PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help with Intermediate Steering Columns

oilerfan4lyfe
11-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey all,

Short story:

Is a "lower steering column intermediate shaft" part of all internally lubricated mechanical components or the steering column or the steering column shafts?

Long story:

I got the "lower steering column intermediate shaft" regreased on my car because of a knocking sound when turning - they also used a bearing kit to fix it - the problem is so prevalent that Toyota released a service bulletin in regards to it.

I have Comprehensive Extra Care Protection (ECP) but when speaking to a rep on the phone I was told that it's not the same as Toyota Comprehensive Warranty (TCW) (which has expired for me).

I've already paid to have the problem fixed by the dealership but when asking for a refund the Toyota rep said that the ECP doesn't cover the fix even though the TCW does.

The terms of my ECP say this is fixed free of charge:

Steering gear housing and all internally lubricated mechanical components, control valves, steering column, steering column shafts and couplings, steering knuckles, power steering pump and pulley, pressure hoses, rack ends, bearings, cooling lines, power steering fluid reservoir tank.

Should my repair be covered based on the above? From reading up on google to me it sounds like the intermediate shaft is a part of the steering shaft and should be covered but the rep basically said that the word intermediate makes it different and it's not covered - I unfortunately don't know enough about this stuff though to make a proper argument...the rep told me to call the dealer service manager and speak with him but I'm assuming if I call him unsure about stuff he's just going make me feel stupid and will definately not refund me for the work.

Can someone help me out? Is the rep correct that it's not covered? Does it help that bearings are supposedly covered and the part used to fix the problem was a bearing kit?

Thanks in advance

Abeo
11-06-2009, 11:27 PM
The intermediate steering column shaft, in my mind, would be part of the 'steering column shafts and couplings'. Sounds like the rep is blowing smoke up your ass. As always, try posting the year, make and model when asking a Q like that, it helps us answer questions.

dj_rice
11-06-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure about if it falls under it or not but if it does fall under it, it shouldn't be your responsible to collect or even pay for the repair....the service dept should be collecting whatever the you paid from the Warranty Head Office themselves...so I'm confused why your dealer made you pay in the first place and made you try to get a refund under warranty?

oilerfan4lyfe
11-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Sorry about that - it's a 2005 Toyota Camry SE V6

The dealership said it didn't qualify for the Extra Care Warranty and at the time we didn't have a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin or the details of our Extra Care Warranty so we paid for it - came back home and started researching everything and now we don't understand why it's not covered. After that I called Toyota Canada to try to get them to send me a refund and their Customer Service Rep told me that the intermediate shaft is different from the steering shaft and therefore is not covered. He also seemed very reluctant to listen to me though from the moment he knew that I had already paid for the repair.

It's looking like the only shot I'm going to get is trying to convince the service manager that it should have been covered hence why I made the thread - I honestly don't know very much about these parts and one wrong move pretty much means he's gunna try to feed me pure BS and decline my refund request.

dj_rice
11-06-2009, 11:49 PM
If its any consolation, when I'm at work on Monday, I can try and see where the intermediate shaft is on a Nissan/Infiniti and see if thats part of the steering column or not. I'm a Parts Tech and I was dealing with steering column orders today but can't remember the diagram layout in my head

HHURICANE1
11-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Yes, the intermediate shaft is part of the the column. It attaches the upper part of the column to the steering rack.. By the warranty description it should be covered.

dj_rice
11-07-2009, 12:25 AM
If you want proof, pretend to call in to Toyota Parts as a bodyshop, give them a fake bodyorder for your car with all the parts on the steering column, say your not sure if that part your ordering is correct and have them fax you a print out of the diagram, and then bring that in when u see service manager...or try to scrounge a diagram up from Google?

Abeo
11-07-2009, 10:07 AM
http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/public/106058/F894090.gif

number 5 on the diagram

I'd say Toyota is trying to screw you, it looks like a "steering column shaft or coupling" to me, with a knuckle on one end

Zero102
11-07-2009, 10:08 AM
It is part of the steering column. Without it there is no way to adjust the angle between the steering wheel and the input gear of the rack. It is covered under this part "steering column shafts and couplings". Technically since they usually have sealed bearings on them it would also fall under "all internally lubricated mechanical components", or maybe even " bearings". Sounds to me like it's not only covered, it's covered under 3 different sections. Hope his helps :)

oilerfan4lyfe
11-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Wow that's fantastic everyone - I really appreciate your help. Thanks very much! I'll call their service manager and try to get a refund on it - I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again!

oilerfan4lyfe
11-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I talked to a rep at the dealership...the Intermediate shaft thing I got from the phone rep was pretty much pure BS...under the terms I listed it SHOULD be covered. But Toyota released a bulletin in March of this year saying they would no longer cover it under ECP...probably because of the 10 million people who all have had the same problem. Of course if it had gotten fixed last year it woullda been free.

I still think it's BS and if it's a part of the steering column shaft, which it is according to the service tech at the dealer, everyone on beyond, and me, it should be covered. If I snapped the whole fricken shaft then I'd get it replaced for free but obviously I'm not going to do that.

The dealer guy was really nice to me though and offered me a good deal next time I need any work done so I don't wanna give him a bad name...my problem is with Toyota and their bullshit useless warranty - they won't even cover a problem that's their own fricken fault.

I'm not done with this though - It's not just about the $180 anymore, it's about them screwing over their consumers - I'll call their warranty department, their ECP department, their head office and whoever the hell else I have to...I'm just flat out pissed at them.

Anyways thanks for the help everyone.

dj_rice
11-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Glad your getting some results whether it not be the one you want but good luck on your endeavour, and can't believe we all helped you out so much with a username like that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: