PDA

View Full Version : Why does Nascar always go counter-clock-wise???

cycosis
11-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Other than the Infineon Race Circuit and the Watkins Glen International Circuit (both these circuits look like a road course), why does Nascar always go counter clockwise.... or does it????

Im not a fan, I love Formula 1 and have too much respect for racers who can turn in two directions but I could never figure out why they only turn left...

Anyone know why?

FiveFreshFish
11-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Same as speed skating. It's always been done this way.

Also, it's easier to turn left in a LHD car.

BigDannyCool
11-13-2009, 01:58 AM
safety is probably one of the reasons

speedog
11-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Safety - car blows a tire and drifts up the track, it's the empty left side that hits the wall first.

But honestly, since this form of racing kinda started in a beach race in Daytona in 1936, who knows. Suspect it's a combo of safety, FiveFreshFish's answer and the fact that since all of the early tracks were dirt (read dusty), turning left in a LHD car meant the driver still had a fairly unobstructed view of the track ahead.

ianmcc
11-13-2009, 07:46 AM
I think you mean the empty right side that hits the wall first.
But that's the reason-safety. Since the driver is on the left side the wall is now on the right side in case of a crash.

Jay911
11-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Safety - car blows a tire and drifts up the track, it's the empty left side that hits the wall first.

But honestly, since this form of racing kinda started in a beach race in Daytona in 1936, who knows. Suspect it's a combo of safety, FiveFreshFish's answer and the fact that since all of the early tracks were dirt (read dusty), turning left in a LHD car meant the driver still had a fairly unobstructed view of the track ahead.

For what it's worth, I seem to recall from photos I saw a year or two ago of the beach races that they did clockwise circuits... :)

Eleanor
11-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by cycosis
I love Formula 1 and have too much respect for racers who can turn in two directions I'd love to see Lewis Hamilton squeeze his McLaren into a space 3 inches wider than his car at 180+mph :facepalm:

For christ's sakes people, you don't race the track in Nascar you race the other cars :banghead:

Thaco
11-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Also, more weight on the inside of the corner

Driver, Seat, steering, pedals, more rollcage bars, etc...

Travel_Dude
11-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Rotation of the earth. In South America they go the other way because they are further south. Gravity pulls the car better.

.....no

Mar
11-26-2009, 09:51 AM
coriolis effect

snoop101
11-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
I'd love to see Lewis Hamilton squeeze his McLaren into a space 3 inches wider than his car at 180+mph :facepalm:

For christ's sakes people, you don't race the track in Nascar you race the other cars :banghead:

You must be from the US. I have yet to see a Canadian or well anyone in the world like watching Nascar.

Theres a reason why the whole world even some normal folk in the US watch F1.

sputnik
11-26-2009, 10:05 AM
What a dumb thread.

Obvious NASCAR trolling just to start an F1 vs NASCAR thread.

What threads will be started next?

Tour de France vs velodrome racing?

Figure skating vs speed skating?

Eleanor
11-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by snoop101
You must be from the US. I have yet to see a Canadian or well anyone in the world like watching Nascar. Canadian through and through ;)

Theres a reason why the whole world even some normal folk in the US watch F1. I follow F1, and have great respect for the drivers and engineers on the teams, but man is it ever boring to watch. "Look! Alonso shaved .00000001 seconds off his last lap time" :zzz:

In the end though, everyone knows the best motorsport to watch is rally ;)

Trini
11-26-2009, 11:36 AM

In the end though, everyone knows the best motorsport to watch is rally ;) [/B]

:werd:

iceburns288
11-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm here to address any concerns F1 fans have with NASCAR. :)

I like NASCAR; I love F1.

But Jesus, is F1 boring to watch.:banghead:

95teetee
12-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by snoop101

Theres a reason why the whole world even some normal folk in the US watch F1. so you can watch people pull over to allow Schumacher to pass:dunno:

5000Audi
12-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I watch Nascar EVERY sunday, and if i can ill watch the practice and Qualifying.. Ive also been down in Bristol for a race and one in Vegas.. Nascar racing is Awsome, much better then that F1 garbage.. why you think Montoya switched? Also id rather see cars only turning left bumper to bumper going 170-200 MPH then that way boring F1 racing.. its very intense to watch and i will never miss a sunday of Nascar on the big screen!! But to bad its winter now.. no nascar till next season

OH AND BTW GO GORDON!!!!!!!

rage2
12-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I'd love to see Lewis Hamilton squeeze his McLaren into a space 3 inches wider than his car at 180+mph :facepalm:
It's not Hamilton, but Massa. Not 180mph, but 200mph. And not 3 inches, probably -5 inchs, Massa's wheels were closer to Webber's car than his own wheels lol.

elyxIhMW_No

Wish I could find more vids, FOM removes every good F1 video online. :(

Danny Meehan
12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
What a dumb thread.

Obvious NASCAR trolling just to start an F1 vs NASCAR thread.

What threads will be started next?

Tour de France vs velodrome racing?

Figure skating vs speed skating?
NFL versus wtfCFL