PDA

View Full Version : Time for a change: new vehicle (Kia).

A790
11-11-2009, 03:42 PM
So after reviewing my priorities for the upcoming few years, I've come to realize that having a souped up/fast car just isn't part of the mix. I think it's time for A790 to get a grown-up, sensible vehicle (in the words of A790's mom). Unfortunately, I have to agree. The SRT-4, despite being one of the best cars I've ever owned, has to go. Come spring, I'll pull it out of storage and put it up for sale.

That being said, I'm looking to purchase a NEW new car. I've never owned a brand new car before due to insurance being quite restrictive, but six years of no-accidents and no-tickets have finally brought my premiums down to something that borders being affordable (I know, uncanny!).

After doing some digging, I've come up with a few vehicles that fit my needs: the Kia Soul (which I wrote a glorious review of on the beyond.ca blog), the Kia Forte Sedan, and the Kia Forte Koup. The problem is that I'm torn on what to get.

If you have experience with any of these vehicles, please share them. I'd be getting the top trim of whatever I chose to buy, so options/features aren't lacking.

Thanks in advance!

funkedelic2
11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Kia.. really? :dunno: I like the look of the Soul. Very cool new design. Why are you so stuck up on going with a Kia though? Warranty, price? Not looking at any other manufacturer?

A790
11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
Kia.. really? :dunno: I like the look of the Soul. Very cool new design. Why are you so stuck up on going with a Kia though? Warranty, price? Not looking at any other manufacturer?
I've looked at other manufacturers. I'm not interest in a sub-compact, like a Versa or a Fit, and the Civic/Sentra doesn't appeal to me. The Focus styling is out to lunch, the Cobalt just doesn't compete in my opinion, and Subaru doesn't offer anything in my price range.

The bottom line is between affording my monthly bills, tuition, plus wanting to have money to live, it looks as if my price range tops out at around $24,000. It just seems as if the Kia lineup fits that price range and is jacked to the nines with the features I want.

If I'm missing cars, by all means suggest them. I haven't made a final decision by any means.

EDIT: I should also say that after reviewing the Soul I threw away any brand bias that I had. I don't discriminate based on a nameplate :)

Weapon_R
11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
While Hyundai makes some decent cars, I could never deal with the depreciation aspect. It's so bad you are almost always upside down from the day you drive off the lot. I know that new vehicles aren't an investment, but its hard to see 75% of your investment down the drain in the matter of a few years.

delled
11-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure where Ford is coming in on price but the European Fiesta is due to be released early 2010 (not sure when in Canada).
http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011fiesta/

A790
11-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by delled
I'm not sure where Ford is coming in on price but the European Fiesta is due to be released early 2010 (not sure when in Canada).
http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011fiesta/
Fiesta is too small for what I'm looking for. I need plenty of space in the trunk for liquor, groceries, etc. as I often play the role of the delivery boy for the family restaurant. That's what made the Soul so appealing- you could fit like 15 dead bodies in the trunk ;)

Neil4Speed
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
While Hyundai makes some decent cars, I could never deal with the depreciation aspect. It's so bad you are almost always upside down from the day you drive off the lot. I know that new vehicles aren't an investment, but its hard to see 75% of your investment down the drain in the matter of a few years.

I really have to agree with this - A790, whats the reason that you are wanting a NEW new car vs a 'newer' car (ie 2007/8/9).

dj_rice
11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I really have to agree with this - A790, whats the reason that you are wanting a NEW new car vs a 'newer' car (ie 2007/8/9).

I'd imagine he wants a NEW car due to the fact its worry free maintenance as opposed to buying a newer used car and something breaks and can't be replaced on warranty, and also the fact its a NEW car, everyone wants that new car smell and joy of a un-molested new car

yeahyeah
11-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Kia, not my forte, but it could be yours.

Aleks
11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Some other spacious cars in that sub 25K category

Nissan Cube
Subaru Impreza hatchback
VW Golf
Toyota Matrix

Kia soul is an awsome car. I helped my sister in law get one when they first came out. She still loves it. That's the thing though I've never seen a guy driving one of these :rofl: but maybe I'm not paying enough attention.

