PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle from US - Resell Value

nnnnny
11-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I am looking buying a vehicle from the US. I have been warned a couple of times that the resale value of an US vehicle is going to worth nothing once have imported from the US.

Can anyone tell me a little more about this?

Weapon_R
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Resale is fine in my experience. Some dealers and picky buyers don't take them, but I don't think I've ever had any issues unloading my U.S. cars. Of course, I price them well to reflect my own savings so that might be some reason why.

tentacles
11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by nnnnny
I am looking buying a vehicle from the US. I have been warned a couple of times that the resell value of an US vehicle is going to worth nothing once have imported from the US.

Can anyone tell me a little more about this? Is it a good time for importing or buying used US vehicle?

If they were worth nothing, then why don't you just buy an imported car here, for nothing? :confused:

Xtrema
11-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Some dealers and picky buyers don't take them.

I think that's the reason why US cars always sell for less, less resell outlet.

And nobody will pay for Canadian resell price on a US car unless it's rare or seller lies.

nnnnny
11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by tentacles

If they were worth nothing, then why don't you just buy an imported car here, for nothing? :confused:

If I can easily find one in Canada I would buy them but I don't see any in the market. Read my post I am asking about resale value/

sputnik
11-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
And nobody will pay for Canadian resell price on a US car unless it's rare or seller lies.

This.

A US car resale value in Canada will ALWAYS be lower than that of an identical Canadian car.

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Yep a lot of dealers won't take a US car in on trade. It's also much more difficult to sell a US car, they generally take quite a while unless they're aggressively priced. People save money in the front end by paying less for the car but loose it in the backend when they try to sell the car later on.

What kind of vehicle is it?

Kloubek
11-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Personally, I might be inclined to PREFER a southern-us vehicle - as they do not salt their roads.

I don't think most people really care much in the end; though
a) They don't like MPH being the larger numbers, and
b) They don't like the idea of someone profiting off them. (Buying cheap in the US, and selling for more here)

C4S
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
It depends .. if it is a 10 yr old civic .. probably no different ..

If it is a Porsche, Ferrari, M3, M5, M6, RS4 .. will hv some different for sure ...

Not that much different, depends on condition and history, probably only $5K or 10% different when you sell it.

But .. you probably cannot trade it.

funkedelic2
11-11-2009, 03:43 PM
You save on money on buying in the US, when it comes time to sell they want to save as well. Like other people stated, it depends on the car itself. If its rarer or is a special edition or hard color combo to find in Canada, then you might have better luck with resale.

I don't get why really? Car's here are priced higher to start off with then they are in the US. Lots of Cars in Canada are driven in the winter, exposed to extreme temperature and salt roads. Many cars you can find on a dealer lot are bought from Ontario/Quebec which have a lot of undercarriage rust, yet the dealer bought them from next to nothing since vehicles from out there are cheaper and they won't take US vehicles on trade? :nut:

Buying local will always be prefered i guess.

Weapon_R
11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

b) They don't like the idea of someone profiting off them. (Buying cheap in the US, and selling for more here)

/story.

Everyone knows cars are cheaper there, and they don't pay full market value because they know you didn't. At the end of the day, if you save enough and price it right, you lose very little when it comes time to sell if you decide to swap cars on a yearly basis.

mr2mike
11-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes, but these people are not taking into consideration shipping, personal time into research, broker fees and taxes (green tax, a/c tax, duty, gst).

It's like saying, I'm not buying your house for $100,000 more because I know you bought it off a friend for a good deal less and did all the upgrades yourself and saved money not paying a contractor.

Ya I know they're cheaper but the car you'll be reselling will have no rust at 10 years old, it's not a bad trade off to buy a US car off someone and people should think about that.

Rust is one of the biggest reasons cars don't last longer than 250,000kms. It destroys the undercarriage, exhaust, fenders and suspension components.

I can change the dash over to KM/h to resell but I doubt that will help anything.

Xtrema
11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
Many cars you can find on a dealer lot are bought from Ontario/Quebec which have a lot of undercarriage rust, yet the dealer bought them from next to nothing since vehicles from out there are cheaper and they won't take US vehicles on trade? :nut:

Resale of Ontraio/Quebec cars are just as bad. Dealers sometimes can pass it off where the cancer has barely started. But once rust sets in, you'll get no buyers unless it's priced like an US car.

C4S
11-12-2009, 12:19 AM
I guess it doesn't matter if we AGREE or NOT ...

It is the fact that, US grey import cars have lower resell value.

Just like I don't agree with higher price for chinese food here compare to Vancouver and Toronto .. but what can I do ? :dunno: