PDA

View Full Version : left arm giving out when increasing weights

anhsicun
11-08-2009, 11:33 PM
okay i have a problem, i been doing dumbbell bench press for awhile and currently benching 50 pounds 3 x 8 - 10 wih 1 min rest. i tried to lift a 55 pound wieght casue it been getting to easy with 50, but when i try my left arm gives out and struggle to get the wieghts up safely. once i get it up i can bench it but the initial part of getting the wieght up is reallie hard and hurting my back trying. my right arm can lift it up with no problem but left hand is just giving out. so wat i can i do to make my left arm stronger so i can move up in wieghts.

thanks

A790
11-08-2009, 11:55 PM
It sounds like your stabilizing muscles aren't as developed as your pecs are. This is why you can press it once you have it in position, but have a helluva time getting it there. I experienced the same problem when I was dumbell pressing.

I found that increasing the number of sets I did very beneficial in overcoming this hurdle. I'd keep the weight at fifty and increase the sets to 4 and try that for a few weeks.

Also, be sure to work your upper back and shoulders as well, as they will directly influence your supporting muscle groups as you lift.

TurboD
11-09-2009, 12:54 AM
What seems to help is if you keep your elbows close to your body when you are bringing the weights back.

Check out this video and see how he keeps his elbows in until after he brings the weight down on the first rep.
I was having problems bringing the weight back, but it was because I was trying to bring the weight into a press position from the start before I had control, really hard on the shoulders.

Check your form, try different form with lighter weight until you feel comfortable controlling the weight.

iK3sTWdl1Vg

lint
11-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Try something like this:
AM5Nw_QBA9A

If your first rep is that much more difficult than the subsequent reps (stretch reflex aside) might the problem be that you're not going low enough on your reps? Causing you to have a week bottom position?

anhsicun
11-10-2009, 01:53 AM
thanks ima try to do the "proper dumbbell rack " 1st seems good if that doesn't work i would do what a790 suggested. will report back.

A790
11-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by lint
Try something like this:
AM5Nw_QBA9A

If your first rep is that much more difficult than the subsequent reps (stretch reflex aside) might the problem be that you're not going low enough on your reps? Causing you to have a week bottom position?
Awesome!

... what about incline dumbbell press? :P

lint
11-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by A790

Awesome!

... what about incline dumbbell press? :P

I've always just kicked them up one side at a time from the knees. Getting them down I pretty much do the same as the vid

anhsicun
11-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by A790
It sounds like your stabilizing muscles aren't as developed as your pecs are. This is why you can press it once you have it in position, but have a helluva time getting it there. I experienced the same problem when I was dumbell pressing.

I found that increasing the number of sets I did very beneficial in overcoming this hurdle. I'd keep the weight at fifty and increase the sets to 4 and try that for a few weeks.

Also, be sure to work your upper back and shoulders as well, as they will directly influence your supporting muscle groups as you lift.

total fail when i tried that 2nd video, im sure im doing it wrong but anyways i think ima take a790 advice. btw a790, u suggest doing upper back and shoulders, what back/ shoulder exsercise would be best for my situation.

thanks

A790
11-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by anhsicun

total fail when i tried that 2nd video, im sure im doing it wrong but anyways i think ima take a790 advice. btw a790, u suggest doing upper back and shoulders, what back/ shoulder exsercise would be best for my situation.

thanks
I prefer to do opposite muscle groups. So, I'd do a chest/shoulder day that'd have an incline/flat bench paired with a bent over row or kroc row. I like to do push/pull as I find it is a good way to stimulate a muscle, but avoid DOMS (resulting in shorter workouts). I also try to incorporate workouts that use compound movements that involve my core. French press/shoulder press, stiff leg deadlifts, etc.

:D

Cooked Rice
12-07-2009, 04:38 AM
What I suggest is something called "One and a halfs". It'll help you isolate the weaker parts of your muscles, and help build them up. Really good for working those stabilizers.

All you do is for each rep you normally do, you do one + half a rep. So you do a full movement(1) then come back down halfway and go back up(half). Or do a full movement(1) come back down all the way, and go halfway back up (half). You want to work that weaker part of the muscle with that "half" movement.

So for each rep you do, it's more like one and half. So if it's 10 reps, you will do 10 "one and a halfs". 10 full movements and 10 half movements. Go back to your 50 pounds and try it for a couple of weeks and see if it helps strengthen that left arm to move up to heavier weights.

core_upt
12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by anhsicun

thanks

Practice this with lighter weight - You will need to start in this fashion as you up your weights, so get it down now.

Second, A790 sounds on the mark with stabilizer muscles. How are your triceps? What exercises do you do before DB bench press? I would keep your 50lbs for 4 sets to really solidify this weight, but also work on strengthening your stabilizers, (shoulders, tris). Military press and Arnold press for shoulders are good, dips are the best for tris. (IMHO)

Of course, if all your uncertainty lies in your first few reps, get a spotter. Just knowing someone can bail you out if you start to wither is a big boost to your confidence with that weight in your hands. If you work out alone, ask someone to lend you a spot - most people will gladly help (if they aren't guido dickheads).