Eleanor
11-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by A790
Fiesta is too small for what I'm looking for. I need plenty of space in the trunk for liquor, groceries, etc. as I often play the role of the delivery boy for the family restaurant. That's what made the Soul so appealing- you could fit like 15 dead bodies in the trunk ;) Get a Fiesta and this then

http://img.en.china.cn/0/0,0,237,1689,360,360,9907b1a0.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm sure the Soul leases out quite well. I think it would be perfect for someone looking for a stylish new car that carries lots of gear.

JUZENO
11-11-2009, 08:05 PM
What is your monthly Budget for a car payment?

I work for Northwest Acura and If I know that (montly budget) and what kind of money your looking to put down (if any) I should be able to find something for you.

Most of our models are dropping in price for 2010 and adding a ton of new technology and standard features.

We also put out a 6 year/160,000 kms warrenty on out 2004-2008 Preowned units. FYI

PM Me, I'm sure we can work something out for you.

ExtraSlow
11-11-2009, 08:06 PM
The Fit suit your tastes?
I really liked the one I test drove about a year ago.
Crazy interior room too. Way more than you'd think.

Godfuader
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
What about the matrix? Just a couple things that seem to stick out is the fold down rear to make a long plastic storage space...plus 4wd option. No clue about pricing though.

canuckcarguy
11-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't know, if I was really looking at the budget, I'd buy something used, and keep something in reserve for repairs, or buy an extended warranty. Kia and Hyundai both depreciate quickly, meaning you can get a great deal on one that's a couple of years old.

I've owned dozens of vehicles, and only one of them was new. Financially, it was the worst automotive decision I've made. Buying used has always worked out well for me, as long as you're sensible (avoid anything from east of Saskatchewan [rusty], avoid unreasonably high mileage, get an inspection, maintain regular service intervals, and find a recommended and trustworthy mechanic).

canadian_hustla
11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Kia? Wow, I am not sure if I could buy one of those

With that being said, I also went through a similar phase where having a fast/good looking car was a thing of the past and practicality took priority.

To me it was a easy decision. 2009 Toyota Corolla S FTW. Nicely equiped for approximately $21k. Easily in your budget and you will have cash to spare

Sorath
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Cam. I know you well enough to know that you go through cars way too often. No matter what you buy don't buy new. Being in the business for awhile you'll thank me later. I can work out a new civic si close to the price range you wanna be at :)

that's if you wanna go new :devil:

simke
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
How about the new Mazda 3 hatch? I was shopping for basically the same vehicle as you and at the end opted out for Mazda 3 gs hatch. Nicely loaded 2.5l 6 speed manual for 20,895 - mine came in at 237xx on the road. Still waiting to get it, since they did not have any velocity reds in 6 speed manual without comfort package.

My other choices were golf vi and kia forte sedan sx. Did not drive the other two since VW has higher financing rates and that did not work for me (although I like the new Golf), and did not choose Kia simply cause of resale value.

Kavy
11-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
Kia? Wow, I am not sure if I could buy one of those

With that being said, I also went through a similar phase where having a fast/good looking car was a thing of the past and practicality took priority.

To me it was a easy decision. 2009 Toyota Corolla S FTW. Nicely equiped for approximately $21k. Easily in your budget and you will have cash to spare

Truth.

Toyota has great resale value and i think that is very important in todays market.

n1zm0
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
in your price range and for what you need to do with it I'd look into the Suzuki sx4, awd for winter too, other things around that price like matrix awd I know you said nothing in subaru
But the 2.5 impreza hatch is around that price iirc

All awd yeah it'll be a bit more for gas but in our winters, it's worth it imo

FullMetal
11-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Why dont you look at VW? they have very good car in that price range, look at Jettas or Golfs you can never go wrong with them "WHEN BRAND NEW"

Mibz
11-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
Cam. I know you well enough to know that you go through cars way too often. This. Shit, I've never met you and I've seen you go through 3 cars. I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Kasem.

