PDA

View Full Version : Google Search Results

swg
11-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Hey, how do you get your website to be one of the first hits on Google when you search key words/ products, or company name? :dunno:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Threaten to sue Beyond.ca.

But seriously, I have no idea, ask A790.

FraserB
11-11-2009, 12:49 AM
He doesn't want his life ruined, just some publicity.

swg
11-11-2009, 12:51 AM
you guys are useless.

Boat
11-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Its a term called Search Engine Optimization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

You can do some of it yourself (see the "Methods" section on the wiki), or there are companies that specialize in this, a few of which are located in Calgary IIRC.

Do you have a website already, or just wondering?

Isaiah
11-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

:rofl: Perfect!

I believe it's called 'search engine optimization' and it works by programming meta tags that link your site to others so it appears to have more traffic than it actually does as google includes the hits (traffic) from all the other sites in its ranking.

chkolny541
11-11-2009, 01:05 AM

But seriously, I have no idea, ask A790.
lolololoolol gold!!

A790
11-11-2009, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

:rofl: Perfect!

I believe it's called 'search engine optimization' and it works by programming meta tags that link your site to others so it appears to have more traffic than it actually does as google includes the hits (traffic) from all the other sites in its ranking.
It is indeed called Search Engine Optimization. SEO is the lifeblood of my business. If you have any questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer them.

Meta tag descriptions are just one of hundreds of factors that play a part in determining where a website is ranked. Back in the early-late 90's, Meta Tag's were the game. Then Google comes in and single handedly changes everything. Good old Google... sometimes I feel like everything I do is for them.

Google DOES NOT rank based on traffic. Google has effectively made one thing very clear: it ranks based on what it perceives as "trust". The more Google "trusts" your website, the better it will be ranked for competitive keyword terms. Trust is, for the most part, generated by age, incoming quality links, and content. Have lots of those three factors and your site will rank.

Of course, there are ways to get a NEW site to rank as well. I suppose I should say that making Google trust me is the lifeblood of my business. :P

95teetee
11-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by A790

It is indeed called Search Engine Optimization. SEO is the lifeblood of my business. If you have any questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer them.

Meta tag descriptions are just one of hundreds of factors that play a part in determining where a website is ranked. Back in the early-late 90's, Meta Tag's were the game. Then Google comes in and single handedly changes everything. Good old Google... sometimes I feel like everything I do is for them.

Google DOES NOT rank based on traffic. Google has effectively made one thing very clear: it ranks based on what it perceives as "trust". The more Google "trusts" your website, the better it will be ranked for competitive keyword terms. Trust is, for the most part, generated by age, incoming quality links, and content. Have lots of those three factors and your site will rank.

Of course, there are ways to get a NEW site to rank as well. I suppose I should say that making Google trust me is the lifeblood of my business. :P ok, how do you get images to rank high under google searches?

KKY
11-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
ok, how do you get images to rank high under google searches?
basically similar to ranking pages. age of domain, inbound links, surrounding content, alt tag, etc...

Lex350
11-11-2009, 01:37 AM

hahahha....THat made me laugh....thanks

A790
11-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by 95teetee
ok, how do you get images to rank high under google searches?
Google image searches are much more keyword based than anything at this point. Having the image title as the keyword, along with the alt= tag being the keyword, will cause it to appear to be more relevant and hence rank higher.