PDA

View Full Version : can i fight it

samantha
11-19-2003, 01:30 PM
HI
I had a mishap yesterday ,i already had reniewed my registration,and while i was trying to stick my sticker on registration plate it just couldn't stick so i thought i'll buy the glue from Superstore and will stick it.
I kept the stiker in my wallet and drove just after 5 min,a police ar pulled me ,i showed the stiker to the policeman and told him everything,and showed him all registration docs.even then he gave me a ticket of $230.
I just don't wanna give it ,b/c I commited no fault.
Please Please tell me what can i do?

Hakkola
11-19-2003, 01:39 PM
That's not cool, I dunno though, registration stickers are a pretty big deal, and by definition you did comit a fault, but he should have understood.

I don't know if points deal with these kinds of tickets, I've never had to go to them, but I don't think they could do anything, is there a court date for that kind of ticket???

There must be something you can do, just not sure exactly what.

Might as well call one of the registration offices or points, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

samantha
11-19-2003, 01:42 PM
yeah theres a court date.At least the tickets amount get reduced I'll be happy then.

Khyron
11-19-2003, 01:45 PM
That's such BS - hell, what if someone had stolen your sticker? I would definately fight it.

Khyron

Ben
11-19-2003, 02:09 PM
you can fight that for sure, go down to the crown prosecutor in about a week after the date of issue on the ticket (it takes a while to enter the system, and explain it, cause thats week, if not, definatly go to court the day it says to.

sputnik
11-19-2003, 02:09 PM
sounds like a BS story

if you have the valid registration on you.... and you can show the cop that the sticker has no adhesive on it... the cop SHOULD understand

SERIOUSLY

are we supposed to believe that?

:bullshit: :bullshit:

Talies R
11-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
sounds like a BS story

Exactly what I was thinking.

benyl
11-19-2003, 03:38 PM
It is BS. But reality is that you broke the law by driving without it.

There is more to this story than you are obviously telling us. It is November 19. That is the middle of the month. If you told me this story and it was the first day of the month, I could understand. Clearly, you have been driving for AT LEAST the last 19 days (if not more) illegally having not renewed your registration.

It sucks, but that is what I see... and I bet that is what the cop saw.

Anyway, that is here nor there. I got the same ticket. Went into the prosecutors office and got it reduced to $100.

rc2002
11-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Cool! Has the BS smiley always been there?

Some cops are power-hungry bastards. So there could be a cop that would refuse to show any understanding in a situation like this. But in this case the registration date does give it away.

Khyron is right though - what if the sticker falls off in the car wash or gets stolen or something? Definitely not worth $230.

cocoabrova
11-19-2003, 04:37 PM
I think Sputnik is saying that samantha's story is :bullshit:
Anyhow, just go to court and explain the situation to the Crown prosecutor.

Weapon_R
11-19-2003, 07:18 PM
I think it's a BS story too. Regardless of whether a sticker is in place, an officer has the ability to verify on his/her onboard computer of the status of the vehicles registration.

If it's true, take it to the crown prosecuter, and if that doesn't work, to court. You will win, if everything you said was true.

szw
11-19-2003, 07:48 PM
A cop can also verify if you have a valid drivers licence or not, but can still give you a ticket for not carrying it with you.

DJ Lazy
11-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by benyl
It is BS. But reality is that you broke the law by driving without it.

There is more to this story than you are obviously telling us. It is November 19. That is the middle of the month. If you told me this story and it was the first day of the month, I could understand. Clearly, you have been driving for AT LEAST the last 19 days (if not more) illegally having not renewed your registration.

It sucks, but that is what I see... and I bet that is what the cop saw.

Anyway, that is here nor there. I got the same ticket. Went into the prosecutors office and got it reduced to $100.

WTF makes you think she has been driving around for 19 says with out registration??... You re-register your car from a year when your previous registration was.. if that was November 18th of 2002 then I don't see how her getting new registration on nov 18th 2003 is illegal....

EDIT: If I am wrong please correct me... But I am pretty sure.

Weapon_R
11-19-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by szw
A cop can also verify if you have a valid drivers licence or not, but can still give you a ticket for not carrying it with you.

