PDA

View Full Version : opinions on bigger SUV

03ozwhip
11-04-2009, 07:22 PM
im looking to go to something with a little more luxury and im looking at the following...

03/04 escalade
03/04 navigator
03-05 avalanche with leather/dvd

looking for people who own or who have owned or have experience with these and what the opinions are of them or if you know of anything in the category (no bmw suv's) then let me know. thanks!

Diocletian
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
What on earth do you think you need one of those under built school buses for? If you want a luxury vehicle buy a mercedes or lexus car.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Avalances and Escalades all have very common drive train problems with t-cases, trannys and diffs, very weak efforts on behalf of GM, so I'd only get one thats had a gentle well maintained life.

As for the 5.4 Lincolns, I'd avoid those as well due to the few major engine failures I've seen in the few I know of.

4.7 Limited Sequoia or bust.

atgilchrist
11-04-2009, 09:36 PM
The Infiniti QX56 is really nice, and you can pick them up for cheap in the States (they're made there, so no duty).

03ozwhip
11-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
What on earth do you think you need one of those under built school buses for? If you want a luxury vehicle buy a mercedes or lexus car.

if i asked about a mercedes or lexus then i would have put it in the title, no? i want them so i can roll like a gangsta and look cool :thumbsup: what the fucks it to you that i want one?

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Avalances and Escalades all have very common drive train problems with t-cases, trannys and diffs, very weak efforts on behalf of GM, so I'd only get one thats had a gentle well maintained life.

As for the 5.4 Lincolns, I'd avoid those as well due to the few major engine failures I've seen in the few I know of.

4.7 Limited Sequoia or bust.
thats what i want to hear except the sequoia part, i cant get one of those in my price range. can you elaborate more on the issues, i tried searching and i didnt come up with anything as far as issues go.

03ozwhip
11-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
The Infiniti QX56 is really nice, and you can pick them up for cheap in the States (they're made there, so no duty).

ya theyre nice, just not looking to import as i may need it in a day or 2. ill look a little more into that one though.

03ozwhip
11-04-2009, 10:15 PM
ill mention that im going from an 07 Mitsu Outlander, though its a nice SUV, its not as luxury as id like and its a decent size but i want something bigger.

Diocletian
11-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

if i asked about a mercedes or lexus then i would have put it in the title, no? i want them so i can roll like a gangsta and look cool :thumbsup: what the fucks it to you that i want one?

thats what i want to hear except the sequoia part, i cant get one of those in my price range. can you elaborate more on the issues, i tried searching and i didnt come up with anything as far as issues go.

Roll like a gangsta? I hope that was a joke.

In regard to the 5.4's, they have had issues with launching their spark plugs out of the cylinder heads, and piston slap.

thetransporter
11-04-2009, 10:40 PM

didnt gangsters like tupac biggie have lexus and toyota land cruiser?

Kloubek
11-04-2009, 10:41 PM
If you want a 2005 Sequoia with low miles and under 25g, pm me.

Masked Bandit
11-04-2009, 10:46 PM
I've got a 2005 Avalanche (LT) loaded. It's pretty close to the Caddy but they do drive a bit different. The Caddy has a slightly bigger motor (6.0 L vs 5.3 L) but is AWD vs 2WD/4WD. I can't speak about the Lincoln's, I've never owned one. I'm guessing budget is a bit of a concern. If I'm wrong on that though, the '07 and up Avalanches drive very nicely. I don't know that I would consider my Avy "luxury" because in the end, it is a truck. But a nicer truck than a traditional 1/2 ton.

And this crap about GM drivelines having trouble? PFFFFFFT! The only thing these are known for failing is some kind of electrical switch in the transfer case. Mine quite last winter and it cost me under $200 to have repaired / replaced at a dealership.

As soon as someone jumps on here bitching about gas consumption, after having mine for a year I average 15L / 100KM. Which is the same as my old 1995 Pathfinder with a dinky little 3.0L V6.

