PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Outback Opinions

sputnik
11-09-2009, 01:29 PM
My wife and I recently added a new member to our family and we are considering getting another vehicle.

We have been considering a used Subaru Outback as it is a decent car for camping but isn't a big SUV or minivan.

- Anyone have any experience with the Outback?
- Any years or models we should avoid?
- Any certain issues that we should look out for?
- Any big repairs that are common on these things?

alloroc
11-09-2009, 02:21 PM
I have a 2005 legacy and love it. Minivans have more storage, but you would be hard pressed to find more *usable* room in an SUV and both get worse gas milage and don't handle nearly as well.

dexlargo
11-09-2009, 02:28 PM
It may not be applicable to the Subaru you are looking at, but up to '99, they were notorious for head gasket problems. Very expensive fix as the horizontally opposed engine puts the heads down low in a cramped space, so to replace them, most places pull the engine out.

The 2000-2004(I think it's '04) ones have been reported to have head gasket problems too, but not nearly as often as the earlier models.

Otherwise, it's a pretty good choice, I think. My father-in-law's Outback is pushing 300,000 km. It's needed maintenance (including the head gaskets), but not more than you'd expect.

My '01 Forrester has been very good also, It's pushing 200,000 km and I've only had to do expected maintenance, including replace the clutch, but I'm starting to get a slow (external only, so far) leak from the head gasket, and I'm told if I get it fixed to expect to pay about $2,000.00. Oil loss is not outside of normal, so I'm not going to fix it right away.

Hash_man
11-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I believe my mother had a 2004 Outback 3.0 with the 6 cylinder fully loaded.

STAY FAR AWAY FROM THESE!!! Thing was a POS. Was a fantastically nice car to drive, amazing in winter time, and fit and finish was quite good. However, if it was between about -10C and +10C the car had issues with not wanting to start and a poor idle.

Subaru was useless at trying to fix this under warranty, at both dealerships in town, so she sold the car and got herself something different. Subaru said it was a known issue with this generation of the Outbacks with the 6cylinder motor but they apparently didn't know how to fix it. They tried replacing the ECU multiple times along with many other things, none of which helped at all.

So ya, if you got one of them in a 4cylinder model it would probably be a very nice vehicle.

Redlyne_mr2
11-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I find Subaru owners are the worst when it comes to maintaining their vehicles. These cars seem to be driven into the ground, look for one with a good service history.

kevie88
11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
I just bought an 02 Leggy Outback on Saturday. So far so good haha.

Needs an inner tie rod end (got one at parts source for $50, I'll put it in tonight) and I suspect a u-joint problem as it has a bassy grumble from 60-90kph. I'll get under there and have a look tonight.

clem24
11-09-2009, 05:14 PM
My 05 Legacy GT has not been an issue. But.. Have you actually tried one/driven on? The Legacy/Outback is smaller than comparable cars in it's class (like Camry, Accord). As a result, it's got much less legroom. If you're bigger, you'll likely have issues fitting into it. Worse than that, since you've JUST added the new addition, they're likely going to need a backward facing infant seat, which takes up even more room. I am 5' 7" and after putting a Graco Snug Ride behind the driver's seat, the seat ended up being just a little too far up than I am used to. Not a big deal for me, but if you're any taller or bigger, than it will become an issue.

Love my Subaru though. No a single issue with it (ok aside from badly designed weather trim piece on the rear door). And regarding the guy that had issues: really, unless it's a WELL KNOWN/DOCUMENTED issue (like the head gasket problem of Gen1 EJ25), EVERY CAR is going to suffer the chance of having any kind of issue that the dealer may not be able to fix. But hey, buy an Outback XT or Legacy GT (I prefer the Legacy for it's lower stance and bigger brakes -- has never been an issue in snow) and not many cars can put a smile on your face quite like it, especially in the winter, at the price point.

I would try a Tribeca (if you like Subarus) or a Magnum SXT (3.5L AWD) if you don't mind Dodge. Just my 2 cents.

That.Guy.S30
11-09-2009, 10:42 PM
we bought a 05 2.5i outback brand new. no problems, just take care of it.
as noted the EJ25 will have headgasket problems but a car that age will need replacement anyways, i dont know what ppl complain about.
subaru fixed the gasket problem after 01.
the older H6 outbacks have VDC, the H4 will not.

DonJuan
11-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I personally love the last model of the Legacy Wagon. I had it pegged as the vehicle that I was going to buy when the additions to the family came. Now I hear about these head gasket issues on the 2.5 turbo engine, which has me a little concerned.

This thread is better with pics:
http://www.carfolio.com/images/dbimages/zgas/models/id/10387/2003_legacy_wagon_spec_b.jpg

alloroc
11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
The gasket issues were in the old model normally aspirated.