PDA

View Full Version : Severed Head Lives

Pollywog
11-16-2009, 09:43 AM
cEcUTMpyRLY
Ancient video, but very interesting nonetheless.

Kritafo
11-16-2009, 09:54 AM
I got excited thinking it was the music group Severed Heads..interesting video though, it amazes me what they can do. But like the youtube comments I am not sure if I should be repulsed or amazed.

n1zm0
11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
fk me, idk if you could call that living. interesting tho, experiments like these are how we know what we do today with how the our bodies work i guess.

freshprince1
11-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Isn't this an excerpt from the newest X-Files movie?

Tik-Tok
11-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
fk me, idk if you could call that living. interesting tho, experiments like these are how we know what we do today with how the our bodies work i guess.

Unfortunately, a LOT of modern science has come from things people have done, that I could personally never morally do.

I'm glad someone could though, otherwise we may still be in the dark ages.

(now when the fuck do we start putting heads in jar's à la Futurama?)

Kritafo
11-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Unfortunately, a LOT of modern science has come from things people have done, that I could personally never morally do.

I'm glad someone could though, otherwise we may still be in the dark ages.

(now when the fuck do we start putting heads in jar's à la Futurama?)

Funny I was wondering the same thing after I posted...or have they already done that? It's just a hop skip and a jump away from this experiment so many years ago.

FivE.SeveN
11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
1940!

adidas
11-16-2009, 12:54 PM
thats pretty crazy!

Freeskier
11-16-2009, 11:48 PM
whoah, that's intense. Shows how much behaviour is reflex and not concious, really interesting

slinkie
11-17-2009, 12:55 AM
what in the blue fuck

spikerS
11-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by slinkie
what in the blue fuck

that does not even begin to describe the words that i am trying to find to say

Type_B
11-17-2009, 01:20 AM
i wonder if they have experimented on a deceased human head. im pretty sure they have. its just tooo gruesome to watch. poor dog though i hope he was already dead before this video.

dexlargo
11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Seems suspicious to me. The dog head moving at the end seemd to be too much for a head with no body for the neck muscles to pull against. I ain't no scientician, but that isn't the only thing that makes me think it's fake. Time for Snopes!

ETA - Okay, seems the video was actually produced in 1940, and the scientist at the beginning was a real one from the time. However, the film was met with scepticism even at its original release.

From the Wikipedia Article: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiments_in_the_Revival_of_Organisms)

Since its Prelinger Archives release, the film has provoked much controversy. Ken Smith, author of Mental Hygiene: Classroom Films 1945 - 1970, believes the film is fake. He mentions, among other things, that the decapitated dog scene shown in the film could have been produced with simple special effects. Others are skeptical of J. B. S. Haldane's ties to the Communist party;[citation needed] they propose that the film was produced as Soviet propaganda.

Bryukhonenko's decapitation experiment was remarked upon by George Bernard Shaw.[1]

There are also certain anatomical issues that were ignored such as the fact draining blood from the circulatory system causes the vessels to collapse which would make reintroduction of blood as depicted in the film difficult if not impossible.[citation needed] Also the procedure with severed head only mentioned oxygenated blood being fed back into the severed head. Neural cells require other components besides just oxygen to survive and function properly for anything but the briefest time. Also, the head jerks and moves at some moments, which would be impossible without the neck muscles attached to the torso and spinal bones. It seems likely that while experiments were really carried out, the operation depicted in the video was staged for the purpose of producing this science film.

95teetee
11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Type_B
poor dog though i hope he was already dead before this video. I was thinking the same thing- I would have been okay with a Nazi soldier's head, but not a poor little dog:D

alloroc
11-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Totally fucked up and completely gruesome and wrong but the Nazis did a lot of this type of testing. (also on people)
All the statistics like "how long can you live in XX temperature water" came from them.

turbotrip
11-17-2009, 11:44 PM
i highly doubt that is real

nonlinear
11-18-2009, 12:12 AM

codetrap
11-18-2009, 08:40 AM
This is just wrong on so many levels.