Yep, except we arent talking about Licences, and it is two entirely different things :thumbsup:

The last time I checked, we don't carry driver's licence stickers either.

szw
11-19-2003, 09:13 PM
haha yea, actually I was more referring to the part that even if the cop can verify something...he/she is still able to write you a ticket for not displaying a sticker or not showing your licence...unfair as it may be.

Weapon_R
11-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by szw
haha yea, actually I was more referring to the part that even if the cop can verify something...he/she is still able to write you a ticket for not displaying a sticker or not showing your licence...unfair as it may be.

The problem is that these are commonly stolen, as weird as it sounds, I have had one taken off my plate. When I was pulled over, I was as surprised as he was, because in his computer, it showed the car was registered, but we could both see that the sticker was not there. He let me go, and I just had to get another sticker from the registry.

link785
11-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Another point, assuming you already have a sticker on there from previous renewals, can we not assume that the cops aren't exactly LOOKING for the sticker until they pull you over? I dunno about you guys, but it's not THAT easy to see the year on the sticker without getting out and looking at it.

So I'm assuming she got pulled over for another reason to begin with, and the cop was just looking for something to ticket her on?

TegLover
11-20-2003, 12:46 AM
you're right its hard to read the stickers and so thats why they are color coded

samantha
11-20-2003, 10:19 AM
first of all everything happened as I told u guys,secondly my registration was done on time he saw it on his computer and also i showed him my papers.
I was doing nothing wrong at the time he pulled over me,it was just a bad day to me.
i'll go to the court soon.wish me best luck,i wish it won't happen to anyone.

Roadrage
11-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

WTF makes you think she has been driving around for 19 says with out registration??... You re-register your car from a year when your previous registration was.. if that was November 18th of 2002 then I don't see how her getting new registration on nov 18th 2003 is illegal....

I'm pretty sure your registration is done by month and not the exact date.

benyl
11-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

The registration expires at the end of the month. For me, since my last name starts with a 'W', that month is December. This means that I have until December 31st to renew my registration before the cops have any reason to pull me over just for that.

What I am saying is that the only reason that Samantha was pulled over was because her registration expired at the end of AT LEAST October. So on her plate, she would have an OCT on one side and a 2003 on the other.

When you go to the Register, they give you a year sticker (like 2004). The month of registration is fixed by the first letter of your last name.

You re-register your car from a year when your previous registration was.. if that was November 18th of 2002 then I don't see how her getting new registration on nov 18th 2003 is illegal....

You obviously have not registered your car, or at least didn't pay attention when you did (not a flame). If for instance, I bought a car in August and then went to register it. I would have the choice of registering it until December of that year, or December of the following year. If I chose that year, I would pay a pro-rated amount. If I chose the next year, I would pay the pro-rated amount plus 1 years registration. The registration for me, would always expire in December, no matter when I register it.

DJ Lazy
11-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by benyl
You obviously have not registered your car, or at least didn't pay attention when you did (not a flame). If for instance, I bought a car in August and then went to register it. I would have the choice of registering it until December of that year, or December of the following year. If I chose that year, I would pay a pro-rated amount. If I chose the next year, I would pay the pro-rated amount plus 1 years registration. The registration for me, would always expire in December, no matter when I register it.

I haven't had my own ride for over 2 years nows.. so I have kinda forgotten the process... :dunno:
Thanks for the heads up tho..:)

DonJuan
11-20-2003, 12:31 PM
I saw a bumper sticker today that I think is pertinent:

TO SERVE AND PROTECT
NOT
TO SERVE AND COLLECT!:rofl:

But anyhoo... I got this ticket before (cant believe it's $230 now) went to the posecutor on the court date, told him: "Ay man... you know like it was registered and stuff eh? I wuz just on the way to wash the car before I put it on ya know, cuz you know clean car... clean sticker, so howz about givin me a break eh?" And the guy was like "OK then sir just make sure it doesn't happen again" and poof the $70 ticket (2 years ago) dissapeared.

PS: Dont actually talk to the Prosecutor like that^^ (turns out that the prosecutor that day was a friend of the family; so much for justice being blind!)

link785
11-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by samantha
I was doing nothing wrong at the time he pulled over me,it was just a bad day to me.

This is what I have a hard time believing. He must have had SOME reason to pull you over, I guess maybe he saw the different colored tag, although I dunno if it's that recognizable from that far away.

