PDA

View Full Version : car audio concerns. HELP

jscivic
11-18-2003, 09:38 PM
[email protected][/EMAIL]

Hey guys and girls.
I was recently at International Stereo and this guy was being all up offering me deals and shit. He said he could hook me up with 2, 12" ALPINE typeR's, ALPINE 600W amp, box for the subs and an ALPINE deck for $1000. I just want to know what you guys think. Is he pissin around with me or is this a good deal? All this stuff is brand new as well if i didn't mention that.
Your imput would be awsome, if you could help me out.

davidI
11-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Depends on the deck I guess but overall I wouldn't say it's that great of a deal.

I could sell you 2 concept 12's that sound like Type R's for $200, you could buy an amp off of here for $300 or even less that would pump the hell out of them and that leaves you $500 or more for a deck...

)v(ortal
11-18-2003, 10:18 PM
decent...but poor... well its good for now till my buddys company gets up and running...ass for now i can get...

2 12" type-r's dvc, an amazing box, amp(PG tantrum 500.2)... for around 650$-700$ from soundsaround... and u can get a really nice dekc for 150-200$ easily there...

-db

oh wat amp u get with that?

aftermarket
11-18-2003, 10:25 PM
One piece of advice......turn around, walk out of International Stereo, go somewhere else. Before they try to sell you some dumb lame-ass home theatre speakers. Go to a reputable shop that can offer you some good advice and knowledge. They'll also most likely make you a sweet deal too.:thumbsup:

IS is the worst place to buy from from what I've seen and heard.

jscivic
11-18-2003, 10:57 PM
ok thats cool. the amp he was offering was Alpine by the way. Ive never delt with IS before so if your telling me they should just piss off thats good enough for me. when i get 500$ togther I'll get ahold of you, davidI. where would be a good place to get that installed? and how much would it run me? Ive heard good things about audio concepts. thanks for the imput guys.:thumbsup:

rc2002
11-19-2003, 09:55 AM
I'd recommend you to get the model numbers of the subs, amp, and deck and check them out at other stores or online. $1000 isn't bad at all though.

Is the amp 600Wrms or 600Wmax? All that matters is rms because that's the average power. 600Wmax translates into about 350Wrms which probably wouldn't be very good for powering two 12" Alpine type R's.

)v(ortal
11-19-2003, 10:46 AM
soundsaround 32ave, talk to Drew, and tell him danny sent you!! and tell him about IS

-db

davidI
11-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by jscivic
ok thats cool. the amp he was offering was Alpine by the way. Ive never delt with IS before so if your telling me they should just piss off thats good enough for me. when i get 500$ togther I'll get ahold of you, davidI. where would be a good place to get that installed? and how much would it run me? Ive heard good things about audio concepts. thanks for the imput guys.:thumbsup:

Installing yourself is always the most rewarding. It's really not that hard but building a box can be time consuming. The only reason to get something professionally installed is to keep the warranty and if you're buying used that is not too big of a deal.

jscivic
11-19-2003, 07:55 PM
well i'll give it a shot. the amp was likely 600Wmax so im glad you told me that as well. the guy that talked to me sure didn't mention that kind of difference in power. thanks for the tip i would have been screwed. and if i just can't figure out the install myself, ill go to Drew on 32Ave for sure. 'preicate the imput guys

)v(ortal
11-19-2003, 08:19 PM
ya man drew should hook u up good, just tell him danny sent u up to him

-db

hondarunner
11-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by jscivic
well i'll give it a shot. the amp was likely 600Wmax so im glad you told me that as well. the guy that talked to me sure didn't mention that kind of difference in power. thanks for the tip i would have been screwed. and if i just can't figure out the install myself, ill go to Drew on 32Ave for sure. 'preicate the imput guys
international stereo tends to do that.
i walked in there one day, pretending as if i didn't know what the hell was going on just looking for the system. The guy tried to sell me 2 mrv-m100's (not even the digital mrd model) to power 2 10" alpine type r's (which have a peak power of 300 watts rms) and was asking for 4 bills saying that was a steal. After i set him strait he just looked at me in awe and i just walked out and never went back.

