PDA

View Full Version : Another sweet GT-R issue...

yeahyeah
11-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Looks like it's only for JDM and EU owners, but hahaha fuck, it would suck to have to deal with this. don't bump into anything yo!

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127250-accident-dont-do-what-i-did.html

Masked Bandit
11-13-2009, 09:35 AM
That's nuts. Is there anyone on the board here with a GTR that can confirm those systems?

Jlude
11-13-2009, 10:07 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

what a joke

Xtrema
11-13-2009, 10:17 AM
$22k to fix a crack bumper. WTF.

yeahyeah
11-13-2009, 10:21 AM
GT-R money, ya hurrd

SCHIDER23
11-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Jlude
:rofl: :rofl:

what a joke

:werd:

£11,000:eek: Outrageous :rofl:

HondaKid
11-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Loved the car... until I read of the repair costs, Google for engine, drivetrain work. Really this thing is going to have zero resale after the warranty runs out.

gen3teggy
11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
LOL i just looked this up, 2010 GTR front bumper retails at 2200.00 unpainted.

Jlude
11-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by gen3teggy

is that the bumper cover? It certainly seems like buddy may have been taken for a little ride.

rage2
11-13-2009, 11:23 AM
is that the bumper cover? It certainly seems like buddy may have been taken for a little ride.
If you opened the link, you'll see that it wasn't just bumper. It's the pedestrian safety system that pushed the price up. The rams that pops the hood up backwards was 6-7k.

n1zm0
11-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by rage2

If you opened the link, you'll see that it wasn't just bumper. It's the pedestrian safety system that pushed the price up. The rams that pops the hood up backwards was 6-7k.

yeah one time deployment only, that sucks especially in this case where it was a small nudge pretty much.

badatusrnames
11-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I wonder how easy it would be for those guys to disable the system...

scat19
11-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Wow! This is where computer systems are becoming very costly.

Side note - Better front downforce?

Trini
11-13-2009, 12:11 PM
bloody hell that is expensive

TorqueDog
11-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I share the sentiment in that thread of "better run back to Porsche before the arse falls out of the R35". That's insanity.

heavyD
11-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Why the heck would the ecu need replacement? Never heard of one-time use solid state electronics. Sounds like Nissan sold a $100,000 car on the cheap to make it look like a bargain and planned on making all the extra money back on service and parts. Who in the hell would pay $50K for a used high mileage GTR knowing what the upkeep is on these things?

kwazy
11-14-2009, 06:45 AM
The reason why it's so expensive to fix GTR's is because parts are not available yet. Pretty much everything is in japan and you would need to ship it here via air. I believe other cars have this pedestrian safety feature as well, not just the GTR but because the parts aren't available yet, it's hard for them to keep the cost down but also a part of it is Nissan has a big markup on alot of the parts.

Just like the GTR that crashed into the bank in Vancouver, everything, it was written off because of all the expensive parts although the damage wasn't actually that bad granted it did have a bit of frame damage, but if it was any other car, it would not have been written off.

1-Bar
11-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by kwazy
The reason why it's so expensive to fix GTR's is because parts are not available yet. Pretty much everything is in japan and you would need to ship it here via air. .....

Ah yes, over night parts from Japan......

Jlude
11-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by gen3teggy

I don't see the link that gen3teggy posted... cause that's the price/post I was referring to. :facepalm: :facepalm:

ZorroAMG
11-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Were you not in fact commenting that the guy with the crashed gtr got taken for a ride with the $11K bill based on gen3teggy's claim that a bumper is $2100?

Jlude
11-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Were you not in fact commenting that the guy with the crashed gtr got taken for a ride with the $11K bill based on gen3teggy's claim that a bumper is $2100?

It could seem that way, but no, I was basing it on shear ridiculousness of the repair costs (having to replace the ecu). I thought it was obvious that gen3teggy didn't price out all of the parts required for the repairs.

I retract my facepalms. I should have made that post in two separate comments.

Aleks
11-14-2009, 12:14 PM
That's nothing compared to how much Ford was charging for the GT500 hoods. $20,000 :eek:

Ford owners complained and got somwhere. Nissan GTR owners should try doing the same.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/11/shelby-lowering-price-of-20k-gt500kr-hood-after-web-outrage-eru/

2EFNFAST
11-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't understand how that pedestrian safety system works - okay, you hit a pedestrian, hood props up. Is this to prevent them from flying into your windshield? if so, won't the hood 'scoop' them up and roll them back forward onto the ground, to be crushed by your still-moving vehicle?

Joe-G
11-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Maybe it pops up but provides a cushion?

chkolny541
11-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
I don't understand how that pedestrian safety system works - okay, you hit a pedestrian, hood props up. Is this to prevent them from flying into your windshield? if so, won't the hood 'scoop' them up and roll them back forward onto the ground, to be crushed by your still-moving vehicle?

also confused

71car2
11-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Keep in mind that in England - the cost in Pounds is almost twice that in our Canadian dollars. At today's currency rates - GBP to CAD is like 1.00 to 1.75 which is bloody expensive!

My_name_is_Rob
11-14-2009, 02:22 PM

I believe the idea behind this design, is to propel the pedestrian up over the car instead of going through the windshield and or hitting the roof.

