PDA

View Full Version : Bird + Baguette > LHC

Xtrema
11-06-2009, 12:25 PM
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2009-11/bread-loving-bird-shuts-down-lhc

The bird dropped some bread on a section of outdoor machinery, eventually leading to significant over heating in parts of the accelerator. The LHC was not operational at the time of the incident, but the spike produced so much heat that had the beam been on, automatic failsafes would have shut down the machine.

:facepalm:

CUG
11-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I think the God particle is causing these complications.

ekguy
11-07-2009, 01:12 PM
I've read more than one article on the theory that a particle is coming from the future to prevent itself from being discovered. It's a pretty interesting concept to say the least.

That was definitely a funny occurrence though. Damn birds haha.

JC522
11-07-2009, 03:43 PM
ya, that things's plagued with freak occurances like the coolant leak and it somehow destroyed some of the magnets to guide the beam of energy and now this? Wonder what'll happen next

TomcoPDR
11-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
I've read more than one article on the theory that a particle is coming from the future to prevent itself from being discovered. It's a pretty interesting concept to say the least.

:nut:

DJ Lazy
11-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by JC522
ya, that things's plagued with freak occurances like the coolant leak and it somehow destroyed some of the magnets to guide the beam of energy and now this? Wonder what'll happen next

Brian Cox explains the magnets.

YnAVjkuQz-Y

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
11-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Just think of it as a massive car, a car has SO many parts and there is so much that can go wrong in a car, one thing after the other. Now, multiply that by a billion and you have the LHC. It's a massive structure, of course it's not going to be in one peice, 100% of the time.