PDA

View Full Version : 14 year old boy signs lucrative contract to be a pro athlete

buh_buh
11-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Yes, a 14 year old boy has just signed a contract with Major League Soccer. This 14 year old boy will be the highest paid player in the U.S. MLS league. Let the hype commence!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/grant_wahl/11/18/adu.mls/?cnn=yes

EK 2.0
11-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Lucky somomabitch...

littledan
11-18-2003, 04:33 PM
holy shit... he'll be able to retire when he's 22 :rofl:

mo_virgin
11-18-2003, 05:07 PM
That is soo messed... but he must be amazing. Thats like grade 8!!! I hope he can handle it... i wonder how his teamates will treat him.

SinisterProbeGt
11-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Freddy Adu, the 14-year-old American soccer prodigy, has signed a four-year contract with MLS (plus two option years), culminating a fevered three-month-long pursuit that involved such global giants as Chelsea, Manchester United, Inter Milan, PSV Eindhoven and Barcelona.
Way to work it kid

:thumbsup:

Roadrage
11-18-2003, 05:32 PM
He decides to sign with the MLS?!?!
I see great career development there...not

4 years with a 2 year option to boot...

He had the pick of the world's best to train with and he picks MLS (which I would say is equivalent to English Division 2 or so). :confused:

Shaolin
11-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Adu is one of the prodigies of futbol, moved from Nigeria (or some African country) and just tore the shit out of the competition.. I think he's a member of the USA U17 or U19 team that lost to Spain in the semis.. But yeah, this kid is going to be good, and Europe will be all over him once he turns 17, you watch.. he's not going to be in the MLS for that long.. considering the MLS caps salary at 250,000 a season.. he can be making that much in a week if he was in Europe. The big boys of Europe already had him on the shortlist, but I think with residency and work permits it's wise of him to join the MLS at first, but like i said, he's not going to be around for long. Even though he's 14, he'll probably get alot of help from the starters of DC united so he'll get good life experience, but skill wise, the MLS is obviously not the way to go.. Even though the US is in the top 10, I personally don't believe they belong there, and in WC02, they lucked out.

Aww well, enough with the rant, this kid's going to be fun to watch once he matures and gets first team action, he'll be the next Ronaldo.

EK 2.0
11-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Sorry to steal this thread...but DUDE, you have a RIVER CITY RANSOM Avatar......that so rocks man...props...

moose_8
11-18-2003, 10:36 PM
maybe its not his real age, there playing a baseball scam

sexualbanana
11-20-2003, 04:22 AM
The kid's 14, but is a high school senior. Apparently he skipped a bunch of grades, and did 10 and 11 together.

itsnotaDUB
11-20-2003, 04:32 AM
damn i dont think that mls would be my first choice with teams like milan and man...

/////AMG
11-20-2003, 09:07 AM
^^:werd: I agree with Shaolin....he's not gonn abe in the states that long, he'll have a way better carrer in Europe. Anyone got some footage of him playing?

PS. Link is broken

sexualbanana
11-20-2003, 01:08 PM
They showed footage of him playing on Letterman last night. He's pretty damn good

Gondi Stylez
11-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
The kid's 14, but is a high school senior. Apparently he skipped a bunch of grades, and did 10 and 11 together.

hes a child prodigy!!:eek:

Shaolin
11-20-2003, 05:14 PM
I saw him play the U17 playoffs against Spain and the game against Brazil.. the US got spanked, and Adu was playing reasonably well.. (it's hard to say when you play well in the game, considering one man army style doesn't work in soccer), but he was marked very well so he couldn't get into open space. But his abilities are there, he just needs to gel with the right group of 11 and he'll definitely make a big impact. Once he turns 17, there'll be tons of teams putting his name on their shortlist, because then there's no compensation paid to team that owns Adu, and he'll be let go on a free transfer.. we'll see how it goes.. I can't wait to watch him in Europe though, that's a true test of what he can do.. so many young prodigies move to foreign countries to play and just play like crap because of the difference in playing style, I can see him playing in Spain or England.

pinoyhero
11-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Saw a story on this a while ago, pretty amazing I think, when will it end. Teams gambling that Michael Jordan's son will be god so they sign him up just in case.

inawiJ
11-21-2003, 12:23 AM
holy shit this kid must amazing to be 14 n play mls n be scouted by such amazing teams.

Shaolin
11-21-2003, 12:31 AM
most of the big clubs have their own youth development complexes, and have a crap load of scouts.. all they do is fly around the world looking for young talents, and try and sign them so they can train in their own complex. Freddy Adu probably won't see any time in first team until he's 16 or 17. He might train with the first team, but i doubt they will want to put a 14 year old on the field and have him injured or some shit.. Last thing he needs is to have a career threatening injury before even getting a chance to prove himself Internationally.

lam-boy
11-21-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Saw a story on this a while ago, pretty amazing I think, when will it end. Teams gambling that Michael Jordan's son will be god so they sign him up just in case.

his son plays baseball! watch space jam!