PDA

View Full Version : New Home - inspector cost, lawyer cost

cannondale1
11-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Ballpark, what would the lawyer and home inspector cost?

Any other misc. asc. costs when buying a home?

dexlargo
11-13-2009, 02:59 PM
On a new home, do you need an inspection? Doesn't the house come with a warranty? I suppose a prudent thing to do would be to get an independent inspection to identify any issues so that they can be fixed right away and not escape unnoticed for a long period.

As for a lawyer, don't you use the builder's lawyer?

Or do you mean a home that's new to you?

If so, just call some home inspectors and lawyers and ask for ballpark numbers. Pick the best priced one that you feel confident with, or ask for referrals from friends or around here, but at a very rough guess, it would probably be in the neighbourhood of 2 thousand dollars for both, unless the going rates have gone up significantly in the last few years.

extm88
11-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey,

It ranges,
For a inspector you get what you pay for. A couple hundred dollar inspection is going to be stuff you could do yourself. I higher end one will get into great detail and find things that may not even be a issue to you.

Lawyers are a bit more but not as much as you would think like in a divorce or something lol.

Some Realtors even pay for all of your closing costs as a gift ;)

Shop around and if you want pm me for inspector and lawyer info that I have worked with alot. Not sure if im allowed to mention them on the board.

barmanjay
11-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Ballpark:

Home inspector - $345 - $600

Lawyer - $550 - $1500 (buyer side - pending mortgage size)

There was a thread a little while ago

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/255985/closing-costs/

masoncgy
11-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Let me know if you need a closing lawyer, I can refer you to a real good one who has great pricing. Just PM me when it comes time.

bobafixed
11-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Is it necessary to have an independent inspector for a new home being built? If so, what stage(s) should we do the inspection (electrical, right before possession, etc)?