03ozwhip
11-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

didnt gangsters like tupac biggie have lexus and toyota land cruiser?
i dont know its the stereotype if you want an escalade or nav youre trying to look gangster, ya it was a joke. but really im only looking for opinions from people that know about THESE trucks and any other similar options with similar pricing. what do you mean the spark plugs LAUNCH with the 5.4 youre talking the Nav, right?

masked bandit, i guess what i mean by luxury is basically the inside, leather and all options with possible dvd/nav which i know some of the avy's came with. how do you like yours?

corsvette
11-04-2009, 11:54 PM
We had a Denali (sold it because we needed a yukon xl)which has the exact same drivetrain as the Escalade,150,000km has been a excelent truck,ONE problem the whole time we have owned it,the front diff had to have a bearing replaced it was howling at highway speeds ,on the lade's and denali thy are full time four wheel the tech said its common,just use sythetic oil and they last 250,000kms plus.
The engine and transmission never skipped a beat,and i never had to worry about replacing timing belts and waterpumps,my friend bought it off me and he has 210,000 on it now,he has had no problems with it.
The interior held up ok,some of the stange rubbery coating gm puts on the dash started to peel in spots,mostly around the radio and centre cubby hole,one of the bose speakers went out,and a inside rear door handle broke.It stayed rattle free and felt solid.
These models came with the 4l80 transmission which is a tough unit,overall i liked it enough to buy another GM suv.

03ozwhip
11-05-2009, 12:16 AM
good to know, i was kind of looking at a denali too, thanks for the insight.

masoncgy
11-05-2009, 09:29 AM
I've had my '03 Avalanche for 4 years now, and it has been an awesome truck all around. Outside of the standard oil changes & interval based maintenance requirements, it has needed absolutely nothing in the form of repairs, at all.

The best part about the Avalanche is it's versatility... you can fold down the rear seats and lay a load of 4x8 sheets of plywood flat, locked up and stored in a water/weather proof box.

Lots of power from the standard 5.3L V8 too... gas mileage is okay, I get about 15 mpg combined... which, considering the Avalanche's weight, is pretty decent. My 2000 Durango's 4.7L fuel economy was way worse and it's a much smaller vehicle.

It's a great choice if you want full size SUV cabin space, but the ability to utilize an 8 ft truck box... :)

I've been looking to replace mine with a newer & larger pick up, but I am having a hard time giving up my Avalanche... I could have it for years and years!

Thaco
11-05-2009, 10:53 AM
i have a 5.3 Yukon, i love it... never had an issue with it, never had the "common" drivetrain issues, and i am at like 270,000km

i would suggest a denali, they are very nice, clean, "luxury" and dont have the "bling" of the escalade.

ScottysZ
11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Steer clear of the 5.4 fords, my dads has needed the rear diff replaced (~100k) and is getting serious piston slap (~130k). And he maintains his vehicles better than anyone ive ever seen. I think there was something else major but i cant remember. Its also had issues with the ABS and electrical systems. Id go for a GM.

http://www.carsurvey.org/

Masked Bandit
11-05-2009, 12:12 PM

masked bandit, i guess what i mean by luxury is basically the inside, leather and all options with possible dvd/nav which i know some of the avy's came with. how do you like yours?

Overall I'm a big fan of the Avalanche. I may very well replace it in the future with a '07 or newer. When I was looking for mine I kind of wanted the factory DVD player as well however they ran about a $500 - $750 premium on purchase price. It was for my 5 year old to watch Barbie. Do you know how many portable DVD players you can buy for $750?

With the exception of one car (2003 Maxima) for one year, I've owned nothing but trucks for the past 20 years and the Avy has been my favourite to date.

03ozwhip
11-05-2009, 04:04 PM
good to know. we initially were looking at one but cant find one that we love and the one we did find is way overpriced. so, were really into an 03 Escalade does anyone have one and what do you think of it? it doesnt have crazy maintenance costs does it? it is a gm afterall....

colinxx235
11-05-2009, 04:16 PM
curious what price range you are shooting for...? my dad bought a brand new PW escalade earlier this year and this price he got it for was just stupid cheap, I find many of the used ones have owners selling like the value of new ones is still 90, and they overprice bad... but I love the new one, it is real comfort to drive, only bitch is at the pump or parking the bad boy hahah

scat19
11-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

:werd:

I think it's funny, people associate luxury with "leather".

