PDA

View Full Version : "real" wheel locks??

Thaco
11-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I want to get some wheels for my truck, but i live in the ghetto, so i was wondering if anybody knows if there are there any real wheel locks out there, ones with unique keys, that cant be removed with a gator grip or other crap?

I realize nothing is 100% safe, but there has to be something better than this Chinese crap on ebay.

i need m14x1.5 threads.

gretz
11-09-2009, 11:10 AM
i can make you custom ones if need be

adidas
11-09-2009, 01:45 PM
^^How much would you charge for something like that?

Id be interested for future reference!

AndyL
11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately if a thief can get to the lugnuts (no matter what variety) they can get them off...

You'd think one of these manufacturers would come out with a fancy solid steel centercap with a serious lock on it to prevent people access to the lugnuts - but apparently they make too much from the sale of replacements I'm thinking...

dj_rice
11-09-2009, 01:58 PM
My buddy was telling me a story about this dude he knew that drove a 2008 Hummer H2 and his rims were redonkulously expensive and to combat stealing he used a different wheel lock for each stud.....whether this was true or not, I don't know but :rofl: it might work

88CRX
11-09-2009, 02:06 PM
You need to get some of those new Volk Racing Formula lug nuts where the outsite of the nut spins freely and you need to remove the screw to access the inside of the nut.

http://www.gotuning.com/images/products/Volk_FormulaNutSet_04.thumb_medium

94boosted
11-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Those look baller :eek:

Thaco
11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
You need to get some of those new Volk Racing Formula lug nuts where the outsite of the nut spins freely and you need to remove the screw to access the inside of the nut.

those look great... i wish they'd make something like that that uses a real and unique key.

but it looks like this may be my best bet.

EDIT, looks like that site only sells the 12's not the 14's... i'll have to keep looking.

SCHIDER23
11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
:werd:

I need them now :eek: :D

2EFNFAST
11-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I remove wheel locks anytime I buy a car with them installed - if you look around, i'd say like 80% of vehicles I see have them .... they're so prolific nowadays a rim thief has to know how to pop them off in a matter of seconds.

Originally posted by dj_rice
My buddy was telling me a story about this dude he knew that drove a 2008 Hummer H2 and his rims were redonkulously expensive and to combat stealing he used a different wheel lock for each stud.....whether this was true or not, I don't know but :rofl: it might work

How would that deter a thief - adding a locking lug nut probably makes them take an extra 5 or 6seconds on it. All you've done is given yourself a massive headache when you have to remove them.

Yes, you'll piss them off, and then for good measure they'll probably demolish your ride completely to give you a good 'f you'.

stevieo
11-09-2009, 02:33 PM

the screws on that thing look like it could be opened same way you jam a pen into a bike lock and spin it till it opens haha

Thaco
11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
I remove wheel locks anytime I buy a car with them installed - if you look around, i'd say like 80% of vehicles I see have them .... they're so prolific nowadays a rim thief has to know how to pop them off in a matter of seconds.

How would that deter a thief - adding a locking lug nut probably makes them take an extra 5 or 6seconds on it. All you've done is given yourself a massive headache when you have to remove them.

Yes, you'll piss them off, and then for good measure they'll probably demolish your ride completely to give you a good 'f you'.

it's just like a car alarm, it's not going to stop anybody that really wants your shit... but it will deter some of the less determined thieves.

Same with the lock on the front door of your house, if they want in, it's only an extra 5-6 seconds for them to get in, but i am sure you have one of those ;)

i know the locks are everywhere, that's why i am trying to find some unique ones that maybe the would-be thief is less familiar with.

FiveFreshFish
11-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Wheel locks might give the thief incentive to steal the vehicle.

Thaco
11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Wheel locks might give the thief incentive to steal the vehicle.

i'd rather that than have them steal my wheels, make it worth my insurance deductible.

anyways, i am not here to debate whether or not they're worth anything, i am here to find a good set that is less common.

ercchry
11-09-2009, 02:53 PM
air ride..... every time you park set the car on the ground... no jack is getting under it, it wont get towed and if the controller is hidden it is not getting stolen either

RickDaTuner
11-09-2009, 02:53 PM

As a tech having had to deal with people loosing their locks all the time, I already posses the tools to remove these new style locks as if I had the original key.

Honestly there really isn't much you can do to prevent wheel theft from a pro thief, even if you have a different lock for each stud.

Best thing to do is park your car in a well lit place, which is also highly visible to the public

Thaco
11-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

As a tech having had to deal with people loosing their locks all the time, I already posses the tools to remove these new style locks as if I had the original key.

Honestly there really isn't much you can do to prevent wheel theft from a pro thief, even if you have a different lock for each stud.

Best thing to do is park your car in a well lit place, which is also highly visible to the public

great advice, except

Originally posted by Thaco
but i live in the ghetto

as in my original post.... but, as being a tech, what type would you suggest, i realize nothing will be 100%, but some have to be mroe effective than others against petty thieves.

RickDaTuner
11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
spline drive nuts are the hardest to get off, its really tough to get a good solid bite on those.
All those mc guard star shaped ones are the easiest to get off.
A long time ago back when they used to use hub caps, some manufactures used have an actual key to remove the hub cap to access the nuts.

It would be awesome if wheel manufacturers just made a cover with that type of lock.:thumbsup:

MintRacer
11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
air ride..... every time you park set the car on the ground... no jack is getting under it, it wont get towed and if the controller is hidden it is not getting stolen either

ITZRp4DwDas

ercchry
11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
^^that truck would still be fucking up body parts on my old car with bags empty

wannabelow
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM

not true mines on air ride and they still drove it aired out just didnt get very far and it rides like shit and drags on everthing

wannabelow
11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by MintRacer

ITZRp4DwDas

when you are laying frame and body that tow truck wont work
i would love to see that tow mine aired out

now a crane on the other had would do the trick

but as to the locking lugs just do a different one on each

2EFNFAST
11-09-2009, 09:20 PM
^^that truck would still be fucking up body parts on my old car with bags empty

Fine, then I'll tow you the non-pussy way :thumbsup:

f1-FuMLNMKk

Better? :thumbsup:

theken
11-09-2009, 09:22 PM
city wide has one of those autoloaders, they work fucking amazing

5000Audi
11-09-2009, 10:24 PM
heres the only 100% safe was to leave your car so you dont have to worrie about rims being stolen..

http://rickbranson.com/random/greg_car/gregs_car_on_cinder_blocks.jpg