A790
11-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
This. Shit, I've never met you and I've seen you go through 3 cars. I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Kasem.
Everyone I know has said this to me, and it's true. I'm 23 years old and I've owned 13 cars and two motorcycles. However, I'm looking at making a long-term financial strategy, and part of that entails an economical, reliable vehicle that doesn't cost a ton to maintain or insure. A turbocharged pocket-rocket doesn't fit that description.

I'd like to buy a house within the next three years, so I have a very aggressive savings plan. The most I'd like to spend on a car per month (including insurance) is $650. A 2010 Kia Soul 4u, with insurance, is $550 ($300 payment/$250 insurance). +/- $30 for the Kia Forte Koup/Sedan. Insurance for Civic/Corolla is about $80/mo more expensive (not a big deal, but interesting).

I've based a budget around a lowball estimate of what I take home, after tax, every month. I've come to the conclusion that I need to get back to basics in terms of a car, and buy myself my toys later once I have the house. Besides, I'm going to buy another motorcycle to handle the "Need for Speed" instinct ;)

At the end of the day, I just flat out like the Soul for some reason. It mixes funky and practicality together in a way I quite like. I've got plenty of time to sit and think about it though, as unless my SRT sells in the winter (which is unlikely since I won't be subjecting it to winter abuse), the earliest I'll be in a position to buy will be spring.

max_boost
11-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Well sometimes if you love it then just stick with it. If it's the Kia Soul, so be it. Like women, you see one, you believe she's 'the one', then just go with it.

I was going to suggest the Subaru Impreza. Great car, seats 5, good utility, AWD, and very low maintenance. It's just a bit boring to look at.

or

VW Golf, MK6 is pure sex but this IMO haha and I can't offer much else in terms of ownership experience.

As for the savings, you just need to eat less at 89coupe type restaurants.

Redlyne_mr2
11-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Woah why is your insurance so expensive? If you really want to save money drive a beater until your insurance drops when you're 25.

FiveFreshFish
11-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by FullMetal
Why dont you look at VW? they have very good car in that price range, look at Jettas or Golfs you can never go wrong with them "WHEN BRAND NEW"

Golfs are so awesome I own two. :thumbsup:

There are eight Porsche 997 wheels/tires in this pic. I'm sure I can fit an even dozen in there by sacrificing rearward vision.

http://i33.tinypic.com/4q22hd.jpg

Team_Mclaren
11-12-2009, 02:24 AM
why not lease something better for cheaper? instead of financing/purchasing.

FullMetal
11-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
why not lease something better for cheaper? instead of financing/purchasing.

why get stuck with leasing :D

Sorath
11-12-2009, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
This. Shit, I've never met you and I've seen you go through 3 cars. I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Kasem.

:( so much hate.

but yeah cam, you're just as bad as me if not worse, when it comes to switching cars/getting bored of cars. Fuck i was bored of my STi after 1 month lol.

stick with a newer used is my opinion that way there is less depreciation, so if you decide to switch to another vehicle you're not too fucked on it.

edit: soul is a cool car, drives kinda funky, one of our mechanics at work has one, the speakers lighting up each time they pound is kinda cool, or maybe its just the ricer in me :rofl:

atgilchrist
11-12-2009, 07:07 AM
That's some crazy insurance! Why so high?

Aleks
11-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Woah why is your insurance so expensive? If you really want to save money drive a beater until your insurance drops when you're 25.

I was just going to post this. Once you turn 25 there is no reason why your insurance should be over $100/month on any new car pretty much. In the meantime, beater + liability only.

If you're going to try for a mortgage the worst you can do is buy a new car before you buy a house. I made this mistake years ago and had to sell my car and buy a beater to buy a house on my own straight out of school.