Hakkola
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Drove an 04 Escalade, interior was shit, it was not a luxury vehicle.

Thaco
11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
you guys say the esky and denali aren't luxury

show me a "luxury" suv that is actually functional... like has 8 passenger seating, a roof rack, can actually tow shit, doesn't cost 100k...

if you want a functional vehicle, the esky and denali are as luxury as you get.

Hakkola
11-05-2009, 04:35 PM
G-Class doesn't cost 100k used. ;)

03ozwhip
11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
i realize leather isnt the luxury part, but all the looks and functionalities of a cadillac with luxury options is what im after. dont tell me an esky isnt luxury. cadillac is one of the first luxury vehicle produced.

colinxx235
11-06-2009, 12:34 AM
yah I'm sorry greatly disagree about non-luxury, we have an 09 escalade fully loaded and the seats are amazingly comforatable, heated + A/C, rear heated seats, the climate control is awesome, bose sound system is great, heated steering wheel, it is a very comforatable ride, great on road trips, has a good chunk of power and space inside. yah we tested the ml55 amg and x5 4.8 they were nicer but for another 25 grand on the benz wasn't really worth it...

Diocletian
11-06-2009, 10:09 AM
i realize leather isnt the luxury part, but all the looks and functionalities of a cadillac with luxury options is what im after. dont tell me an esky isnt luxury. cadillac is one of the first luxury vehicle produced.

Well if you're going to go on what cadillac was 100 years ago, there's no much hope for you. Cadillac has built tons of crap over the last 50 years and tried to pass it off as a luxury vehicle - need a mentioned the citation clone aka cadillac cimarron?

Diocletian
11-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
yah I'm sorry greatly disagree about non-luxury, we have an 09 escalade fully loaded and the seats are amazingly comforatable, heated + A/C, rear heated seats, the climate control is awesome, bose sound system is great, heated steering wheel, it is a very comforatable ride, great on road trips, has a good chunk of power and space inside. yah we tested the ml55 amg and x5 4.8 they were nicer but for another 25 grand on the benz wasn't really worth it...

I"m not sure why people associate tons of useless gadgets with luxury. Luxury cars have really lost their way when the only method they have for differentiating themselves from mainstream cars is by more electrical junk.

atgilchrist
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
^ Or almost every car nowadays has features that used to only come in luxury vehicles.

What, by your definition, makes a luxury car now?

Thaco
11-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
^ Or almost every car nowadays has features that used to only come in luxury vehicles.

What, by your definition, makes a luxury car now? the logo on the hood obviously. :rolleyes:

Mitsu3000gt
11-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I was in a friend's Escalade (2-3 years old) and honestly I didn't like it at all. I was in it for a few hours and I noticed:

- Huge gaps in interior trim pieces
- Interior trim pieces starting to fall off
- Huge gaps/waves in the plastic covering the B pillars, the plastic trim near the doors on the floor, and other similar areas
- Many loose wires under the seats
- Waves in the carpet
- Everything extremely "cheap" feeling (IMO)
- Doors rattled when closed, even with the windows up
- Vehicle itself had serious rattles over small bumps/railroad tracks
- That super cheap fuzzy stuff on the roof
- Labels/finish wearing off the interior buttons
- Seats were unsupportive, and leather was cracking

Anyways, not everyone will care about the above, but those are the kinds of things that bother me because they make a vehicle seem cheap IMO. It just lacked the quality/refinement I would expect from something in that price range. To me, it felt like a $20,000 SUV with some leather, a caddy badge, and more power options. Nearly $100k new for those things is just preposterous.

I'm not saying it's crap or anything, I just didn't think it was anything special at all, especially when price is a consideration. It just lacked the refinement, quality, attention to detail, etc. that you can get with some other brands. The whole vehicle just seemed like an afterthought, like GM just said "oh yeah, we need an expensive SUV" and then slapped together the escalade.

