PDA

View Full Version : In car video.

shakalaka
11-06-2009, 02:11 PM
So I am looking to get an in car dvd system. Future shop has a good sale on a clarion one which is $500 installed and seems like a decent price compared to others.

What I am wondering is my car has a stock 6 cd changer in it. So obviously they would have to remove that to install the new one right? So that would mean that I won't have the 6 cd changer anymore, is that correct? Would I still be able to have controls of my cars treble, bass and all those controls? May be a stupid question but I have no idea when it comes to these things so be patient.:angel:

Also is this a decent one to get, it's the Clarion VZ409. I don't want it to be anything too crazy, so not really willing to spend too much on it. Don't even want the thing in general but seems like a good deal so considering it.

04es
11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
your cars bass and treble controls are in the stereo, your new stereo will have controls for that. Yes you will lose your 6 cd changer, but with a newer deck u gain the ability to connect ipod, usb thumb drives, or if bluetooth enabled you can stream music over bluetooth. Aswell as using mp3 cds so u wont need a 6 cd changer.

what kind of vehicle is it going in?

shakalaka
11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by 04es
your cars bass and treble controls are in the stereo, your new stereo will have controls for that. Yes you will lose your 6 cd changer, but with a newer deck u gain the ability to connect ipod, usb thumb drives, or if bluetooth enabled you can stream music over bluetooth. Aswell as using mp3 cds so u wont need a 6 cd changer.

what kind of vehicle is it going in?

Its going in an 09 Mustang I have mp3 compatibility in my stock audio player as well. I went there today and for $130 they will install system including ipod cable but I am just having a conflict with my work schedule and their installers schedules and the first one I get is on 28 novemeber and that too when I am working.

silvercivicsir
11-06-2009, 10:59 PM
fold out screen are garbage, and you will hate it. if you want to get a dvd, get a double din, and just an FYI, futureshop will not disable the safety on the screen, so you can't watch and drive at the same time..

shakalaka
11-07-2009, 02:03 AM
^Yea they told me about that...who would do it? Where can I get it that restriction isn't there..not that I am planning to drive and watch anything i just hate the fact that it's restricted.

Why are fold out no good? That one is super cheap at $399 and seems like a good deal.

Pollywog
11-07-2009, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
fold out screen are garbage, and you will hate it. if you want to get a dvd, get a double din,

Couldn't agree more, plus they look 100% cleaner installed. I put an Avic-D3 in my benz a few years ago after my cd changer shit out on me for the third/last time. iPod sync has become my new best friend, no more burned cd's.

shakalaka
11-07-2009, 03:19 AM
What is single din, double din? Not sure what that means, like I said I am noob at this stuff.

The one I am looking at it is $399 at futureshop right now, what's a good priced double din one?

shakalaka
11-07-2009, 03:28 AM
What do you guys think of this one instead then?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10099471&catid=

If I buy it online what are some of the places I can go to get it installed? Especially without that no playing unless it's in park thing. How much roughly would I be looking at?

And here's another one and it seems to have the navigation system as well in it....or is it just the navigation system and nothing else? I am not too sure...

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10106931&catid=#

Ok..now I am thinking none of them are video players...cause it doesn't mention that...just says multimedia player. I am so confused.
Either way I still have my question about the installation, I can look for a dvd player online and then what are some decently priced places that would be able to install it and possible not have that Park restriction?

Pollywog
11-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
What do you guys think of this one instead then?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10099471&catid=

If I buy it online what are some of the places I can go to get it installed? Especially without that no playing unless it's in park thing. How much roughly would I be looking at?

That is a much better choice, thats pretty much the new and improved version of the avic-d3 I have. With regards to "din", a single din player is one that is the size of your typical cd deck whereas a double-din is one that takes up two times the space.
Example:
Single Dinhttp://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/products/regular/10118960.gif

Double dinhttp://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/products/regular/10099471.gif

To answer your question on the "no playing unless it's in park thing", you can usually do this yourself if you are even slightly technically inclined. For my avic, all I had to do was ground the parking brake connection (so the deck thinks the parking brake is always on) as well as remove the useless "mute" wire from its original spot in the wiring harness to a specific empty slot, followed by grounding that as well. So in other words, it usually only requires grounding a couple of wires - but before you purchase one do your research and make sure this is possible.

