numbers below were all done in the 2–3 weeks leading up to starting the diet. Over the course of 10 weeks, I lost 30 lbs, going from approximately 275 lbs down to 245 lbs. I used the basic accessory work outlined in the book and kept my training maxes exactly the same for the entire three cycles that I ran. I did add in rest-pause work after the main lift to get a bit more work in because my rep out sets started to suffer just a bit toward the end.

I did a lot of superset work and drop sets. My goal for training was to always get done lifting in under an hour, so I kept my rest periods short and kept moving. Basically, if you want to know everything I did, buy the 5/3/1 book written by the world famous Jim Wendler. It’s worth every penny (and it’s not even that many pennies).

The starting lifts are numbers that were actually completed in the gym. They aren’t perceived maxes or numbers bumped up because of how easy a lighter lift may have been. They aren’t calculated maxes. These lifts were done prior to starting.

Here’s how the numbers were impacted:

Starting lifts

Squat: 500 lbs (To be fair, this wasn’t a “max effort.” However, it was the heaviest raw squat I attempted.)

Bench: 425 lbs

Deadlift: 525 lbs (same scenario as the squat)

Military: 215 lbs

Ending 30 lbs lighter

Squat: 500 lbs (This was much harder but I got it. I also hit 430 X 7 three weeks ago, which was an all-time PR regardless of body weight.)

Bench: 385 lbs (I was fully expecting the drop in my bench.)

Deadlift: 550 lbs (This is an all-time raw PR, regardless of body weight.)

Military: 225 lbs

So if we calculate a make shift “total” of these lifts, my starting number at 275 lbs in body weight is 1665 lbs for all four lifts. My ending number at 30 lbs lighter is 1660 lbs for all four lifts. That equates to a total difference of 0.3 percent. By my calculation, a drop in body weight of 30 lbs plus a drop in total weight lifted of 0.3 percent means that I maintained my strength levels overall. In fact, I would argue that I got stronger through the whole process.

Another benefit that came about through this process of working with Shelby was the improvement in my blood work. My cholesterol and triglyceride levels had gotten a bit high (nature was working against me because my father has notoriously high cholesterol and triglyceride levels). As I mentioned above, my doctor saw fit to place me on some medication for this problem. I stopped taking that medication about three weeks before my “ending” labs were drawn, so the results were from the combination of diet and cardio. There is no other plausible explanation for it.

Here’s how my blood work played out:

Starting numbers (labs taken about a month before I began working with Shelby)

Cholesterol: 210

Triglycerides: 280

Labs just taken after nine weeks working with Shelby

Cholesterol: 146

Triglycerides: 136

My cholesterol dropped 64 points, and my triglycerides dropped 144 points. That’s a huge improvement, and this was actually one of my big goals for this diet cycle.

So as it stands now, I’m no longer under the impression that you have to gain copious amounts of body weight to get strong. Yes, gaining body weight may allow you to add pounds to your total more quickly, but at what cost? Life outside of the gym had gotten pretty miserable. I could throw on all types of gear and have great training sessions but walking across the parking lot at work left me winded and in need of a long nap.

The improved quality of life has been worth the effort in and of itself. The physique changes are an added benefit. I’m not done with my physique goals though. My first round with Shelby ends in two weeks, but I’ve already signed up to continue working with him for another 12 weeks so that I can achieve my physique goals. As all of us usually are, I was a bit fatter than I thought I was starting out. This is easy to do because it isn’t hard to look in the mirror and justify what you see. But take your shirt off and snap a few pictures and look at yourself objectively, and you will probably find that you have a bit more work to do than you originally thought. I still have a ways to go to get to where I want to be, but I’m on my way and I don’t plan to stop until I get there.

As Jim Wendler would say, get “north of vag” and stay there. Seriously, anybody can do this.