We also use a Nissan Armada to tow our boat, and I must admit the interior is nothing special on it either, but in every other way I much prefer it to the Escalade. Nissan's 5.6 V8 is fantastic as well.

redsrt4
11-06-2009, 05:27 PM
how bout 2009 chrysler aspen limited??

corsvette
11-06-2009, 05:59 PM
The current generation Escalade (07 up)has come a long way in terms of "luxury"The interior does not even compare to the previous version,which was an update on the late 90's GM truck interior.It is MUCH higher quality in materials (no more fuzzy stuff on the roof)

ExtraSlow
11-06-2009, 06:29 PM
If the Navigator is on your list, also check out the Eddie Bauer Expeditions. Most of the same luxury features, slightly lower pricetag.

Sugarphreak
11-06-2009, 08:47 PM

SJW
11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm on my third avalanche. I like them.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I'd sooner get an LTZ 07+ chev for sure over the older escalades.

I work on a lot, hence my experiences changing t-cases and front diffs quite often.

The front ends suck too, its a truck, its really not luxurious when you have a wondering front end that clunks as you drive along, or an airbag system that leaks and has to pump up everytime you start it.

I couldnt recommend any american luxury SUV, but if I had to, I'd chose the Envoy if that counts.

TomcoPDR
11-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

I couldnt recommend any american luxury SUV, but if I had to, I'd chose the Envoy if that counts.

Speaking of which, OP what about an Acadia? Or Traverse?

Yea, my 03 Denali has front diff. issues.

Masked Bandit
11-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Speaking of which, OP what about an Acadia? Or Traverse?

Yea, my 03 Denali has front diff. issues.

V6 FWD? Come on man, that's not a truck!

prae
11-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

V6 FWD? Come on man, that's not a truck!

But at $1.50 a litre it's a hell of a lot nicer to fill up.

Masked Bandit
11-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by prae

But at $1.50 a litre it's a hell of a lot nicer to fill up.

Meh, not really. The gas mileage on something like an Acadia / Traverse isn't that much better than a truck-based SUV. I posted earlier that I get 15L / 100KM with my Avalanche. We had an Enclave for a week this past summer and ended up with ~13L / 100KM. Not enough of a difference to really worry about.

alpha_gangsta
08-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Bumping an old Thread... I didn't want to make a new one since this would be similar to what I'm looking for.

Family is looking for a 7+ Passenger SUV.
Budget is about ~$15K.
Not a daily driver. More for transportation of goods in the city and road trips with extended family (3 Kids/Teen, 3 Adults) + Gear
Towing and Offroad capability is not a priority
Comfort/"luxury" and reliability is what we're aiming for

I already have an X5 and have used my dad's XC90 on several occasions. We want something with more cargo room.
I'm not brand loyal and this segment is new to me. I've been doing some light research but would like any suggestions/education available.

Currently looking at:
04+ QX56 (Heard about reliability issues?)
03+ Yukon Denali (XL?)
04+ Expedition Eddie Bauer/Limited

Also considered Navigators and Escalades but I did't really want anything too flashy...

Thanks!

ExtraSlow
08-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I rent big SUV's a few times a year for work, and even as a Die-hard Ford guy, I have to say the Suburban/Yukon XL is a hell of a nice rig. They would be top of my list with the Expedition.

If you want to go really big, you might be able to find a decent Excursion for that price, but that's a lot of truck, and isn't for everyone. Myself, I love 'em.

Since you are looking at stuff that is ten years old, condition will be more important than brand. In my opinion, it's also better to get something that sold in big numbers, much easier to find parts when stuff does break.

How about this:
2006 Yukon XL Denali w/ 131k for $14,990
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2006-GMC-Yukon-Denali-8-Passenger-W0QQAdIdZ499404841

corsvette
08-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Can't go wrong with a Yukon/suburban. Very reliable and comfy trucks. The expedition has the 5.4 which you'll find under powered compared to the 6.0 in the Denali.