You could always have it installed and have one of us do the park-brake mod afterwards - then you can also see how good/bad the wiring was done by the selected shop at the same time.

Also, I got my Avic for $600 on ebay - could probably find just as good of a deal on there nowadays. Here's a pic after my install:
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy345/Ogpogo/0911070902000-1.jpg

topher91
11-07-2009, 09:34 AM
I just bought a double DIN Clarion unit off ebay.

Check out the Clarion NX409. It has DVD/GPS/Ipod etc! It cost me $600 CAD after shipping and conversion.

I thought it was the best bang for buck I could find compared to many $1000 + in-dash GPS double din's.

shakalaka
11-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Ok thanks a lot guys, I guess I will look into getting one from ebay then. And double din as well I suppose, but are there any particular brands or anything that I should be looking at?

What do you guys think of the one I posted above seems like a double din and looks good too, although I am not too sure if it is a dvd player or not so if someone could confirm that as well. This is the one I am talking about

This one if good enough would be the easiest purchase and what are some of the installation places you recommend where I would get time right away and not wait like 3 weeks like NE futureshop? And then I guess I could look for someone here to do that Park restriction.

black13
11-07-2009, 02:59 PM
I might be able to install it for you depending on if you have an amp or not.

Or just get it installed and there is one wire usually that's needed to be grounded, i could do that for you as well.

shakalaka
11-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't have an aftermarket subs or amps at all, so I am not sure what you mean by the amp. If you think you can do the whole install properly, I wouldn't mind giving business to a fellow beyond member. If it helps it's an 09 Mustang Convertible and the system right now is stock is a 6 cd changer and says shaker 500 on it. Not sure if it helps you in finding out if there is an amp or no, but let me know what you think.

And I was also looking to get that ipod connectivity cable going into my glovebox, would you be able to do that as well? If you feel more comfortable then I can just get the installation done professionally and you can remove that park restriction.

Pollywog
11-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

What do you guys think of the one I posted above seems like a double din and looks good too, although I am not too sure if it is a dvd player or not so if someone could confirm that as well. This is the one I am talking about

I somewhat answered it:

That is a much better choice, thats pretty much the new and improved version of the avic-d3 I have.

Its an extension of the older avic line, they are fantastic units. Pioneer is known to make great in-car video/touchscreen products. They keep the cost down by making some of the lesser demanded features such as xmtraffic, sat radio, bluetooth interface etc. as a purchasable add-on, rather than make you pay for something built-in that you'll never use. For example, if you end up wanting bluetooth functionality in the future you just go buy the pioneer b/t box and plug it in to the back of the deck.

shakalaka
11-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

I somewhat answered it:

Its an extension of the older avic line, they are fantastic units. Pioneer is known to make fantastic in-car video/touchscreen products. They keep the cost down by making some of the lesser demanded features such as xmtraffic, sat radio, bluetooth interface etc. as a purchasable add-on, rather than make you pay for something built-in that you'll never use. For example, if you end up wanting bluetooth functionality in the future you just go buy the pioneer b/t box and plug it in to the back of the deck.

Awesome thanks man didn't notice that before, just that on future shop page it didn't mention that it plays dvd's as well so i was just confused if it is even a dvd player or just music player. But thanks though, I can order that online from future shop just need to find a decent place or person to get it installed from now.

Thehonger8
11-07-2009, 04:31 PM
I got my double din pioneer one installed at the Visions (install centre). They were great and they will match any price locally.
Call them 403-287-7433. They are a sponsor on here too. There were some other members that wrote some good reviews so I decided to go with them.

shakalaka
11-16-2009, 03:26 AM
So just to reconfirm if I buy a unit on ebay or from someone else, can I just take it to for example Visions install centre or future shop and get them to install it?
I pm'ed the visions paid sponsor as well. BUt just wondering I am looking to get this JVC unit which is going for $549 at Futureshop or Visions and on ebay I can find it for around $400. So I rather save the $150 and just get it from ebay instead of FS and get it installed there or wherever they do a decent job.