Will Irby is a normal guy with a normal job and a normal life who enjoys lifting weights. He is not employed in the “fitness” industry and does not train clients. He has totaled 1830 lbs in the 275-lb weight class, which in the big picture isn’t very impressive, but he is pleased with his progress. He has a wife and three month old at home and a great job where people think he is weird for doing anything athletic in his spare time. He is busy, just like you, but he doesn’t make excuses as to why he can’t. He just figures out how he can.

Elite Fitness Systems strives to be a recognized leader in the strength training industry by providing the highest quality strength training products and services while providing the highest level of customer service in the industry. For the best training equipment, information, and accessories, visit us at www.EliteFTS.com.

b_t
03-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Just bumpin this up to say 5/3/1 works. Doing the Triumvirate plan and have seen some pretty good gains after just two cycles.. and I've been workin out steady for almost two years now, been plateaued for a long ass time too. Haven't gained any weight but I am seeing increases in size anyways

max_boost
03-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah I love 5/3/1. Doing boring but big and easily broke through my stalls on both the press and bench. Gave me a huge confidence boost. No comment on squat or deads because I haven't been doing it. I know I know I KNOW. LOL!

Oz-
03-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Yeah I love 5/3/1. Doing boring but big and easily broke through my stalls on both the press and bench. Gave me a huge confidence boost. No comment on squat or deads because I haven't been doing it. I know I know I KNOW. LOL!

Ricky Bobby...no offense...

...but move north of vag and stop avoiding the squat and deadlift days.

The strength that would carryover to your pressing and benching days would put you on some impressive numbers for your weight.

b_t
03-16-2010, 08:57 AM
I was goin to say, if you skip squats and deadlifts you are missing the two most important days of the plan

Oz-
06-30-2010, 07:56 AM
52 most common 5/3/1 questions

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/52-most-common-531-questions/

navdeep
06-30-2010, 08:15 AM
any idea where i can find Jim Wendler 5 3 1 book

lint
06-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by navdeep
any idea where i can find Jim Wendler 5 3 1 book

Originally posted by lint
1. wrong thread to be asking for a freebie
2. why and where to buy the ebook are in the first page of this thread

gqmw
07-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey max, do you still happen to have the 5/3/1 ebook? I'm thinking about starting.

max_boost
07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Don't be a cheap ass, pay the $20 and support the JW. (I actually lost my file when my computer crashed)

This book is amazing.

I'm at 135X5 bench where I previously stalled at 115X5
I'm at 105X5 press where I previously stalled at 85X5

Ya know and I feel like I keep getting stronger too! :poosie:

max_boost
07-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey Matt, when you say you want to start. Do you know how to do the big 4 (squat/press/bench/deads) lifts yet? :D

nagooro
09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Gonna be starting 5/3/1 within the next week.
Found this excel file for those of you who are interested..

http://n3.nabble.com/file/n34024/8615840-Jim-Wendler-531-Logbook-Calculator.xls

nagooro
09-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Just started 5/3/1 today and been going through the e-book.
On page 89, it has a template for a weeks workout.

On the bottom it says rep records, and has 3 blank spaces. Is the rep record just how many reps you can push out on your last set?

For example, today I started with the military press.
65% @ 5 reps
75% @ 5 reps
85% @ 5 or more reps

Would the bolded part above be my rep record?
Kinda confused as to why there are 3 blank spaces, if anyone could clarify this for me.

max_boost
09-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Yep. Try to push out as many reps as you can. I'm lazy though so I only do 5 reps for the last set (even if I can do more I'll still only do 5 :rofl:)

How do you feel after the workout?

nagooro
09-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Felt like I put in a good workout. Usually if I get sore it kicks in the morning after, I can already feel my upperback from todays workout.
Previously I was doing stronglifts 5x5.
Doing the triumvirate for assistance exercises.

So today was:
1. work set of MP
2. dips (5 sets/10 reps)
3. chinups/pullups (5 sets-10 reps)

Was struggling on the chinups/pullups so had to do less reps and more sets.

maxboost- have you tried triumvirate yet? I know last time I sent you a PM and you were doing boring but big.

max_boost
09-25-2010, 08:45 PM
I only do boring but big.