JAYMEZ
11-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Ya you can fight it for sure , you'll win , its a BS Ticket :bullshit:

00redLUDE
11-22-2003, 02:39 AM
That's :bullshit: Same thing happened to me. I had renewed my registration but forgot to put the sticker on my plates. I was driving one day and was followed by a policeman on a DIRTBIKE?! He called my plates in, realized it was registered then pulled me over. Asked for my registration, gave it to him along with the sticker I had not put on yet. Told me to put it on and that was it. What happened to you was just :thumbsdow and you should fight it.

403Gemini
11-22-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
sounds like a BS story

if you have the valid registration on you.... and you can show the cop that the sticker has no adhesive on it... the cop SHOULD understand

SERIOUSLY

are we supposed to believe that?

:bullshit: :bullshit:

:werd:

you had 24 hours to show proof of liscence and registration to get the ticket void. stop bein a hater to the cops and wanting to be cool with a story

AutodreamMarvin
11-22-2003, 09:31 AM
my friend got pulled over by the cops for not having the proper date on his plate. they didn't give him a second chance to show him that he had proper registration.
then again, that cop was on foot, and he didn't have his sticker with him, but he did have up to date registration.

maximus
11-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

you had 24 hours to show proof of liscence and registration to get the ticket void. stop bein a hater to the cops and wanting to be cool with a story

According to the LAW sure. But believe it or not, some Cops either don't know the law or sometimes just don't follow it. I got a tinting ticket once on my way to work. Cop pulls me over and tells me to take off the tint or tow the car. Really rude, just like that. I was really nice (always am to cops because they're people too) and tried to explain that I would take it off after work. So he said no right there and then. I called downtown because I knew the rule was they had to give you couple days. Lady was very helpful and says they have to give you 3 days. So I tell him that and you know what he says, "Fine. Then I'm going to give you a failure to obey a peace officer and a ticket to my dad (registered under his name back then) failure to maintain a safe vehicle. And you know what, give me some time I'll find some more. Right now you're at about $300."

I got off with only the $25 ticket for tint. Why didn't the others stand, because they were bogus. Failure to obey a peace officer telling you to do something that is not correct? So if he told me to shoot someone and I didn't I'd get a ticket? You know what they told me? I should seriously consider filing a complaint with the department, and this was one of their own. I didn't because my dad said that wasn't good to give cops a reason to dislike you so he made me not do it.

Bottom line is that some cops are on power trips. I know most of you that know some personally think they are golden and never make mistakes or anything but the truth is that some do. I agree that there are the good ones out there, but you can't deny that there are also the bad ones. Maybe this person didn't get 24hrs. I didn't get 3 days.

davidI
11-22-2003, 06:24 PM
I think the 24 hr to prove you have a license law is gone...

JAYMEZ
11-23-2003, 01:56 AM
Rookie cops suck ass , ive been pulled over and told to step out of the vehicle so they could search for drugs and what not for no god damn reason.

Also like 2 weeks ago on Glenmore by MRC me and my friends got pulled over by the Swat truck and 3 cars and a helecopter , cuz some Video HQ had been robbed and they drove a black old car and the kids had black on... i mean is it rare to see kids wear black jackets??! and they searched the car and told my friend to shut the fuck up cuz he was asking why they pulled us over , and then after all was done , we got no apolagy.

BMWilli
11-23-2003, 02:21 AM
fuckin cops i hate them! go fight your ticket

403Gemini
11-24-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Rookie cops suck ass , ive been pulled over and told to step out of the vehicle so they could search for drugs and what not for no god damn reason.

yea those are the ones that think they can change the world, they are the dumb ass ones lol

and im pretty damn positive that you have 24 hours to prove liscnece/registration, cause if your debit card declines at gas station, you hafta leave your card there as you go home to get cash. so if a cop pulls you over thats a legit reason for proving a liscence in 24 hours.

sexualbanana
11-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Also like 2 weeks ago on Glenmore by MRC me and my friends got pulled over by the Swat truck and 3 cars and a helecopter , cuz some Video HQ had been robbed and they drove a black old car and the kids had black on... i mean is it rare to see kids wear black jackets??! and they searched the car and told my friend to shut the fuck up cuz he was asking why they pulled us over , and then after all was done , we got no apolagy.

Yes, it's all their fault for suspecting you for wearing the same color jacket, driving the same color car and in the same general area as a robbery.