PDA

View Full Version : Home Appliance Repair

DENZILDON
11-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Can anyone recommend a company or repair man who can check out my fridge and my dishwasher? I live in the mckenzie area and the brand is maytag if that helps.

4doorj
11-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Bump!
Me too, I need someone to look at my Frigidaire dryer.

Davetronz
11-12-2009, 09:58 AM
and I need someone to look at my Kenmore washer and dryer :(

Bimmer88
11-17-2009, 01:14 AM
http://www.SouthlandCrossingTV.com

They do both Electronics and Appliances. Major brands, and very reasonable prices.

Some other companies such as Trail Appliances charges by the MINUTE!!! I told trail screw that... I ain't paying so and so for the minute.

Their service calls are $90.00 + GST, and they will let you know of the total cost before they do anything of course.

Best thing to do is call them for more details.

project240
11-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Why not google and try fix yourself?

This past weekend our dryer completely quit working. I've never worked on an appliance in my life, but I spent a few minutes on google, grabbed my multimeter and away I went. An hour later I picked up a $21 part and dryer works great again.

ianmcc
11-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I fix all of my appliance issues. Google is a great asset, and if you can spin a wrench you can fix an appliance. Mostly it's a matter of diagnosing the issue and replacing the offending part. You can find sites like Sears Parts Direct
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action
that offer exploded views and parts numbers of all the components so you can identify the part number to do an online search for part numbers.
And shop e-Bay for parts if you can wait-we pay ridiculous prices for appliance parts in Canada. Even with fees, shipping and exchange parts are as much as 50% of local prices.
An electronic control panel for a D/W-over $200 locally-eBay was under $150 all in.
And a lot of times, the parts come with a how-to instruction sheet as well.
BTW, you can amaze your wife with your skill and frugality and score some bonus points you can cash in later when YOU want something!

Billy_Billions
12-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
http://www.SouthlandCrossingTV.com

They do both Electronics and Appliances. Major brands, and very reasonable prices.

I've had nothing but problems with these guys. My Microwave stopped working, I would have just tossed it and just got a new one but it's an over the range and juuust out of warranty. they told me they'd call me in 3-4 days with the diagnosis. I also put down $25 up front for them to look at it. A week went by with no calls so I gave them a ring. The woman on the phone said that people were sick and projects were backed up blah blah blah (could have called me to tell me that, but they didn't). I told her I understood and would hear from them next week. Another week went by and I called them again. Same lady gave me the EXACT same story word for word as if it was written down infront of her. I told her that if I didn't hear from them tomorrow I'd be coming down there and getting my $25 back as well.

I got a call at 8am the next saying that I had a faulty wire connection and the cooling fan for the magnetron was burned out. Sounds like an easy fix but they wanted to charge me $205 to fix it. Seemed unreasonable to me at the time so I asked him why it was so expensive - he said they'd have to order in a special fan.

So about 16 days into this problem I told them to put it back together and have it waiting for me to pick up. My wife went down there to grab and 4 hours later they didn't have it ready. The woman at the front was snotty to my wife and told her she had no idea how long it would take and was very unhelpful.

sorry to highjack this thread - but I thought I'd give you a heads up about my experience with them.

I'm now looking for someone else to try and fix this.

Klobi-1-Kinobi
12-12-2009, 12:04 PM
I'll echo what others have mentioned and say to try and fix yourself. Often the fix is easier than you think. The freezer in my side by side crapped out just out out of warranty, turned out to be a heating element which is usually what breaks in that model. Took about 5 minutes to replace.

Kloubek
12-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Elements and belts are super easy to fix, and are usually the things that go on such appliances. Easy stuff. Often, Google isn't even required... just common sense. If a belt is snapped, you fix it. If a heating element isn't heating, you replace it.

I would have done the same for my fridge, but the compressor required all sorts of piping soldering and coolant replacing, which I was not about to take on....

Clever
02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
BUMP

My oven stopped working on our Stove Top Oven, anyone dealt with this before? Stove/range still works just the oven does not heat up. any ideas?

Waldi
02-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Clever
BUMP

My oven stopped working on our Stove Top Oven, anyone dealt with this before? Stove/range still works just the oven does not heat up. any ideas?
yep, had a same problem, it is electronic control board unit, call part source with model number and they will tell you $$$(they are pricey - mine cost about $250.00). It is pretty easy repair (15-20 min) all you do is unscrew back of your stove (after unplugging it) and unscrew few screws that hold the electronic control board in place, unplug all the wires from old and plug them into new one and reverse process. Only one thing, with nine I had to remove control board from old one and attach to the new one. Pretty easy fix. BTW, mine was Frigidaire gallery model.

Clever
02-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm going to call them right away, mine is a Frigidaire as well, thanks a lot.