I looked at the triumvirate exercises and I said, fuck that shit. :rofl:

I have to say though, 5 sets of 10 reps of squat and deads fucking kills me. LOL I am wrecked. :rofl: :cry:

nagooro
09-25-2010, 10:36 PM
I only do boring but big.

I looked at the triumvirate exercises and I said, fuck that shit. :rofl:

I have to say though, 5 sets of 10 reps of squat and deads fucking kills me. LOL I am wrecked. :rofl: :cry:
Kinda curious to see what my gains would be like from the boring but big template...maybe ill look into it.

max_boost
09-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Intermediate program, slow and steady. I know it gets tempting to add on the weight but the way I look at, 10lbs to squat/deads and 5lbs to bench/press each month adds up to 120lbs and 60lbs in one year.

So if I can squat/deads 300lbs, bench 175lbs, and press 145lbs in one year. I'm going to shit myself in my 150lb body. :rofl:

nagooro
09-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah, in the long run it works out to be a good amount of gains.
I am keeping a log sheet so I will post up my progress in ~2 months after my 2nd cycle.

When you add the 5/10lbs after a cycle, do you add it to your 1RM or 0.9x1RM?

max_boost
09-27-2010, 04:21 PM
I add the 5/10lbs to my 1RM.

lint
11-02-2010, 08:39 PM
fresh off the presses, 5/3/1 updates from Mr Wendler
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/531_reloaded

CCM Pro
11-02-2010, 08:59 PM
I just started this today...I have been doing a lot of cross fit conditioning and bootcamp style workouts and thought I would commit to this for some time to try to gain basic strength so I can do more conditioning workouts later with heavier weights etc...

I am looking forward to this!

max_boost
11-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Jim is a monster. I don't know if it's my new Schiek belt or I just had a shitty day today (all the anger lol) but my 1 rep max is 210 and I ripped off a 185X10 deadlift! Holy fuck. Hahaha

sabad66
11-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Been doing the SL 5x5 for a couple of months now... Good results so far but it's starting to get a bit boring lol. Thinking of trying out this 5/3/1 that everyone is talking about. There's a rapidshare link to the pdf on this forum in case anyone is interested: http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com/forums/f368/5-3-1-program-59778/

Anyways, starting numbers as of last workout:

Weight: 160 - 168 lb (morning vs evening)

Squat: 240 (5x5)
Dead: 235 (1x5)
Bench: 175 (5x5)
Overhead Press: 115 (5x5)

I'm a little disappointed with my bench numbers.. could be my form, or it could be the fact that I don't like to put on too much weight since I usually WO alone without a spotter. Anyways, going to read through the PDF and give it a shot... will report back in a month or so!

colt22
01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
try this for hypertrophy:

8 / 6 / 6 / 4 / 4 HALF DECEL

- for half the reps, do a decels (pause at bottom for 3 seconds)
thats what we do in our program, this is me doing the last set of 2, so as yo ucan see pause at the bottom for 3 for the first 2

http://v4.cache3.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?signature=54EAF816591E73E5A18FFB417551BE13304D9B16.32D955628906CCB6BB911CC265526F01B4365CDF&sparams=id,itag,uaopt,ip,ipbits,expire&expire=1297882939&ipbits=0&ip=0.0.0.0&uaopt=no-save&itag=18&id=679b1ab14e65a8b9&key=yta1&el=videos&devkey=AX8iKz393pCCMUL6wqrPOZoO88HsQjpE1a8d1GxQnGDm&app=youtube_gdata&redirect_counter=2

codo
02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Just started this workout. So far I have to say, I am feeling sore! Holy shit, 3 sets of working squats then 5 sets of ten, boring but big is killer. I only managed to do 3 sets at the end instead of 5. 1X10, 1X9, 1x8. Then I chose not to do anymore. Do you guys do all five sets? For bench press I did, but this seems ridiculous. Would doing only 3 be okay?

