PDA

View Full Version : want to take an escalade for a test drive but....

03ozwhip
11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
the guy doesnt have insurance or registration on it because he has a new vehicle. what the best way to take it for a test drive and for an inspection??? no sucj thing as 1 day insurance, whats the next best thing?

beyond_ban
11-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Take it for a 5 minute spin around the area :dunno:

Grey area, to say the least.

03ozwhip
11-05-2009, 08:17 PM
nah im not gonna take my chances on that, i also want to take it for an inspection so it would be good to drive it there...any otehr suggestion on how to get around this??

7thgenvic
11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Call your insurance and get 1 day coverage!

Supa Dexta
11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Its been a while since I've done it, but if your car is parked on your property you should be able to throw your plate on it for the day.

03ozwhip
11-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
Call your insurance and get 1 day coverage!

i heard theres no such thing anymore....masked bandit where are you on this???

ercchry
11-05-2009, 08:28 PM
find someone with a dealer plate

black13
11-05-2009, 08:30 PM
i think ama has temp insurance. and my insurance gave me 7 day insurance when i needed to move my car.

sr20s14zenki
11-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Tell the guy if he really wants to sell the veichle he will figure it out.......

03ozwhip
11-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Tell the guy if he really wants to sell the veichle he will figure it out.......

i said that but im pretty interested in it and it looks like he may not sell because of this.

7thgenvic
11-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

i said that but im pretty interested in it and it looks like he may not sell because of this.

I would be a bit worried about that! Call your insurance company tomorrow. He can certainly call his insurance company and have temp insurance. My brother sold his crap box and he called insurance when it was winter parked and they put temp on it until the new owner took it for registration and full insurance.

03ozwhip
11-05-2009, 09:03 PM
^^^will try it.

Joe-G
11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Theres definitely a form of temporary insurance available. How would you legally drive the car to get inspected/repaired if it didnt have insurance? Usually the temporary coverage only lasts about a week until you have to finalize things. That's how it is with Allstate anyways...

canuckcarguy
11-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Just lowball the hell out of him and buy it "pig in a poke". Or buy it, subject to inspection, get a bill of sale that indicates this, give him a deposit, insure it, get an in-transit permit, drive it, inspect it, and if you are satisfied, complete the deal. If you're not satisfied, get your deposit back, and then call your insurance company and tell them it didn't work out.

If you have an existing policy, they probably won't charge you a retained premium. If you don't, or they're feeling difficult, they will.

Good luck.

theken
11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
how much? what year? I will sell mine

superboss
11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Call your insurance company, they'll take your money any way it comes.. Days insurance, monthly insurance, they dont care!!!:nut: :nut:

sr20s14zenki
11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
My wife is a broker, she says they (the owner) need to call their insurance company, they can bind coverage for a day no problem, they should anyways, she always does

canuckcarguy
11-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Hey, just thought of this as well. If you use a mechanical shop that you patronize regularly and know well, there are decent odds they'll have a dealer plate. Maybe they'll let you use it to drive the car to and from the inspection. As long as they're with you, their insurance is likely fine.

albaniav3
11-06-2009, 07:16 AM
if you put another cars plates on it, i will tell u now if u get caught u will not get a ticket or a huge fine. u will get charged criminaly. trust me i got really lucky with this, i was DDing my car with different plates and i come back to where i parked my car to find cops takin off my plates and fucking around with my car, they told me if they caught me driving this instead of being in private property i would have been charged with fraud. so ur better off driving with no plates in which if u do get caught its still a HTA offence rather than driving with mismatching plates which is fraud under Criminal act. just a heads up.

Masked Bandit
11-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

i heard theres no such thing anymore....masked bandit where are you on this???

Right here!

Careful people. The rules surrounding just throwing your own plate on a vehicle can be a little complicated and will not work in this situation.

You can not insure something you do not own.

Please re-read that line.

Now, one way to do this legally is to have the current owner call up his agent and put the vehicle back on the policy for a day or two. Your other option is to do a bill of sale conditional on a few points (satisfactory test drive / inspection) then you will be able to insure it but call your broker for specific details.

SCHIDER23
11-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
My wife is a broker, she says they (the owner) need to call their insurance company, they can bind coverage for a day no problem, they should anyways, she always does

:werd:

Sr20s14zenki is correct, we had the same problem when my brother was looking for a truck, the guy that was selling the truck we were looking at, didn't have insurance and no valid plate. When I called our insurance they said they couldn't issued temp insurance, because the vehicle was not under my brothers name, when I call the registration office they gave me the same story, the owner of the vehicle is the only one that can put temp insurance or even towed it, the registry can give you temp registration only when you present a Bill of sale, so not even AMA will touch the vehicle if it's not under your name.

bituerbo
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm covered for driving other peoples cars because I've got fulll coverage on my primary vehicle. Ask your insurance co. about that.

Masked Bandit
11-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I'm covered for driving other peoples cars because I've got fulll coverage on my primary vehicle. Ask your insurance co. about that.

BE VERY, VERY, VERY careful with this. There is an extremely narrow set of circumstances where this applies and it has NOTHING to do with you having full coverage on your vehicle. Your broker should be able to explain these conditions to you.

alloroc
11-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Tell the owner to drive you around the block and take it in for inspection.

That way it is his liability.

adamc
11-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Stay on your couch and assume the driving position, make some vroom-vroom sounds, and then light a $100 bill on fire (fuel for that little trip).

Congrats you have just test driven an Escalade without insurance issues.