PDA

View Full Version : supercharger rebuilt

supra_07
11-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Hi
Does anyone know someone who can rebuild the supercharger. I have a procharger supercharger that needs to be rebuilt :facepalm: but can't seem to find anyone in calgary:banghead:. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

04es
11-12-2009, 02:03 AM
possibly alamo, by varsity chrysler?

supra_07
11-12-2009, 02:33 PM
would you possibly have the exact address for the place. I'm thinking itz near uni but don't know the exact address
thanks

blackpeople
11-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Bay 30, 5225 - 6th Street, NE, Calgary, AB T2K 5Y4
Telephone: 403-274-6211 Facsimile: 403-275-4600

supra_07
11-12-2009, 04:07 PM
called them today they don't do superchargers. thanks for the help though. looks like i'll have ship it somewhere else.:(

bubbley
11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by supra_07
called them today they don't do superchargers. thanks for the help though. looks like i'll have ship it somewhere else.:(

lol calgary's so bunk

supra_07
11-13-2009, 12:43 AM
wow i can't believe that there is noone in calgary who does that.

Ven
11-13-2009, 01:04 AM
I've done a few centrifugals and maybe 1/2 dozen roots style. There's nothing to them, most wearable parts I've gotten locally. The only challenge is getting specs from the manufacturer sometimes. What exactly is wrong with it?

supra_07
11-13-2009, 03:21 AM
i believe it had a spun bearing and weird noise was comming from it but not really sure what exactly is wrong with it. I bought the car like that and that's what the previous owner told me

Ven
11-13-2009, 11:48 AM
The PO has no idea unless he pulled it apart, and if he did that he would have fixed it. I'm sure it's just a bearing that's crapped out. If you care to inspect further you can use the simple methods below to narrow things down.

You can diagnose approximately where the fault is on the blower if you have a wooden dowel or metal rod to listen through. One end of the rod goes on the blower near the front bearing drive shaft and the other end to your ear. Repeat the same for the driven shaft at the back.

Take the belt off the pulley and spin the blower by hand. Do it slowly and quickly. What are you feeling and hearing?

Grab the pulley and push it up and down, side to side, and then in and out. What are you feeling and hearing?

Is it leaking any oil? Even if it's just a sweat that collects dust. Is it on the front or back?

All bearings are local, 80% of seals are local. Some thrust washers have to ordered or made. Gear shafts must be ordered as does the impeller and the oil agitator.

supra_07
11-13-2009, 02:26 PM
oh sorry forgot to tell you the PO already took the head unit out and he told me that he spun a bearing and the head unit needs to be rebuild. so i have the belts, pulley, some hoses and the head unit in my basement. I have no idea what to do and where to go so that my car is up and running smooth with supercharger in it.

Ven
11-13-2009, 03:12 PM
The PO is still just guessing about the spun bearing, can't tell unless it's apart. While that's a possibility, it's uncommon with the kind of bearings used. If that did happen you're looking at either replacing or sleeving a shaft. Or a new case section or insert depending on what race started turning. If the impeller touched, things get spendy.

I don't know of anywhere local to send the blower or how much you'll get bent over for. I can take a look at it if you'd like, but I'll tell you upfront it'll be a back burner project that I'll fit in between other jobs. My fee would be a charitable donation to the organization of your choice. If you need it right away you're better off sending it out.

Darell_n
11-13-2009, 05:12 PM
It was my understanding that 'spinning a bearing' is in a pressurized oil feed system when the oil holes no longer line up. I don't think there is an oil pump inside the head unit, but I could be wrong. Pull it apart an see what condition the oil looks like. Hopefully not sparkly.

Ven
11-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Spun bearings can occur with any type of bearings. However it's most common for hydrodynamic bearings commonly found in engines, which I think you mean to refer. There isn't an oil pump in the traditional sense but there is an aerator gear that essentially mists the oil and throws it around the case.

superboss
11-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Whats the supercharger off of?:burnout:

supra_07
11-14-2009, 05:20 PM
It's a centrifugal procharger P1 SC. I don't know if all the prochargers are centrifugals or not but you said you've done few of them. I am just wondering if you have ever done this one.

I called westernmotor sports they said it would be around $800 now I don't know if that's too much or reasonable?

Ven
11-14-2009, 10:25 PM
$800 is almost the price of a reman head unit direct from ProCharger. That's all new wearable parts aside from gear shafts and impeller, and that includes a warranty.

If there's any damage to the impeller, gear shafts or high speed seals then they'll need to send it out to ProCharger for repair, as they do not sell individual proprietary parts to vendors or end users. Bearing and seal kits can be bought direct from ProCharger but it costs 300% more + shipping than sourcing top tier bearings and seals locally.

Graham_A_M
11-15-2009, 12:54 PM
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/ Not local, but those guys know their stuff.
Short of that, if you wanted local I'd call Davenport. :dunno:

EDIT

Sorry, these guys. Their right off of McKnight & Deerfoot.
http://www.davenportmotorsports.com/

supra_07
11-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/ Not local, but those guys know their stuff.
Short of that, if you wanted local I'd call Davenport. :dunno:
who is Davenport?

supra_07
11-19-2009, 01:33 AM
ok people i tried everyone in calgary and found out that there is absolutly no shop here who rebuilds superchargers the closest one would be vancouver. :cry:

supra_07
11-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Ven
The PO is still just guessing about the spun bearing, can't tell unless it's apart. While that's a possibility, it's uncommon with the kind of bearings used. If that did happen you're looking at either replacing or sleeving a shaft. Or a new case section or insert depending on what race started turning. If the impeller touched, things get spendy.

I don't know of anywhere local to send the blower or how much you'll get bent over for. I can take a look at it if you'd like, but I'll tell you upfront it'll be a back burner project that I'll fit in between other jobs. My fee would be a charitable donation to the organization of your choice. If you need it right away you're better off sending it out.

PM'd