Mibz
02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure about BBB but for the main lifts if you can't do all the sets then you need to lower the weight. I never read in to BBB so maybe it's a "Just do what you can" thing. That said, on my first days I wouldn't worry too much about it. Use the first week or two to figure out what you can lift and adjust your numbers accordingly.

max_boost
02-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by codo
Just started this workout. So far I have to say, I am feeling sore! Holy shit, 3 sets of working squats then 5 sets of ten, boring but big is killer. I only managed to do 3 sets at the end instead of 5. 1X10, 1X9, 1x8. Then I chose not to do anymore. Do you guys do all five sets? For bench press I did, but this seems ridiculous. Would doing only 3 be okay?

No pain no gain!

On a serious note, yes you are going to feel it with 5X10. You are going to be sore for a few days haha

Doing 3 sets is fine and you'll feel less sore but if you can, man up and do 5 sets haha

Just curious you are doing your assistance at what weight? 65%?

I went through 9 cycles on the press, and 10 cycles on the bench before stalling hard.

Squat and deadlift I got through 6 cycles before this cold/infection/flu thing has sidelined me for the past month.

codo
02-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Yesterday, I made it through the deadlifts 5X10. It was absolutely a killer, but felt good at the end. I guess If I'm capable of doing it, I may as well put in the extra effort. Oh, and hanging leg raises kill the abs!

My BBB workloads are as follows: Bench at 60%, Squats at 55%, Deadlifts at 55%, and Military press at 50%. This was the template I printed off. Not sure if it is correct, I do not have the book.

403ep3
04-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm going to be starting this soon! Is everyone still on this? I'm probably going to try it out for a full year and see how I do. Excel will be my best friend

Tej.S
04-14-2013, 08:46 PM
This program is awesome. I tweaked it for my own needs and combined it with my bodybuilding routine and I'm the strongest/leanest I've ever been. I only wrote my progress/stats for the first cycle and kept it in my head after that, made ALL KINDS of gains :D I recommend this for any intermediate bodybuilder/weightlifter/whatever else.

CCM Pro
04-14-2013, 09:00 PM
I did it for a bit in 2010 (then had shoulder and groin surgery which sidelined me). I am in cycle 3 week 2 now and am seeing some gains in strength. I do some of the assistance lifts but generally do a crossfit WOD after in place of it...my goals are likely different than others so that is what works for me.

403ep3
04-14-2013, 09:13 PM
How have you found the gains and does it work? What kind of assistance workouts do you use? What are your goals and do you have an excel sheet that you use?

Tej.S
04-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
How have you found the gains and does it work? What kind of assistance workouts do you use? What are your goals and do you have an excel sheet that you use?

Are you asking this as a general question or were you specifically asking someone lol(don't want to assume anything).

max_boost
04-15-2013, 12:21 AM
This program is money and I'm starting it up again.

Haven't lifted in 9months gonna ease back into it. 531 works. It's time efficient and delivers strength and size gains. 5 sets of 10 assistance work will destroy you and is a must do.

max_boost
04-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Lol starting numbers

Weight:145lbs

1rm
Bench 135
Press 105
Deadlift/squat 205

Barely made it through bench today lol 125x3. Feel so useless haha

Assistance 95x10, 85x10, 75x10, 65x10

Gonna be in pain later. First lift sessions since last aug lol

bigbadboss101
04-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Yay. Look at Aaron, he is getting major gains, albeit on a different program.

You go bud!

403ep3
04-15-2013, 09:33 AM
You're a Beast Aaron (Max_Boost?)!

Question:

(this is what http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html says my RM is at)

Squat 287lb
Bench 242lb
OH Press 158lb
Deadlift 399lb

Let's say I took a span of one year..how much could I essentially add to my RM's? I know you go up 5/10lb every cycle but how much overall per year will you gain. I guess it depends on what weight you do and how many reps right?

I'm hoping for atleast:

Squat 320lb
Bench 280lb
OH Press 175lb
Deadlift 480lb

Doable?

bigbadboss101
04-15-2013, 09:36 AM
BTW there is an app for this. Search 5/3/1. It's 5/3/1 and starting strength.

