PDA

View Full Version : Molson Canadian Ballroom?

Weapon_R
11-19-2003, 05:52 PM
As you may or may not know, I am one of the commissioners (Academic) for the Students Union. Last night, something very interesting was brought up concerning the renaming of the MacHall balroom to something that would include Molson Canadian - it would be to the effect of "Molson Canadian Ballroom" instead of "MacEwan Ballroom".

The rationale for this move is that Molson is willing to provide a large amount of money (confidential) that will be used to renovate the ballroom, which is in great need of these renovations. In return, Molson will have extended rights to advertisements in the ballroom and the renaming of the ballroom.

How does everyone who goes to the U of C feel about this?

AquamosH
11-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Funding's gotta come from somewhere. IMO, who cares, let them have the ballroom.

szw
11-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Who is/was MacEwan?

ShOwOfF
11-19-2003, 06:16 PM
The MacEwen ballroom is the one in the basement floor of msc right? Im not sure I'm usually always in scurfield but if its what im thinking of then I think the SU should let Molson fund it. No harm as long as the rest of the building remains as the MacEwen Student Center.
Oh BTW congratulations on the win for Academic Commissioner.
:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
11-19-2003, 06:55 PM
^^Thx

The ballroom in question is upstairs near the Chaplain center.

Si_FlyGuy
11-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Why don't you put forth a proposal to Molson for the rights to rename the entire university (Molson's University of Canadians) if they put a substantial contribution towards tuition costs?

On there surface, there isn't much harm caused from re-naming the ballroom; it's just the principle that another piece of the university's heritage is being sold without first trying other forms of fund raising.

I haven't gone to the U of C in years, so you can probably discount my thoughts.

WhiteNikes
11-19-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
On there surface, there isn't much harm caused from re-naming the ballroom; it's just the principle that another piece of the university's heritage is being sold without first trying other forms of fund raising.

I kinda feel this way as well, but on the other hand I know that the moneys gotta come from somewhere.

Paul
11-19-2003, 07:57 PM
U of L is the same way right now. Half the rooms are named after companies, same with library study rooms, the 24hr study center and most of the break-out rooms are all named after some company. Doesn't really make a difference its not like people say, "Oh i gotta head to my class in the Coca-Cola Class Room." They still say, oh i got class in L1060.

Who cares what they call a ballroom, if the company's willing to spend a little coin makin it look purdy. :dunno:

5.9 R/T
11-19-2003, 08:16 PM
I say burn it down and collect insurance.

nismodrifter
11-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I say burn it down and collect insurance.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ajay
11-20-2003, 11:23 AM
Corporate sponsorship.....it's the way every post secondary institution in Canada is going.

I agree with Showoff....as long as the rest of Mac Hall is referred to as MacEwan Student Centre then it really shouldn't make a difference.

Canadian 2.5RS
11-20-2003, 11:52 AM
shit we already sold out to pepsi why not molson. MAybe we can get some beer dispensing machines. mmmm cold beer from a machine.

TK91GT
11-20-2003, 05:25 PM
I say go for it. I have drank more then one molson in that ballroom, it would almost be like an omage to my liver.

maximus
11-20-2003, 06:29 PM
I disagree totally. I betcha molosn is paying for more than the just the renovation! I think its sad but I bet it will go through. The University is all about money now its disgusting.

DeSi
11-20-2003, 06:57 PM
that shits gross

3G
11-20-2003, 07:59 PM
no offense meant but isn't Molsons every trailer parks official drink? :rofl: :rofl: so what would that make the ballroom? :dunno:

*edit* didnt mean any racism by that ;)

davidI
11-20-2003, 08:43 PM
I think it would be a good name change. Mac hall is always going to be referred to as Mac Hall so I figure the money from a corporate sponsor would be great and it wouldn't be taking away from honoring someone's name. Maybe they can hook the students up with some 'Sample' packs or something as well!

maximus
11-20-2003, 08:59 PM
The only thing they'll "hook up" for students is only molson beer allowed at the den and slowly the price for beer will rise to a rediculous level.

But as long as the U gets a nice chunk of change they don't care. Its not like they get enough money from tuition.

TK91GT
11-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
no offense meant but isn't Molsons every trailer parks official drink? :rofl: :rofl: so what would that make the ballroom? :dunno:

*edit* didnt mean any racism by that ;)

That would be lucky extra or TNT. The average six of molson is around or over $10 a far cry from the $4.99 that I'm sure your most trashiest of trash are willing to pay. But hey I'm sure that your all about the Cristal.