)v(ortal
11-19-2003, 10:34 PM
ahahah, thats how u have to do things.... act all stupid be like really to everything they say and accually like ask them retarded questoin.. act like u know nothing... and see if they rip you off! i went to soundsaround 32ave and done this.... but they answered every question right and gave me a steal of a deal...wen the type-r first came out they was bout... 300$?? (i think) or 320... i got a floor modle type-r box (that had a LITTLE chip in it, and that was it) i got a 10" type-r (new in box) and the box for i htink 300$...that was from Drew.... good guy.. well thats just wat i do

-db

davidI
11-19-2003, 10:57 PM
The best was me and Bumpn'WRX went into international and talked to one of the guys and he was trying to tell us about stereo shit...He was trying to tell us that Type R's were the greatest thing ever etc. etc. so finally he asked us what we thought was good:

Bumpn': Well, it depends if you want SQ or SPL?

Sales Guy: Yea, SPL's...those are awesome.

illeagle
11-19-2003, 11:07 PM
International stereo's not bad, it's just some of the employees that suck, I walked in there and this old guy was helping me, and wasen't taking me seriously, acting like i was wasting his time, so i looked around in there, and bought a full home theater system, with the T.V., and DVD player from one of the nicer sales people,... man, i'd pay money to see the look on that guy's face again, - :eek:

Weapon_R
11-20-2003, 12:25 AM
That seems like a good deal but we cannot tell you anything until you find out exactly what you want.

You are getting 2 12" Type R's
One Deck
One Amplifier
Box

Now considering you cannot get 12" R's for less than $200, that brings our total to $400. A decent box for these will run you over $100, especially if its the actual Alpine box.

We are at $500.

With the other $500 you have to work with, either you are getting a crazy deal or something not up to par.

I've never seen a newer alpine deck for less than $200, and i'd even guess that many mid-upper range alpines are more. That would leave you $200-300 to work with for an amp. The only amp I can think of that you could get for that price is ... Nothing. Nothing for that price will properly power your 2 12's. For that price, you are going to get something like a 300 watt, older gen alpine (not even the 300 watt digitals [mrd-m300] are going for that price. It just doesn't add up

link785
11-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by )v(ortal
ya man drew should hook u up good, just tell him danny sent u up to him

-db

Once again, we have to ask for this particular installer, otherwise we will get shitty ass service at Soundsaround :rolleyes:

I say go to A&B Sound, or Visions.

)v(ortal
11-20-2003, 11:05 AM
nah.... u can get a pg tantrum 500.2 and the type-rs in a box for 700$.. well i know i can.. might be 750$ or a bit cheaper...

and no not really all thre installers there are good.... cuz they used to be more less 1 good installer in all stores.... sorry i wasnt more straight in the other thread... soundsaround went around calgary to all the audio stores got all the good installers and the good custom fiber glass guys.... any ways they paid them more thenthey got paid at the other shops well got offered.... and 1 installer that used to work at mobile concepts.. worked at soundsaround but i think hes not with anyone right now....but he was like 1 of the best installers incalgary... that was known... i think they had the top 3 there... i know they had the second best but w.e ... jjust bash me some more fucker

Oh, Drews not an installer hes the manager...
-db

link785
11-20-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by )v(ortal
i know they had the second best but w.e ... jjust bash me some more fucker

Oh, Drews not an installer hes the manager...
-db

Misconception. I'm not bashing you, I'm bashing Sounsaround because of previous bad experience.

rc2002
11-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Bumpn': Well, it depends if you want SQ or SPL?

Sales Guy: Yea, SPL's...those are awesome.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Where can I get some SPL's from? Hahahaha.

rc2002
11-20-2003, 12:51 PM
I bought almost my whole system from Soundsaround. The sales guys are usually the ones who rip you off not the installers.

For installing my alarm the sales guy was like "It'll be $10 to hook up your signals, and $10 for starter kill, and $10 for the LED, and $10 to program each button on the remote... etc. etc." Then I talked to the installer who was a really nice guy and he said that he'd do it all for free.

The best thing to do: Go to places like Soundsaround and International Stereo and ask them to quote you prices. Then say it's too expensive and that you saw it cheaper at another store. Then start to walk out of the store and I GUARANTEE that they will lower their price. Repeat this process until they don't go any lower... :)

)v(ortal
11-20-2003, 01:56 PM
its becouse some guys in there are just hurtin to make some bucks... every were u go ull always get a salesman that will try and rip you off.... and ther is accually a sub called SPL... there accually decent too... just ot let u know

-db