BananaFob
04-15-2013, 09:49 AM

Question:

Squat 287lb
Bench 242lb
OH Press 158lb
Deadlift 399lb

Let's say I took a span of one year..how much could I essentially add to my RM's? I know you go up 5/10lb every cycle but how much overall per year will you gain. I guess it depends on what weight you do and how many reps right?

I'm hoping for atleast:

Squat 320lb
Bench 280lb
OH Press 175lb
Deadlift 480lb

Doable?

Lol. I'm Aaron.

148lbs, 5'7" I'm doing SL 5x5 though.

Bench: 225 x 5 (not sure on 1RM, never tried)
Squat: 235 x 5
Deadlift: Overcame the fear last week and did 335x1
OHP: 145 x 5

Just started SL about 3 weeks ago but regularly been lifting before that.

max_boost
04-15-2013, 09:56 AM

Question:

Squat 287lb
Bench 242lb
OH Press 158lb
Deadlift 399lb

I'm hoping for atleast:

Squat 320lb
Bench 280lb
OH Press 175lb
Deadlift 480lb

Doable?

Ya. 5lbs per month to the bench and press and 10lbs to squat and dead. So 60 and 120 to your 1rm. If you can stick to it. But man you guys are strong. So jelly hahaa

Tej.S
04-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Everyone starts somewhere max_boost

I am doing modified version of 5/3/1 for my cut and it's been about 5~ months now, and my numbers look like this(from when I started --> current):

Bench: 205 --> 255
Squat: 225 --> 335
OHP: 135 --> 185(choppy as f*ck lol)
Deadlift: 365 --> 425

Quite happy with my progress, but I still want to break through some barriers. About a month before I started dieting is when I actually cleaned up my form A LOT for these four lifts. I'm more of a bodybuilder, but I took tips from powerlifting, and after combining the two, I have never felt better. As a bodybuilder(I don't compete, just referring to my type of training), I actually don't see the need to go higher than where I'm at currently, but we'll see where I end up.. Maybe I'll make a thread for when I decide to bulk :D

403ep3
04-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
BTW there is an app for this. Search 5/3/1. It's 5/3/1 and starting strength.

Yeah I saw it and downloaded it..it's not that easy to use lol...or I'm dumb and slow

Originally posted by BananaFob

Lol. I'm Aaron.

148lbs, 5'7" I'm doing SL 5x5 though.

Bench: 225 x 5 (not sure on 1RM, never tried)
Squat: 235 x 5
Deadlift: Overcame the fear last week and did 335x1
OHP: 145 x 5

Just started SL about 3 weeks ago but regularly been lifting before that.

Haha oops my bad. Yeah it seems like you've been lifting for quite awhile because those are pretty good numbers for your size. Keep it up!

Ya. 5lbs per month to the bench and press and 10lbs to squat and dead. So 60 and 120 to your 1rm. If you can stick to it. But man you guys are strong. So jelly hahaa

Yeah that's what I though. You'll get up there as long as you don't end up quitting and becoming so dynamic and shit.

Originally posted by Tej.S
Everyone starts somewhere max_boost

I am doing modified version of 5/3/1 for my cut and it's been about 5~ months now, and my numbers look like this(from when I started --> current):

Bench: 205 --> 255
Squat: 225 --> 335
OHP: 135 --> 185(choppy as f*ck lol)
Deadlift: 365 --> 425

Quite happy with my progress, but I still want to break through some barriers. About a month before I started dieting is when I actually cleaned up my form A LOT for these four lifts. I'm more of a bodybuilder, but I took tips from powerlifting, and after combining the two, I have never felt better. As a bodybuilder(I don't compete, just referring to my type of training), I actually don't see the need to go higher than where I'm at currently, but we'll see where I end up.. Maybe I'll make a thread for when I decide to bulk :D

Wow @ your gains in 5 months. Hopefully I'm somewhere around there too in half a year. My weakest workout is probably my OHP..I started to loathe that workout once I got past a plate a side. I'm gonna catch up to you! I think I'm going more of a powerlifter route.. I wanna be strong. The kind of strong where you go in a gym filled with roiders and outlift a 300lb dude haha

BananaFob
04-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Yeah I saw it and downloaded it..it's not that easy to use lol...or I'm dumb and slow

Haha oops my bad. Yeah it seems like you've been lifting for quite awhile because those are pretty good numbers for your size. Keep it up!