I bought an excursion for towing our trailer this summer. Holly hell, that thing is one Harry chested beast of a truck. Buy one of those only if towing 7000+ lbs is a common occurrence.

haggis88
08-03-2013, 07:18 PM
i noticed earlier in the thread there was mention of the X5 and Merc offerings being much better as far as luxury goes...that may be, but they have pretty crap towing ratings - my buddy was looking at a 3.0d X5 for a daily but he needed the ability to pull his wifes horsebox and the 3.2 V6 VW Toureg actually has a better tow rating and is widely recommended on the horse forums she visits :lol:

i told him to get an F350 dually since they're not very common in the UK he'd be the talk of the town :lol:

say what you want about the Yanks attempts at luxury...they sure know how to make a rig that'll pull a 3-bedroom semi!

alpha_gangsta
08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the recommendation and help.

The excursion would be way too much of a beast for my uses. Hehe. It'd be nice to get the 6.0 with the Denali/Yukon XL but from what I'm hearing, the 5.3 is plenty since I won't be towing.

More KMs but a little cheaper
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2005-GMC-Yukon-XL-1500-Denali-AWD-NAVIGATION-DVD-LEATHER-ROOF-W0QQAdIdZ509020302

I'll give both a look.

HiTempguy1
08-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
Can't go wrong with a Yukon/suburban. Very reliable and comfy trucks. The expedition has the 5.4 which you'll find under powered compared to the 6.0 in the Denali.

Disagree. Trucktrend did a comparison between the Expedition with the 5.4 and a 6 speed vs the 6.0L and 4 speed auto denali back in the day.

Expedition won everything, towing 5000lbs or not, except for 1/4 mile (but beat the Sub to 60mph). Also got better mpg. I'm a GM fanboi through and through, but GM really shit the bed on how long it took them to get past 4 speed autos.

ALSO, the 4L60E/4L65E WILL have problems.The 65E is much better, but in the end, it's a guessing game after 160,000kms. 4L60E's had the sunshell on the torque converter do bad things, and there are some other niggling transmission issues. The outer bearings on the transfer cases also die right after warranty.

The only saving grace is they are easy to work on, and so many trucks had problems that there are legit backyard mechanics who will rebuild/replace this stuff for cheap. I know a GM journeyman who will remove, rebuild, reinstall for $1k to $1500 for a 4L60E/4L65E. $800 for a rebuilt transfer case. :dunno:

corsvette
08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Disagree. Trucktrend did a comparison between the Expedition with the 5.4 and a 6 speed vs the 6.0L and 4 speed auto denali back in the day.

Expedition won everything, towing 5000lbs or not, except for 1/4 mile (but beat the Sub to 60mph). Also got better mpg. I'm a GM fanboi through and through, but GM really shit the bed on how long it took them to get past 4 speed autos.

ALSO, the 4L60E/4L65E WILL have problems.The 65E is much better, but in the end, it's a guessing game after 160,000kms. 4L60E's had the sunshell on the torque converter do bad things, and there are some other niggling transmission issues. The outer bearings on the transfer cases also die right after warranty.

The only saving grace is they are easy to work on, and so many trucks had problems that there are legit backyard mechanics who will rebuild/replace this stuff for cheap. I know a GM journeyman who will remove, rebuild, reinstall for $1k to $1500 for a 4L60E/4L65E. $800 for a rebuilt transfer case. :dunno:

Gotta say I much prefered my 6.0L Denali for towing over the 5.4 Ford. I do agree GM stayed in the 4 sp world too long, I never did have any issues with mine (just 2 front diff rebuilds)

The GM's are very simple to work on.

stillworking
08-05-2013, 10:55 PM
I had the 6.0 in a Suburban. It had plenty of power, but the ~12mpg fuel economy in the city was why I disposed of it.

Graham_A_M
08-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Interesting, I've seen a good number of high mileage 4L65E's with no issues, and thats being fed by highly modded 430hp+++ plus) LS1 & LS2's. :dunno:
Ideally a 700hp/TQ ready T-56 Borg warner (6 speed manual) is ideal, but thats not always available, for all the make and models out there.
Seems to be a winning combo for anybody wanting a high HP engine with a manual, especially when it can be had out of a crashed GTO or G8 for around 4-5k on ebay, as a package deal with all the wiring & accessories.

corsvette
08-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Fact is the 4l60/65 will live a long time if maintained. However, As soon as regular heavy towing is introduced problems will occur. They just run too hot with the factory cooler, add a nice aftermarket unit and you're going to help it live alot longer.