PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Dampproofing

alsinha
11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
We are in the process of building a new home through Beattie Homes. I noticed the black tar stuff applied to the exterior of foundation wall, along wth weeping tiles. I was under the impression that they would have some form of plastic wrap around the foundation for waterproofing, but they are not going to be doing that. The area manager told me that the dampproofing applied is adequate. Anyone else built a home recently that was dampproofed but not waterproofed?

Kloubek
11-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Interesting you should mention this. We are building a home as well, and they only put the plastic wrap on there, and no black tar.

Maybe either are considered adequate for this climate...

alsinha
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
A buddy of mine is building through Excel and they applied both layers. I'm concerned that the dampproofing alone may not be good enough but I really have no clue. Not that they're gonna change anything anyways since they've already filled half of the dug ground with gravels...

tylere
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm pretty sure the tar is just the basic requirement and all that the builder is required to do by code. You would likely have to upgrade your damproofing and they would likely install something like Delta MS wrap or similar.

alsinha
11-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah I guess so. Either that or maybe it depends on what area of the city they're working in...? In either case, it would have been nice if they had offered me the 'upgrade' cuz I probably would have opted to get the Delta MS Wrap...Too late now.

quazimoto
11-11-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd be surprised if he has both, he might think he does but if they take that poly off you'll see bare cement. I am fairly certain cardel just uses the basic poly as well and they don't apply the tar.

I would be absurdly shocked if Excel homes used both as they are one of the worst builders in our province.

to put your mind at ease roughly 90% of the homes in Calgary are just tar sprayed, cedar glen, morrison homes, beattie, etc in new brighton do this. Cardel uses basic poly.

D. Dub
11-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Tar is usually fine unless your area has an unusually high water table

Kloubek
11-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto

I would be absurdly shocked if Excel homes used both as they are one of the worst builders in our province.

to put your mind at ease roughly 90% of the homes in Calgary are just tar sprayed, cedar glen, morrison homes, beattie, etc in new brighton do this. Cardel uses basic poly.

Really? On my house, they are definitely using the Delta product.... (I went with Centrex, but I'm guessing it follows the same standards as Excel)

sputnik
11-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Delta wrap is overkill for most areas in Calgary.

I would only use it if I lived in an area prone to flooding.

alsinha
11-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah, we're building in New Brighton. Guess I can take some solace from the fact that all other houses being built in the area only seem to be getting tar-sprayed...