Yeah that's what I though. You'll get up there as long as you don't end up quitting and becoming so dynamic and shit.

Wow @ your gains in 5 months. Hopefully I'm somewhere around there too in half a year. My weakest workout is probably my OHP..I started to loathe that workout once I got past a plate a side. I'm gonna catch up to you! I think I'm going more of a powerlifter route.. I wanna be strong. The kind of strong where you go in a gym filled with roiders and outlift a 300lb dude haha

OHP is friggin tough to progress on. There's no way I can do the 5lbs more per workout on that one as per SL lol.

Tej.S
04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Haha, I use to dread OHP, it was so f*cking hard to make gains. Genetically, I have pretty weak front delts, and my gains were stagnant for the longest time. I just started incorporating different exercises, using tools(strength/resistance bands), and I started gradually seeing strength gains. I don't know about you guys, but personally, it these exercises are much more of a mental challenge for me than physical lol. Usually when I try to break my PR for squats or bench, I'll fail the first or second time because I psych myself out :p Anyone else have this issue?

403ep3
04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
It is all about how you prepare for sure and sometimes physical.

I found a really good calculator for this workout. I'm doing so much research before I start.

Check it out: http://www.blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Enter the info and BAM!

1 Rep Max Summary
Just some info that might be interesting.

Real 1RM Wender's Training Max
Military Press 1 × 163.31 1 × 146.979
Bench Press 1 × 250.798 1 × 225.718
Squat 1 × 297.458 1 × 267.712
Deadlift 1 × 414.108 1 × 372.697

Warm-up
Foam Roll
30-50 rolls for IT band, hamstring and quadricep; lower and upper back; and piriformis.

Stretching
3-5 sets of 10 second stretches for hamstrings and lower back, hip flexors and quads, and shoulders and chest.

Jumping Rope
100 double leg, 50 left leg, 50 right leg, 100 alternating left and right, 50 high knees, 100 double leg.

Week 1
military press
5 × 60 [5,2.5]
5 × 75 [10,5]
3 × 90 [10,5,5,2.5]
5 × 100 [25,2.5]
5 × 115 [35]
5+ × 125 [35,5]
10 × 45 []
10 × 45 []
10 × 45 []
10 × 45 []
10 × 45 []
chin-ups
10 × 
10 × 
10 × 
10 × 
10 × 
deadlift
5 × 150 [45,5,2.5]
5 × 190 [45,25,2.5]
3 × 225 [45,45]
5 × 245 [45,45,10]
5 × 280 [45,45,25,2.5]
5+ × 320 [45,45,45,2.5]
10 × 115 [35]
10 × 115 [35]
10 × 115 [35]
10 × 115 [35]
10 × 115 [35]
hanging leg raise
15 × 
15 × 
15 × 
15 × 
15 × 
bench press
5 × 95 [25]
5 × 115 [35]
3 × 140 [45,2.5]
5 × 150 [45,5,2.5]
5 × 170 [45,10,5,2.5]
5+ × 195 [45,25,5]
10 × 70 [10,2.5]
10 × 70 [10,2.5]
10 × 70 [10,2.5]
10 × 70 [10,2.5]
10 × 70 [10,2.5]
dumbbell row
10 × 
10 × 
10 × 
10 × 
10 × 

It's 5/3/1 for dummies

Also going to use this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146928733&page=1

bjstare
04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Glad this thread got bumped. I've been looking to change things up in my workout routine a bit, so I decided to start 5/3/1 this week. Don't wanna start another thread, so I'll just post my baseline here.

