PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Tire Tread???

RavnKing
11-19-2003, 08:41 AM
I just bought a used car and have noticed that the tires are slipping more than I feel they should. I got down and looked at the treads on the tires and they seem like they are not as deep as they should be. Does anyone know what the legal tread depth required is for a Manitoba, Canada vehicle to be safetied? I measured the tread depth and it is currently at about 1/16" on the front tires (front wheel drive) and approx. just under 1/16" on the back tires, this seems a little shallow for the treads. If this is not within the legal limit then I can go back to the dealership where I got it from and demand that they put new tires on. They do their own safeties so they could just be trying to pull a fast one.

Cheers,
Ravn

rc2002
11-19-2003, 09:47 AM
The wear bars probably rubbed off altogether if it's only 1/16". Those tires are bald as hell. I would definitely talk to the dealer about it. I'm not sure if they're obligated to replace them for you, but I would try talking to them first before doing anything else.

4wheeldrift
11-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Usually anything under 2/16ths should not have passed a safety inspection. I don't know if there is a minimum tread depth in alberta, but I do know the MVA says that tread must be visible for the tire to be legal.

If that car came with a dealer safety inspection and they passed those tires, I'd definetly be going back and demanding replacements.

hjr
11-19-2003, 01:44 PM
3mm i believe, (if you cant do fractions....) but if they look low, then replace them. Especially now that winter is upon us. Etown picked up 3 inches last night and this morning.

Weapon_R
11-19-2003, 08:21 PM
You shouldn't compromise your tires. If you feel they are slipping more than they should, and considering the treads are only 1/16th deep, it's definately time for a replacement.

Ask us here, check around. Tires vary a LOT in quality. You can get some good opinions here instead of going to a tire shop and asking one of their tire guys, who are usually pretty ignorant to the different aspects of the tires they sell.

silver_star
11-20-2003, 12:21 AM
In order for a vehicle to pass a safety inspection it must have more than 2/32"

2/32" Illegal
4/32" Recommended change

rc2002
11-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Though by law tires are required to have a minimum tread depth of 2/32 of an inch, experts say that 6/32 is a much safer minimum.

from here: http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2003/03/car.html