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob

I believe the idea behind this design, is to propel the pedestrian up over the car instead of going through the windshield and or hitting the roof.
LOL it's a shitty deal anyway you look at it. I'm surprised Nissan put that much effort into developing a "safety" System like that. How often do pedestrians get his by GTR's?

rage2
11-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
LOL it's a shitty deal anyway you look at it. I'm surprised Nissan put that much effort into developing a "safety" System like that. How often do pedestrians get his by GTR's?
It's a requirement in Europe with their new pedestrian protection legislation. All cars there have some sort of system to pass the pedestrian crash tests.

This system doesn't exist in USDM GTR's.

95teetee
11-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't understand how that pedestrian safety system works - okay, you hit a pedestrian, hood props up. Is this to prevent them from flying into your windshield? if so, won't the hood 'scoop' them up and roll them back forward onto the ground, to be crushed by your still-moving vehicle? of course not- it will propel them over your car.

To be crushed by the vehicle behind you.

Scope951
11-14-2009, 07:53 PM
It is meant to act as a cushion in case of a pedestrian incident. It was in the Jaguars quite a few years ago.

Either way disgusting price for repairs, someone must say something.

Gibson
11-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
of course not- it will propel them over your car.

To be crushed by the vehicle behind you.

Or to be cut in half by the spoiler.

zieg
11-15-2009, 01:59 AM
This just serves to further convince me that the gtr is a giant pile of crap and is pretty much the most awful thing nissan has done to the world of cars.

and i like nissan. :(

Canmorite
11-15-2009, 11:38 AM

It's a requirement in Europe with their new pedestrian protection legislation. All cars there have some sort of system to pass the pedestrian crash tests.

This system doesn't exist in USDM GTR's.

That's retarded. Pedestrians can protect themselves by not walking in front of a moving vehicle. The costs associated with that pedestrian protection system are outrageous! Luckily it isn't over here, yet...

FiveFreshFish
11-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

That's retarded. Pedestrians can protect themselves by not walking in front of a moving vehicle. The costs associated with that pedestrian protection system are outrageous! Luckily it isn't over here, yet...

Other passive pedestrian protection systems have been around awhile in the design of the front end.

I remember reading somewhere that modern hood design requires that there must be a minimum gap between the top of the engine and the inside of the hood, something like 10 cm. This is a crumple zone to absorb the pedestrian upon impact. IMO, taller hoods make the cars look bloated and ugly.

Compare a 1993 Accord...
http://static.e-junkie.com/ej/media/content/69824.jpg

...with a 2008 Accord. Just by looking at where the headlight housing is positioned relative to the front wheel arch gives you an idea how much taller the new car is, not to mention it also has larger diameter tires.
http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyersGuide2008/photos/2008/Honda/Accord/Sedan/2008_Honda_Accord_ext_5.jpg

rage2
11-15-2009, 01:26 PM
The US will be adopting that soon, just a matter of time.

Now's a good time to invest in companies that make those hood shock things...

Gibson
11-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Pedestrian safety laws are a huge reason why pop up headlights no longer exist. :cry:

Xtrema
11-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by kwazy
The reason why it's so expensive to fix GTR's is because parts are not available yet. Pretty much everything is in japan and you would need to ship it here via air.

This applies to every Infiniti vehicle except QX.

KandabashiDevil
11-15-2009, 09:37 PM
R34 is king.

Legend of Red Emblem died in 2002.

95teetee
11-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Gibson

Or to be cut in half by the spoiler. come to think of it, it would feel real good as you slide over the roof to have your arm slide under the spoiler as you go by. But the rest of you keeps going:D

Orbie
11-16-2009, 02:16 AM
The system as Rage pointed out is a standard in Europe for pedestrian safety which will likely make it's way here in the end. Jaguar was the first to have it on the XK, and Nissan has incorporated it first on the G37's/Skylines and now on the European R35. As much fun as it is to say it's so the GT-R can launch pedestrians into the air, it's actually to act as a cushion to prevent head injuries on newer cars with extremely sloped front hoods. Like FiveFreshFish says, it's to increase the distance between the hood and the engine so a pedestrian that's hit doesn't suffer major head trauma. Obviously we're talking low speed impact here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/26/jaguar-blows-its-lid-for-safety/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/02/nissan-skyline-to-adopt-pop-up-engine-hood/

Damn the GT-R for having to meet new pedestrian safety regulations and thus costing more money to repair in the event. R35 is the worst! :rolleyes:

2Valve0
11-16-2009, 02:25 AM
:rofl:

TorqueDog
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Orbie
Damn the GT-R for having to meet new pedestrian safety regulations and thus costing more money to repair in the event. R35 is the worst! :rolleyes: Damn people for being so fucking stupid that we actually need to build this sort of technology into cars in the first place.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Why the heck would the ecu need replacement? Never heard of one-time use solid state electronics.

As I understand it, in the event of an accident the ECU locks itself out permanently so the data can be analyzed in the case of an insurance claim or whatnot. The ECU keeps track of vehicle data, so the lockout keeps the driver from being able to reset the ECU after an accident where they were speeding, etc.

Freeskier
11-16-2009, 10:56 PM
So it's like a black box? Seems sensible

heavyD
11-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

As I understand it, in the event of an accident the ECU locks itself out permanently so the data can be analyzed in the case of an insurance claim or whatnot. The ECU keeps track of vehicle data, so the lockout keeps the driver from being able to reset the ECU after an accident where they were speeding, etc.

Well it's not like they can't store that information in non-volatile memory that is retained after powering down that can only be accessed by factory scan tools. Sounds like more of an excuse to make money back on low volume, new technology.