PDA

View Full Version : GF's Bday, except shes a veggie...

cycosis
11-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Alright, so its the GF's birthday and I want to take her out for a nice night out and a fancy dinner. Problem is she a vegetarian. I know. Lame.

Regardless, most restaurants only have 2-3 veggie alternatives that arn't really all that great... basically salad. I've taken her to veggie only places like The Coup on 17th but theres nothing for me (the carnivore).

So... suggestions?

The_Rural_Juror
11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Most decent places should be able to come up with a vegetarian selection if you give them notice. Call around and ask?

jwslam
11-10-2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.orchidroom.ca/

just google 'calgary vegetarian'

cycosis
11-10-2009, 02:03 PM
^thx

jwslam
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
^thx
remember to do an official beyond review =)

JfuckinC
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
don't be so selfish, take her to a veg place, its her birthday not yours :poosie: (this from a man who wont eat a meal with out meat hahaha)

cycosis
11-10-2009, 02:12 PM
^ im not trying to be selfish, thats why i dont want to take her to a normal restaurant that "can make up a veggie plate" but at the same time, some all-veggie restaurants are gross shit man. I dont see why both of us cant have fun...

sputnik
11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Most vegetarians are able to usually find something that suits their lifestyle/ideology choice at most restaurants.

Crymson
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
i bet the garlic clove on 4th st has good vegitarian stuff, or an indian place. Namskar on 16th near centre street is great. Lots of veggetarian indian food.

GQBalla
11-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Check out Sultans Tent.

its in kensington and they serve morocan (sp) food.

pretty cool experience, dark and stuff

they serve tons of vegetarian options.

JfuckinC
11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
^ im not trying to be selfish, thats why i dont want to take her to a normal restaurant that "can make up a veggie plate" but at the same time, some all-veggie restaurants are gross shit man. I dont see why both of us cant have fun...

haha im just buggin man, i couldn't imagine eating at a veg only restaurant :barf:

ExtraSlow
11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Indian is usually good for vegetarians.
Anapurna is 100% veggie, and darned tasty to boot.
Anapurna (http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&resnum=0&q=annapurna%20calgary&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

There's also Buddas Veggie on Macleod, but I've never been there.

canadiandaytona
11-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Coup on 17th!

alloroc
11-10-2009, 02:58 PM
.... I've taken her to veggie only places like The Coup on 17th but theres nothing for me (the carnivore).

So... suggestions?

Originally posted by canadiandaytona
Coup on 17th!

:nut:

GQBalla
11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

There's also Buddas Veggie on Macleod, but I've never been there.

its gross ahahah

nothing beats authentic chinese.

nonlinear
11-10-2009, 03:02 PM
+2 for the orchid room. their location is IMO terrible, so i've only been there about 6 or 7 times, but every time has been great. AWESOME asian fusion.

it's just that it's in bankers hall, so when you go for dinner everything is closed and the building is desolate and you feel like there was some virus outbreak and your party is the only people alive on earth haha.

DJ_NAV
11-11-2009, 01:45 AM
do not go to buddha's!! u have been warned.

Isaiah
11-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Moroccan Castle is solid and has quite a few vegetarian options with some flair and wicked ambience for a cozy night. Also, quite a unique experience. I've been there a few times and reviewed them here quite some time ago:

Review here (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/166707/review-moroccan-castle/)

Kardon
11-11-2009, 02:28 AM
Yeah me and my GF have been the coop and to buddhas.. Total opposites of the typical vegetarian. Buddha's seems VERY sketchy, food is usually very bland and kinda jelly.. I'll never know how they make that veggie ginger beef. Coop was gross too, but it was just the nasty breakfast. Menu seemed pretty bleh...

Danny Meehan
11-11-2009, 02:40 AM
North African restaurants would be able to satisfy her cravings. Algerian / Moroccan recommended

szw
11-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Italian...you can find a nice restaurant with a few good veggie options. Depends how strict she is though I guess. Is she ok with chicken stock which might be used in a mushroom risotto or something?

Idratherbsidewayz
11-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Moroccan castle rocks. You might need to man up a bit as some things there are pretty spicy, but really good.

And to finish off a lovely evening, PIITB. Everybody wins!!

msommers
11-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Another for Moroccan Castle....soooo good!

nj2Type-S
11-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
do not go to buddha's!! u have been warned.

i would like to know why not to go there. coincidentally, a co-worker of mine just recommended this place to me a few minutes ago. care to elaborate? :dunno:

clem24
11-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S

i would like to know why not to go there. coincidentally, a co-worker of mine just recommended this place to me a few minutes ago. care to elaborate? :dunno:

Basically if you like eating "fake" food, then by all means go. Otherwise, stay away. They simulate meat, like beef and shrimp, by using meat substitutes of stuff. It sort of-kind-of-looks like it, texture is usually waaaaaaay off, pop in some coloring (the shrimp has insane amounts of coloring) and add in tons of flavourings (I can only assume artificial) until it sort of tastes like it. Usually made of some kind of wheat gluten or similar. I suppose the idea is neat until you actually think about it.

My inlaws love this place, but I think it's fucking sick (I don't mean that in a good way). And expensive too.

+1 for Indian places.

GQBalla
11-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Basically if you like eating "fake" food, then by all means go. Otherwise, stay away. They simulate meat, like beef and shrimp, by using meat substitutes of stuff. It sort of-kind-of-looks like it, texture is usually waaaaaaay off, pop in some coloring (the shrimp has insane amounts of coloring) and add in tons of flavourings (I can only assume artificial) until it sort of tastes like it. Usually made of some kind of wheat gluten or similar. I suppose the idea is neat until you actually think about it.

My inlaws love this place, but I think it's fucking sick (I don't mean that in a good way). And expensive too.

+1 for Indian places.

QFT

its pretty gross

DJ_NAV
11-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Buddha is gross... and its not healthy(at least from the looks of it... it looks really greasy with coloring etc). A lot of vegetarians are also health cautious... so this would not be a place to go from that standpoint.

will_e_chill
11-19-2009, 11:21 AM
I had a bad experience with poor service at Moroccan Castle so I would not recommend it.

We had a big group so that could have been part of the reason but I did not find the food all that memorable either.

If you want to drop some cash, I would suggest Rush which I recently reviewed.

They have some vegetarian options on the menu. You should be able to check it out online.

ekguy
11-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona
Coup on 17th!

This!!! Best sweet potato wedges I've ever had in my life. Also Moroccan Castle is hit and miss. It's very nice for a couple though, very private and cozy.

300zxfairlday
11-21-2009, 03:34 PM
im looking for the best vegetarian restaurant in downtown. any suggestions?

swak
11-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Big T's on Crowchild.

Do it... You wont.

HondaKid
11-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by clem24

+1 for Indian places.

I agree with this review, having spent a month in Taiwan and eating nothing but the real deal in Taiwan/Chinese veggie food I can say Buddha is brutal. Not a day goes by that I do not think about the Taiwan dishes, man they can cook on that island.

HondaKid
11-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I would recommend the Route 40 Soup Company in Turner Valley, I have been there three times and a half dozen other food functions where they were the food providers. The chef's name is Lanny and he is about as passionate about food as anyone I have met.

They have plenty of veggie dishes and meat as well. Give them a call.

I should add they are way more than a soup company, the soups are great really they are so much more than about soups which they retail as well all over the place.

http://www.route40.ca/