5'11" 160-165lb (depending on the week)

1RM (avg of a couple online calcs):
Military Press - 143
Bench - 238
Squat - 238
Deadlift - 255

Don't laugh at my bench = squat :rolleyes: . Hoping this will help my legs grow a bit.

I'll probably update in a couple months to see where I'm at. The routine I'm following is a bit different than what pops out of the calculator 403ep3 posted, but not all that different. I might just buy/torrent the book instead of relying on the various websites/apps. This way I can learn a bit more about different assistance exercises as well.

Does anyone here have the actual book?

403ep3
04-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Glad this thread got bumped. I've been looking to change things up in my workout routine a bit, so I decided to start 5/3/1 this week. Don't wanna start another thread, so I'll just post my baseline here.

5'11" 160-165lb (depending on the week)

1RM (avg of a couple online calcs):
Military Press - 143
Bench - 238
Squat - 238
Deadlift - 255

Don't laugh at my bench = squat :rolleyes: . Hoping this will help my legs grow a bit.

I'll probably update in a couple months to see where I'm at. The routine I'm following is a bit different than what pops out of the calculator 403ep3 posted, but not all that different. I might just buy/torrent the book instead of relying on the various websites/apps. This way I can learn a bit more about different assistance exercises as well.

Does anyone here have the actual book?

Squat = Bench is not that bad lol. Get your DL up :D

I have the book. It was $10 from Amazon onto a kindle app. I read the whole thing in pretty much a couple hours..it's kinda short lol. It gives some good insight and talks about a bunch of different assistance exercises you might want to do.

genesis0403
06-27-2013, 10:13 PM
I bought the book as well. I highly recommend buying the book.... So much more detail and extra stuff in it that the internet doesn't have

Plus $10 on kindle app/kindle is like two cups of starbucks coffee.

duaner
06-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Is Kindle the only way to get the book in Canada? Is this Kindle "app" available in Android? I prefer hardcopies of books and I normally buy them from Amazon.ca, but they don't have it. Unless it's only available in softcopy.

genesis0403
06-28-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm using the Kindle app on my galaxy tab right now. I bought the book through the app

Tej.S
06-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but since we're on the topic of books, I HIGHLY recommend "becoming a supple leopard". This book has it all, seriously.

duaner
06-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Tej.S
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but since we're on the topic of books, I HIGHLY recommend "becoming a supple leopard". This book has it all, seriously.
I thought you were joking. I was laughing until I looked it up on Amazon and read some reviews. Might be worth getting, especially for me as I seem to be almost continually dealing with injuries and strains. A constant 1 or two steps forward and 1 or two steps back. Can't get anywhere. Maybe just getting too old.

Originally posted by genesis0403
I'm using the Kindle app on my galaxy tab right now. I bought the book through the app
Which version?

http://www.amazon.ca/Simplest-Effective-Training-Strength-ebook/dp/B00AJ8CIQM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

http://www.amazon.ca/Simplest-Effective-Training-Strength-ebook/dp/B00B1HOZ6G/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372524209&sr=1-2&keywords=5%2F3%2F1

The one in the first link says 2nd Edition but it has a published date prior to the 1st Edition...:nut: I suppose the publish date could just be when Amazon published it for Kindle.

Edited: NVM, I realized that the PDF copy I have is 2nd Ed, so that's what I just downloaded to my HTC One. Just wanted to make sure that it was the actual 2nd Ed. I had found a "free" PDF version on a Russian website several weeks ago but since I have been doing the program (loosely), I wanted to give money where it was due.

Tej.S
06-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Haha it sounds funny, but it's actually an amazing book. It pertains to so much more than just lifting, just teaches you everything there is to know about mobility. If any of you guys are interested, you can actually google sample versions of the book, I think it's like the first 50 pages.

duaner
07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Finally had enough and purchased it from my iPod while laying in bed Saturday night. lol Hope it's good. That's one pricey book. :)