PDA

View Full Version : Review: Rush Restaurant

will_e_chill
11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
My wife took me to Rush this weekend for my b-day dinner.

She had been raving about it since she went there for lunch with her work a couple months ago.

Let's just say it was everything that she had hyped it up to be.

It started with complimentary valet service. Of course you feel obligated to tip the guy when you leave but a tip wasn’t required.

I will start with a brief description of the restaurant and then go into the food.

Ambiance/Atmosphere: 10/10

The interior design was sexy. Dark colors, cool atmosphere and killer music with a live DJ spinning. Not sure if they have it every weekend but they had a DJ spinning some funky hip hop instrumental beats. Let’s just say the music was definitely younger and hipper than the majority of the crowd in there. But overall the place did not feel like you’re your typical stuck up, pretentious restaurant in the high end price range.

Food - 9/10

Now on to the food which was fabulous.

They started us with an amuse-bouche which was some thinly chopped chorizo and prawns served with a lentil sauce. For those of you on Beyond who don’t know what an amuse-bouche is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuse-bouche

We were then brought two kinds of bread both made in house. The bread was tasty and the service and presentation were wonderful.

We considered ordering the chef’s tasting menu which looked interesting but we decided to order several dishes on the regular menu instead.

We each ordered appies so that we could share. My wife had the risotto carbonara and I ordered the foie gras casserole. Both were excellent. The risotto was nice and creamy. If you are a fan of carbonara you will enjoy this appetizer. I usually don’t order foie gras but since it was my b-day I thought I’d indulge. The foie gras was prepared very nicely and it went surprisingly well with the blueberries in the dish.

My wife’s main course was spring creek beef duo which consisted of nice piece of braised short rib topped with a hen egg and a sliced flat iron steak served with a side of Maitake mushrooms. I thought the flat iron steak was a perfectly cooked medium rare and the sauce that it was served with was superb.

My main course was Maitake mushrooms on a bed of mashed potatoes served with edamame. I’ve been trying to eat more vegetarian for health reason so that’s why I ordered this dish. It was tasty but in hindsight I should have ordered a more substantial entrée. This is the only reason I did not give the food a 10 but this was more of because of my choice of main than the food itself.

Pricing - 8/10

We also ordered a side of rosemary and pecorino fries, which were some very tasty fries. Albeit they better have been for $7 for a side of fries. This is a high end restaurant so be prepared to drop some dough. Our bill for the meal was about $180 including tip for 2 people which I think is reasonable for a high end restaurant but we did not order any drinks. I would say this was good value for money when compared to other high end restaurant in town such as Capo or Teatro.

I can’t forget about the dessert which was a fine ending to a first class meal. Their dessert is structured according to flavors. So you can order a vanilla or apple or chocolate or blueberry or banana dessert. We ordered the apple and banana desserts. The apple was basically a small apple pastry served with a scoop of gelato. I think they call it gelato because it sounds nicer than ice cream. But it was a very good apple pie with ice cream even if it did cost $10. I thought the apple was better than the banana. The banana dessert was three different preparations of the theme. It was a very interesting concept. Similar to what you would see on one of those fancy cooking show.

Service - 9/10

The service was top notch. Everyone was very attentive but not over bearing and still friendly which is tough to do in high end restaurants. Sometimes the servers think they need to be a little pretentious which I disagree with but that is another rant. The only reason I didn’t give it a 10 was that one waiter seemed a bit weird in a socially inept kind of way but his service was still very good.

Overall - 9/10

I would thoroughly recommend Rush to anyone who wants to enjoy a fine meal in a fine establishment. If I were making Rage money I would eat here regularly.

cet
11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
I went to Rush a couple of weeks ago and just sat in the lounge for some appetizers/dinner. It was really, really good and not badly priced.

smurfette
11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
My husband took me to RUSH after having lunch there with his co workers. I agree, the service was great and not over bearing. They also gave me a purse "hanger", so I didn't have to put my purse on the floor. The food was AMAZING!

clem24
11-10-2009, 01:05 PM
My co-worker raved about the service, but :eek: at the price tag. LOL to will_e_chill for wanting to take on a healthier life style but ordering foie gras!! :rofl:

Thanks for the review. I am always on the look out for great Calgary eateries.

katm
02-04-2010, 03:01 PM
The hamburger at Rush is AMAZING! I have never had such a good burger before in my life. It is definitly recommended - melt in your mouth good!!!