PDA

View Full Version : can different brand tires in same size cause loss of mpg

Stunt66
11-05-2009, 05:40 PM
My buddy has a new 4runner and he recently swapped tires to the goodyear silent armors in the same size as oem, he's saying he gets about 100kms less per tank of gas now. He's on the 4th tank now and each time at a different station and its still the same result. Have any of you guys heard of this problem?

Supa Dexta
11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Yes, tread design, tire weight.. ect can change the mpgs.

That and depending on how worn out the old ones were, it can throw off the speedo, and odometer, to make him think he's getting less.

TomcoPDR
11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Yes, tread design, tire weight.. ect can change the mpgs.

That and depending on how worn out the old ones were, it can throw off the speedo, and odometer, to make him think he's getting less.

:werd: espeically on big vehicles and them big M+S offroad tires

colinxx235
11-05-2009, 06:59 PM
my winter tires give me about 20% more kms a tank... kinda weird, but yah those summer tires make a huge difference

revelations
11-05-2009, 07:18 PM
yes, check your tire pressures also

nobb
11-05-2009, 09:14 PM
My stock tires were the Potenza RE92, which are well known for having terrible grip but very low rolling resistance (that's why it's used in hybrids). I bought a new set of Kumho Ecsta ASX and immediately I noticed my mileage dropped by about 5- 8 mpg. My mileage also drops by roughly 4mpg when I throw on my Blizzaks, but that could also be due to winter driving conditions.

realazy
11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Even in the same size the actual measurements of different brand tires vary. Go to a site like tirerack.com and check the exact measurements.

Other than that, the tread depth can also change the actual diameter of the tire.

The rolling resistance as said before affects fuel economy a lot as well.