PDA

View Full Version : Silverado Peeps - Your thoughts?

cannondale1
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Looking for anyone who resides in Silverado in the SW..... Any feedback is appreciated. Commute, types of people there, etc...

TIA

Anton
11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Lived in Silverado for a year and moved haha.

Depends where you work to be honest. Great community for a family if you work somewhere south. Really nice people, lots of young families.

Pretty much all you need is there: shopping, restaurants, pubs, gyms, golf courses, etc.

Keep in mind that it's a pretty new area so lots of construction. I gave up on washing my car. Can't ever sleep in, even Saturdays and Sundays and it will be like that was for a while.

If you work downtown, like my ex did, she was always pissed off. Trains would always be down when it was super cold out. Commute is long and the trains get PACKED. If you drive to work, like I did, rush hour or snow days are a write off...just stay home.

Supa Dexta
11-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah thats the one issue... I've been hangout there some, and if you want to get to DT or anywheres really, you have a long hike to deerfoot, or contend with macleod the whole way.

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Way to far from anything with cheap real estate to you get all kinds.

ekguy
11-11-2009, 06:16 PM
I live in Chaparal which is across Macloud trail from Silverado and what everyone is saying is true. It's a bitch to get anywhere from this deep in the south if you work near or around downtown.

My sister get's to work quicker than her husband and she works in okotoks. He works downtown and his work happens to be 10 feet away from a ctrain station...So keep that in mind.

masoncgy
11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I managed over 100 new homeowner accounts in Silverado over the course of 18 months... so I got to know that area inside and out as I was always down there.

It's a really poor location unless you work in the far south end of town. Commutes to the SE Industrial, downtown, NE, etc are terrible, especially in the winter.

It's a water conservation first community, so your shower heads, toilets, etc are all low flow... along with the low maintenance landscaping that's on the cheap side... good options for some people, others absolutely hate it.

Just about all the homeowners I dealt with ended up flipping their houses immediately or selling a year later... maybe a handful still actually reside in Silverado.

Personally, I don't like Silverado... there are far better communities to purchase in.

cannondale1
11-11-2009, 09:37 PM
^ That is interesting that the some owners were flipping them.

I took a look at a gorgeous new home there tonight and I believe they want out and have never lived in it. Too bad.

masoncgy
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
^ Yeah, it was between 2007 & 2008 too... so I watched the neighborhood make a batch of people some big money, and another batch of people very broke...

Every time I look on MLS in Silverado, I recognize a good chunk of the addresses... some of the homes have already been sold more than once too...

There are a couple of very nicely finished homes in there, but for the most part, spec packages.

cannondale1
11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
That wouldn't surprise me.......

Btw, here was the unit we looked at tonight

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8845265

masoncgy
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
hahahaha... I was just looking at that listing... one of my old accounts, it's an Avi Concept home... the Devin...

That particular home is nicely finished... just remember it's a very small floor plan... you don't have a dining area other than that big breakfast bar... the fireplace takes a lot of the living room.

At least it has the loft upstairs instead of the 3rd bedroom, talk aout a claustrophic hallway up top when that 3rd bedroom is finished... lol.

I bet you could score it for less than $329,900... ;)

cannondale1
11-11-2009, 10:04 PM
^ oh for sure :) The biggest things for me was that it was a 2 bedroom, no rear garage, or fences, and no blinds...

masoncgy
11-11-2009, 10:15 PM
The upgrades are nice too... that model wasn't an overly big seller, but I recall this house and one other one were both purchased around the same time and both were done up real nice by people who moved into them... but interestingly enough, one already sold and now this one is up.

Great to see the fireplace option, some very nice hardwood flooring & a great color scheme bring it to life... that's for sure.

thorin33
11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Having lived in Silverado for almost 3 years, here are my comments. Travel into downtown isn't that bad. I drove to the train and worked at the Petro-Canada building. Never took more than 25 minutes....and breakdowns on the train happen no matter where you live. The shuttle bus also runs now so you don't have to drive if you don't want. Also, since Somerset is the end of line, you should have no problems getting a seat in the morning. Driving to downtown takes 20 minutes in good traffic.

The neighborhood has lots of young families and dog owners. There is a lot of green space. They just finished paving the roads in the first few phases (where I live) so that is great for the cars.

About the water conservation....just change the restrictors if you aren't happy abou the flow.

chowdog
01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Hey

With Silverado being a "water conservation" community, can anyone living there post what their monthly water charges are? I am looking into a home down there.

roopi
01-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by thorin33
[B]Driving to downtown takes 20 minutes in good traffic.
[B]

Impossible. What route do you take?

chowdog
01-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Impossible. What route do you take?

I've made it from Silverado to downtown (City Hall) in 25 mins on Macleod Trail.