PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Injury

KRyn
11-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Hi Beyond, some time ago (about six weeks now) I injured my shoulders. I took time off from the gym and they started to feel better but have yet to 100%. I have booked my self an appointment for physiotherapy, but I am curious if anyone has any experience with shoulder injuries. If so did you see a therapist who specialized in shoulder injuries? Just hoping for some insight or knowledge.

Cheers

Pacman
11-13-2009, 09:12 AM
About 10 years ago, I injured my left shoulder in the gym while doing dumbbell presses. It was painful, and my shoulder would "clunk" whenever I brought my arm above my shoulder level. It was extremely painful and I had a hard time sleeping at night as I would wake up if I rolled over. I once had it "clunk" when I was turning the steering wheel and making a right turn.

I went for x-rays and it was determined that I had a SLAP Tear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAP_tear

I really didn't want the surgery, so I took it easy at the gym, stopped playing squash and used my right arm when I would "whip skippy".

FWIW, I've had a couple of back surgeries for herniated discs...and the pain felt in my shoulder was exponentially greater than anything I felt in my back pre or post surgery.

I would talk to a doctor and have some x-rays done. Then you can see if it's muscular pain or if you have done other damage.

grwnded
11-13-2009, 09:28 AM
i injured my right shoulder a while back as well. it was work related so they covered it through WCB. i went through their physio and whatnot, but it never really got 100% better. like you, i took it easy at the the gym for a while but as most people do over time, i got comfortable and went up in weight. eventually i reinjured it but i didn't want to use just any physiotheripist because is wanted to actually be able to work out hard again and my past experience showed me that some theripists really just focus on making the pain go away so old people can be happy but they didn't seem all that interested on building the area back up so i could really train hard again. so i did a little research and ended up using Debbie leung.

she is a figure pro competitior and physical therapist and has extensive knowedge in dealing with actual bodybuilding injuries so when she was done with me, the pain was gone and i can train as hard as i want to. i've now used her for other injuries as well and am very happy. and it doesn't hurt that she's hot either

here's her page:

http://www.debleung.com/

dimi
11-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Don't go to UofC physio. I went once when I separated my shoulder. She told me 2 exercises to perform, disappeared, and then came back 45 mins later.

"So how did the exercises go?"

Well I did 20 fucking sets so they must have gone well bitch. Glad the $100 was at least covered by insurance.

bulaian
11-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I injured my shoulder about a year ago in the gym and a guy who worked out there recommended ART(Active release techniques) to me. I found a chiropractor that did this and it's been great ever since.

the first few visits are pretty painful though, since the point of it is to break up the scar tissue that forms in the injured area to make it heal properly. it also helps with getting your flexibility back as well

sexualbanana
11-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by dimi
Don't go to UofC physio. I went once when I separated my shoulder. She told me 2 exercises to perform, disappeared, and then came back 45 mins later.

"So how did the exercises go?"

Well I did 20 fucking sets so they must have gone well bitch. Glad the $100 was at least covered by insurance.

I'm surprised you got the see them. If you're not a varsity athlete you usually have to book 6 months in advance.

s_havinga
11-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by grwnded
i injured my right shoulder a while back as well. it was work related so they covered it through WCB. i went through their physio and whatnot, but it never really got 100% better. like you, i took it easy at the the gym for a while but as most people do over time, i got comfortable and went up in weight. eventually i reinjured it but i didn't want to use just any physiotheripist because is wanted to actually be able to work out hard again and my past experience showed me that some theripists really just focus on making the pain go away so old people can be happy but they didn't seem all that interested on building the area back up so i could really train hard again. so i did a little research and ended up using Debbie leung.

she is a figure pro competitior and physical therapist and has extensive knowedge in dealing with actual bodybuilding injuries so when she was done with me, the pain was gone and i can train as hard as i want to. i've now used her for other injuries as well and am very happy. and it doesn't hurt that she's hot either

here's her page:

http://www.debleung.com/

Do you remember what her rates were like? I have been having some really annoying knee pain lately (after ACL replacement 15 months ago) and it sounds like she has a lot of experiance with that.