ExtraSlow
11-12-2009, 08:05 AM
It's very hard to get away from switching cars if you are used to it. I was averaging about a car per year for the first dozen years I had my license. If I kept one for more than two years, I really got "the itch" to find something different.

max_boost
11-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I told my buddy when he asked me if he should lease or finance. I said, "Do you want a girlfriend or a wife"? Haha
Leasing is best man. You only pay for what you use. In my experience it has always been easier to get rid of a car via lease takeover. It's like renting and it's all in the numbers. Low lease rate, good residual, allows you to drive a
brand new car with warranty and not have to worry about re-sale, people hitting you, loss of value. It gives you options.
At the end of the 3-4 year term you deicde what you want to do with the car based on its market value.

A790
11-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Hmm. Maybe I need to think about this a bit more.

bignerd
11-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Sounds like you have already made up your mind. Forte's look good in the commercial, not so much in real life.

heavyD
11-12-2009, 12:25 PM
You already have the SRT-4 why not just drive it and save the new car payment money for your house? I drove mine all year round. As long as you keep it moderatley stock it should be fairly reliable and parts are cheaper for that car than any Japanese/Korean car.

Another car to look at is the Lancer as you can get into a GTS in your price range with attractive financing. Only Honda and Toyota's have better overall reliability than Mitsubishi in regards to Japanese/Korean makers.

KrisYYC
11-12-2009, 12:31 PM
If you really want to be as financially frugal as possible buying a brand new is one of the worst things you can do.

From a purely financial perspective, buying a used reliable toaster car is the way to go.

I'm such a jew that I can't even stomach financing a car at all even though I can afford it. I always end up finding a deal on a beater that I can pay cash for. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy POS rust buckets. But you can get a basic toaster car for $5000 that'll last you years.

I'm kind of doing the reverse of what you did. I was cheap and saved for the house etc. first. Now I have my ducks in a row I'll be buying a "fun" car sometime in the next year. After years of being so frugal I'm worried the buyers remorse is going to kill me though :D

KrisYYC
11-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
You already have the SRT-4 why not just drive it and save the new car payment money for your house? I drove mine all year round. As long as you keep it moderatley stock it should be fairly reliable and parts are cheaper for that car than any Japanese/Korean car.

I meant to ask that in my post and forgot.

OP is your SRT-4 paid for or are you still making payments on it? Is it a huge maintenance pig?

If it's paid off it's probably a better idea to just keep driving it as a daily driver. It would be hard for the maintence costs to be more than the monthly car payment of a new car added up over years plus depreciation.

Insurance might be an issue though.

Mibz
11-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I think over the last year I've spent $400 on necessary maintenance for my SRT-4, I'm about to hit 80,000km so that'll go up but they're not a high maintenance car at all.

In terms of problems, my CPS and TPS sensors both needed replacing (at different times) and I spent, collectively, about $110 and half an hour of time on them.

A790
11-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Hmmm.... alright, I'm going to do nothing for now. We'll see what 2010 brings me.

Xtrema
11-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Kia soul is an awsome car. I helped my sister in law get one when they first came out. She still loves it. That's the thing though I've never seen a guy driving one of these :rofl: but maybe I'm not paying enough attention.

Nope, all chicks.

canuckcarguy
11-12-2009, 08:29 PM
If you're as involved as you seem to be in cars, and you're not making emotional decisions, there's really no need for driving to cost you anything beyond gas and insurance. It's pretty easy to shop for a deal on something 4-6 years old, drive it for 6 months, and then advertise it until it sells, and replace it with another deal. As long as you're not making emotional purchases, and don't fall in love, you'll likely break even or better. There's always a good deal out there, especially in the private market, as long as you're flexible in what you want.

I get super bored driving the same vehicle, so I inevitably sell my car and buy another one every 6-18 months. Usually, as long as I paid attention when I bought it, I can sell it at break-even, or even make a buck or 2. Especially if you're prepared to shop state-side (though this is tougher to arrange on payments), you can pretty much drive for free.

Even if you make a minor mistake, or the market on that particular vehicle drops, it still costs way less than payments.

max_boost
11-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Nope, all chicks.

Maybe he can start a Kia Soul club and meet all the ladies? haha