PDA

View Full Version : ADD suppressants??

JfuckinC
11-10-2009, 11:19 AM
How do you guys feel about ADD suppressants being used for adults? Anyone have any experience with any? If so which ones? Did you just see a regular doctor about it?

hoyles
11-10-2009, 11:28 AM
It's an old technique called "Five across the Eyes"

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0802/bitch-slap-bitch-slap-demotivational-poster-1202681530.jpg

RaptorGJC
11-10-2009, 11:39 AM
I've used Dexedrine for school, but I don't have ADD. It helps me out when I need to buckle down to study, do homework etc. Not really needed for anything else and it's easy enough to get. Just tell your doc that you need it for studying.

Just don't take it at night or you'll never sleep... Unless you don't plan on sleeping

JfuckinC
11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Nah it'd just be for work, i have tremendous trouble focusing lol... its really starting to affect my performance...

Criticull
11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Get a referral for a psychiatrist and they'll put you on stimulants if you want them...amphetamine side effects can be bad though over time depending on how you react...

RawB8figure
11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Thought this may help. Its a documentary called ADD and Loving It

http://news.globaltv.com/Loving/2009300/story.html

Hash_man
11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Criticull is right, go see a psychiatrist.

I tried ADD drugs and none of them helped me... some people find they do though but there are loads of different ones.

Ukyo8
11-10-2009, 01:44 PM
stop doing drugs and your brain damage will heal over time :nut:

sk8r3124
11-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I am still on Ritalin, Use it to study right now.
AFIK, ADD was overly diagnosed for a while there, so it is alot harder to get a prescription. I started back in jr. high, and I had to see 2 psych's before they diagnosed it. Plus its alot harder to a hold of because its a controlled substance. But I can guarantee you can find someone on a university campus that would be willing to sell you some.

Vagabond142
11-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I used to be on dexedrine through High School, and Cylert (US only drug now) and Ritalin before that.

Now, I use willpower mostly... although I will probably try to get back on dexedrine for my final semester at SAIT. :thumbsup:

Criticull
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM
adderall/dexadrine > ritalin, but with great power comes great responsibility lol

JfuckinC
11-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Yah i'm going to go talk to someone, i want to be more productive and not so distracted/lazy. :dunno:

Criticull
11-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Honestly, I don't know of anyone who doesn't have problems with being distracted and lazy. IMO, most people have some form of ADD, some just act out more than others. Especially when it comes to things that are not obviously stimulating.

Interwebs, tv, video games, and ipod are obviously stimulating, most people love that shit inc. myself.

I think exposure to these stimulae has made it harder for this generation (30ish and younger) to pay attention to slower moving targets (books, written work, single-tasking). It just seems obvious that constant satisfaction from rapid fire visual/auditory stimulae are going to do that.

The ways around it can include prescriptions, but getting properly assessed is really important. ADD drugs (speed) can help some who really need it, but the issue is that it makes everybody more focused, so it's hard to tell who really needs it. Some people who feel like they have symptoms of ADD tend to go without drugs and try to train themselves to be more productive. Keep that in mind when you go to the psychiatrist, they might tell you the same thing. Good luck.

Disclaimer: this was all anecdotal/opinion, i'm not a doctor yo.

halfer
11-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Try concerta it's a slow release form of Ritalin and work's very well. If it doesn't work for you move up to addreal (sp?)

JfuckinC
11-13-2009, 10:37 AM
No i do agree, the amount of distractions these days are tremendous. I barely made it through highschool cause of this though lol.
I'm intelligent and what not, i just DON'T focus. I get super anxious and shit too sitting still all day. And i get super hyper sometimes. It's quite strange actually haha..

Well i guess its about time to try and solve the problem? I like my job, so i want to focus and accel as much as possible. Just wanted to see if anyone had any serious problems with such a thing.

Disoblige
11-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm glad this thread has come about because I've been suffering from similar issues of not being able to focus since I've started university.

I was just wondering if there is something out there that you can buy without prescriptions that is NOT cold medication or something so I can see if it may help me or not. I don't want to take a prescribed drug and get hooked onto it.

Criticull
11-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I'm glad this thread has come about because I've been suffering from similar issues of not being able to focus since I've started university.

I was just wondering if there is something out there that you can buy without prescriptions that is NOT cold medication or something so I can see if it may help me or not. I don't want to take a prescribed drug and get hooked onto it.

What I found that worked in university was drinking coffee and studying at the library. Nothing else was as effective. My place had a tv, computer, foosball, roommates, hot neighbours, etc. I had to find a way to get out of all that, but I couldn't sit in a quiet corner in the library cuz I would literally pass out on the desk. The place that ended up working was near the entrance of the library, where I could see people walking around and there was some distraction to satisfy ADD, but only enough to keep me alert, so that I could still focus on what I was doing.

dandia89
11-13-2009, 05:40 PM
i remember using dex last year for finals, man that stuff really fucked with me. my dreams were so vivid of something so trivial. it really put me in a bad state of mind and i doubt most people even need that shit

slinkie
11-13-2009, 06:39 PM
^ lol better stay away from real drugs then ...

derpderp
11-14-2009, 12:27 AM