PDA

View Full Version : Career change

benz_890
11-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Need some advice here. I am currently a Health Record Technician, I do a lot of computer work which has resulted in tendinitis in my wrists/forearms. I am thinking of doing a career change right now but can not think of many careers/jobs that do not consist of computer work. I'd like something where I am in the background doing my own thing as I dislike interacting with clients/patients/customers etc etc. Can anybody think of any jobs which might suit me? I do like working with/around cars and electronics etc, putting stuff together, figuring out how stuff work.

DJ_NAV
11-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Cook/Chef?

Rat Fink
11-13-2009, 02:29 AM

HeavyD111
11-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Power/Steam Engineer. Work with boilers, good pay, no public interaction other than co-workers. I have wanted to take this for years now and still regret not going.

gqmw
11-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
Cook/Chef?

Terrible strain on the wrists/forearms.

Graham_A_M
11-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Landscaping? (as well as working & maintaining equipment)
PM me if you're interested. :dunno:

freshprince1
11-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Shipper/Receiver

Marsh
11-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Cop

beyond_ban
11-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
Cop

:facepalm:

Like others mentioned, a Mechanic sounds fairly ideal. What kind of use do you still have from your wrists/hands without the tendinitis giving you problems?

anhsicun
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
i want to change my career too and been thinking about going to sait for mechanics. im 23 at the moment and been always thinking i might be to old when im done the 4 years. what u guys think ? are thier alot of ppl around my age that would still considering prosuing the automotive industry or im kinda too late? i didn't have a big interest in cars until two years ago and now i think i just might like being a mechanic.

megafandrew
11-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by anhsicun
i want to change my career too and been thinking about going to sait for mechanics. im 23 at the moment and been always thinking i might be to old when im done the 4 years. what u guys think ? are thier alot of ppl around my age that would still considering prosuing the automotive industry or im kinda too late? i didn't have a big interest in cars until two years ago and now i think i just might like being a mechanic.

Hell no your not too old. Alot of people at your age dont know what their doing yet. Im 21 (22 in March 2010) and Im thinking of going into Automotive at NAIT which is the same course basically.

I work at Finning and their are 1/2/3rd year heavy duty mechanics that are 25+ so your not too old if these guys are being apprenticed here to work on heavy equipment. If anything you'll get out and be what 27/28 still could pursue another career unless you have a family? You should go for it if you want it though!

And for original poster definitely try automotive technician its one of the many reasons it interest me is that you can work independently I am not a social pro so the more I work myself the better

tirebob
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Go into automotives? When you're a mechanic you don't have to interact with customers very often. There are service writers for that. Get your work order and go do your thang! Not sure how air tools (vibrations, etc.) will go with your tendonitis.... Twisting wrenches in odd positions is pretty tough on those with bad wrists and hands... I know it causes me huge issues.

Jry_79
11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by anhsicun

Some people do not even find their true career untill 30 or 40's if at all. So it's never too late especially since your only 23 years old.

If you didn't have an interest in cars up untill only 2 years ago, maybe your interest will change in the next few year, that's only normal for someone as young as yourself. Don't rush into things but if you are interested then try it out for sure.

Knowing what we want to do when your in your 20's is one thing, my advice is to really guage how bad your wrist problems are and listen to a few of the post regarding being a mechanic (specifically above) then make your decision. Good luck

Rat Fink
11-24-2009, 05:48 PM

natejj
11-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Rat Fink, what happened to NavCanada? Let me guess, you had interview they said, "We'll call you." And haven't heard from them in months?

Rat Fink
11-24-2009, 06:42 PM

natejj
11-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Exactly. I had the first interview with them and mailed in all the required documents. They won't tell me how I did in the interview even though the interviewer told me I did well when I took the damn thing. I'm not putting my life on hold on these guys....nor do I really feel like being on their leash while they string me along or even if I get the job when they choose where I live afterwards. Life has moved on for me. I think they need a better application system because the one they have now is pure bullshit. How can they expect people to blindly wait with their life on hold for months for a *chance* to work for them. fuuuuuuck that.

Welcome to Nav Canada. Once your in, its a great company. Its getting through the front door thats hard. Heres the situation atm. We aren't hiring FSS at the moment... IFR is really all thats on the go. And since the company is still trimming a bit of staff, they are filling all, or most of the training spots with existing employees in an effort to move them from desk jobs, or from FSS into ATC. I would move on with your life for now, I am FSS and waiting to go VFR, and a course MIGHT start in Feb. That is of course, going to be probably staffed with existing employee's, and not people like you.

Rat Fink
11-24-2009, 06:52 PM

Graham_A_M
11-24-2009, 08:58 PM

Exactly. I had the first interview with them and mailed in all the required documents. They won't tell me how I did in the interview even though the interviewer told me I did well when I took the damn thing. I'm not putting my life on hold on these guys....nor do I really feel like being on their leash while they string me along or even if I get the job when they choose where I live afterwards. Life has moved on for me. I think they need a better application system because the one they have now is pure bullshit. How can they expect people to blindly wait with their life on hold for months for a *chance* to work for them. fuuuuuuck that.

You think thats bad? try Schlumberger. Some people have waited over a year to hear from them again. For me? three months. :banghead: :banghead:

Talk about Corporate Gridlock..... Fuck sakes.

TomcoPDR
11-25-2009, 12:15 AM
What about a sanitation logistic coordinator

megafandrew
11-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Those thinking they are too old at 23 to pursue automotives....LMAO.

For the record, I am turning 28 next month and I am trying to get back into automotives. I have an interview tomorrow (fingers crossed). I'm still considered a first year as I haven't gone to school yet....but I do have 3200 verifiable hours doing work that a typical dealership apprentice wouldn't see until third year so I might get pushed ahead a bit (challenge first year and go to school for second year). We shall see, and good luck to you all

lmao as well. And 28 is still a good age to be picking up trades but you know this better then I would. Good luck on the interview and thats too bad with NavCanada Ive had similar interviews with companies in the same type of operating which sucks. OP also look into a process operator or power engineer technician they also require you to work alone alot of times and they pay well.